Forums Latest Members

Just won this Admiral 5 Star... is this a redial?

1. MohTheory Aug 24, 2020

Hi All,

Just did a last minute impulse bid (silly me I know) on an admiral 5 star I've been watching... long time lurker of this forum and was wondering if the dial looks too clean? or if there is anything else that's wrong with this watch?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE...kqtDrycWrY%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Did I pay too much?

Thank you in advance for the feedback!

2. michael22 Aug 24, 2020

Please post pics rather than links.
    Looks OK, but for the date wheel.

Shabbaz and MohTheory like this.
  3. MohTheory Aug 24, 2020

Ahh... I see what you mean now...

I've posted the two the the pictures they had.

s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg
  4. Benbradstock Aug 24, 2020

Dial looks correct and very clean to me, as does the case. The fact that there are no shots of the movement or interior caseback is a shame, hopefully all of that checks out. Assuming so, price is fair. Just one guy’s opinion of course.

Shabbaz and MohTheory like this.
  5. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Aug 25, 2020

Nice looking watch, great make, great condition, very reasonable price. You’ll get a lot of pleasure from this. Just wear it and enjoy it.

DaveK, Duracuir1 and MohTheory like this.
  6. MohTheory Aug 25, 2020

I appreciate the feedback! Thank you

7. Tempus Aug 26, 2020

Simple and classic...I like it.

MohTheory likes this.
  8. MohTheory Sep 3, 2020

So I just received the watch... but the date can not be quick set (I push in the crown and nothing happens). I’ve asked the seller about this and he’s told me not all movements are quick set for this model and to try pull out the crown method (but there’s only one option when I do this and it changes the time). Might be worth opening maybe and checking the movement? That do you all think?

9C054963-3027-485E-9ACB-7D4E6C1D4978.jpeg
  9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 3, 2020

You open it you own it.

If the seller din't specify a "quick set date function" then it's up to you to fix.

MohTheory likes this.
  10. michael22 Sep 3, 2020

If you know the calibre, you can check rannft. they generally list the functions a cal. should have.

11. MohTheory Sep 3, 2020

don’t seem to have to tools yet for a screw back... the original listing had no mention about the date function , however they did mention the movement was overhauled. Might take it to a watchmaker tomorrow for an estimate, if it’s too costly I may dispute it with the seller.

Thanks will use that once I know it tomorrow.

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 3, 2020

Dan S, janice&fred, Deafboy and 3 others like this.
  13. MohTheory Sep 3, 2020

Thanks gatorcpa, I found this exact video hence why I thought it was a push-in quick set function. Bit confused that the seller thinks it's not... I'll try take photos tomorrow of the movement.

14. JwRosenthal Sep 3, 2020

I've had a few push dates that get sticky, only a pull to set and full push back to case gets them moving, and sometimes they don't really make the full rotation. Has always just been oil that has turned to tar and sorted easily with a service.

MohTheory likes this.
  15. MohTheory Sep 4, 2020

Hi all!

Thanks for being such an awesome community.

I finally got my toolkit and have opened the case. I’ve checked ranfft (http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&2&2uswk&Longines_506) and it matches.

please see the photos.

So do I go back to the seller about this? As it was stated the movement was overhauled, don’t know whether that counts as a service? (Excuse my ‘beginnerness’) or do I just go and get a service done (thanks @JwRosenthal)?

2ADACAC0-B41A-43ED-9BA1-17C8D33C18A2.jpeg
  16. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 4, 2020

Entering into dispute with a seller over a $450 watch is surely never going to end with you feeling any better. Just give it back or keep it and enjoy the learning experience.

it looks lovely to my untrained eyes, and if it needs a service I would put it down to Watch Buying School Fees and move on.

As an added thought. If a watch sells for $450 and that includes a service, either the seller is losing money, or it doesn’t. (Include a real service).

WatchCor, michael22 and MohTheory like this.
  17. MohTheory Sep 4, 2020

Exactly what I was thinking, I love the watch and it’s a learning experience for me (I’ll get it serviced, just didn’t realise an overhaul doesn’t mean a service).

Additional question: does anyone know whether the serial number on the movement should match the case back? For a longines?

18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 4, 2020

For this watch, no.

Longines case and movement serial numbers matched for a long time up until the early 1970’s. At that point, the movement numbers jumped up to the 50 million range and the case numbers did not.

Regarding your transaction, I would contact the seller through eBay and let them know of the problem with the date change. Ask for their suggestion. If they refuse do to anything, you will need to get eBay involved. Be prepared to ship the watch back to them for a refund.

Good luck,
    gatorcpa

MohTheory likes this.
  19. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Sep 4, 2020

Wait.

How are you trying to advance the date? You advance til the date changes and the back up to 9 and advance past 12. Repeat til correct.

20. JwRosenthal Sep 4, 2020

Unfortunalty there seems to be varying ideas of what a "service" is in the watch selling community. A service implies that the watch has been fully dismantled, all parts cleaned, parts that are out of spec changed, then reassembled, oiled and the watch timed and tested. There are degrees of how anal retentive a watchmaker wants to be about how out of spec parts can be (some close enough is close enough) but the basics of a service are the same. Anything less than a CLA (clean lubricate adjust) isn't a service.
    We have seen sellers claim a watch has been "serviced" and all they did was adjust the ragulator to get it close and maybe put a drop of oil in gritty parts (which only makes the grit a sticky mess).
    If they don't offer proof of service (watchmakers invoice), then assume it didn't happen. If they claim it was and their price reflects this- then ask for proof- or it didn't happen.
    Always assume any used watch needs a full service and parts replacement unless the seller can provide hard proof.

MohTheory likes this.