Forums Latest Members

Just started looking for my birth year watch and would like your opinion on this.

1. Steve Essex May 13, 2018

2. Dan S May 13, 2018

Seller discloses that the dial is refinished.

Steve Essex likes this.
  3. Steve Essex May 13, 2018

Ah right, thanks. What does that entail - repainted or copy/non original dial? I’ve seen references regarding refinished dials before but never really understood exactly what it meant. Does it really devalue a watch much? Sorry if that’s a stupid question.

4. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia May 13, 2018

Dial should look like mine. It doesn’t. And it’s overpriced.

52DA9DCB-09A3-45FF-A1CE-0E6BAC526C27.jpeg

nonuffinkbloke and Steve Essex like this.
  5. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia May 13, 2018

Also, post a pic of the watch you are considering. The links will only last a short while

6. Steve Essex May 13, 2018

Thanks. If it looks to good to be true.......

499575E2-028E-45F1-9E05-F0CFA2257E19.jpeg

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  7. Dan S May 13, 2018

Repainted.

Steve Essex likes this.
  8. ulackfocus May 13, 2018

Not a completely shabby refinishing job. If the SWISS MADE was lower and aligned properly, and the OMEGA AUTOMATIC lettering was the correct size, it might be somewhat acceptable.

Dials are 30% or more of the value of a watch.

Steve Essex likes this.
  9. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus May 13, 2018

When a dial is refinished the metal parts on the dial are first removed (numerals, hour markers, logo, etc.) then the dial stripped and printed/lacquered. The metal parts are re-installed and luminescent material applied (those small white dots at the end of the hour markers). Members of this forum are for the most part purists and value originality above all, hence the response you got.

That said I think this watch looks good.
    The comment about pricing is an opinion. The seller is in the business of refurbishing watches and prices the watches that buyers are willing to pay. Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

10. Spruce Sunburst dial fan May 13, 2018

The watch looks good and if you’re happy and intending to wear it rather than re-sell it then that’s what matters.
    Although as #Deafboy indicates, most OF forum posters are purists, we regularly chew over the old chestnut of comparing a restored and collectible car with the merits, or lack of them, of a restored vintage watch.
    That having been said, nice though the watch looks, IMO it is overpriced.

Steve Essex likes this.
  11. Dan S May 13, 2018

With patience, I think you will be able to find a great birth-year Omega for roughly half the asking price of that watch. Since you are limited to a specific year, it might take you a bit longer than if you were just looking for a particular style.

Steve Essex likes this.
  12. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction May 13, 2018

I could probably live with the dial, but the caseback, though done with some skill just looks wrong. I think there would have been "Seamaster" and "waterproof" within borders originally on the caseback bevel. I know they tend to get worn/fainter with age and use, but that, combined with the circular centre just jars with me.

If you go down the original/authentic/unrestored route, it's more than likely you will have to accept that the dial, hands and case may not be pristine. If you look at the example @gemini4 posted above, it's apparent that there has been some age-related degradation of the dial and hands. This is frequently referred to as patina and whether or not you find it attractive is a matter of personal taste.

Don't jump on the first example you come across, do some research here and elsewhere and you will be in a better position to choose a watch that will appeal to you at a price that reflects the market for original and sensitively restored watches. Whether you decide to go for a more original example with signs of ageing or a restored/refurbished watch is down to you. After all, it's your cash you'll be spending and your wrist it's going to be sitting on ;)

Steve Essex and gemini4 like this.
  13. Edward53 May 13, 2018

The trouble with vintage watches is, the more you find out, the more picky you become and the less imperfections are acceptable to you. (Rather like Mrs. E. knowing the pub and restaurant trade inside out, which means we have trouble finding anywhere to eat...) I go along with the others that the redialling is well done, but still there are faults in the placement of the Swiss Made and the e's in Seamaster don't look right to me. Also the minute hand in most (not quite all, but nearly) vintage Omegas should just reach the minute markers track, and this one goes well beyond it. I'm not confident the crown is right either as I think it's too early for the watch - but I'm not definite about that. And even for a completely original one in that condition, I think the price is still too high.

If you are not tied to the idea of a Seamaster, some nice Constellation 505s were being produced in the late 50s. Here's my 1957 example (not for going!):

IMG_6136.JPG

Steve Essex, gemini4 and Dan S like this.
  14. jimmyd13 May 13, 2018

You were born in 1957? The year of the first Speedmaster; Railmaster; Seamaster 300 .... Man, you are in dire need of a lottery win

Steve Essex, nonuffinkbloke and Dan S like this.
  15. ulackfocus May 13, 2018

Or a more reasonable target. Contrary to the belief of some members, there are more than 3 watches in existence from 1957.

Steve Essex, kkt and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  16. jimmyd13 May 13, 2018

Dennis, I'm two bottles of wine and a flask of sake into my birthday celebrations ..... There were only ever three watches Omega ever made, and those three watches were all introduced in 1957!

17. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan May 13, 2018

In England, things are very grim for us 1957 babies.:( We are all now 60, so nearly dead,:( back aches and gotta get up and pee in the dark twice every night,:( 'stiffys' are getting a bit 'moody' :eek: most of us can't afford our dream birth year watches,:( can't get a free bus pass yet:( and they've moved the fakkin State Pension to our 66th birthday!:mad:

Retsamaes, Steve Essex and gemini4 like this.
  18. tikkathree May 13, 2018

But for us 1953-ers, life is much better. Only some of the above and we're four years older than you hahahahaha. Backache takes a pill, stiffies takes a pill but at least the generous state pension hasn't moved........

nonuffinkbloke, w154 and Steve Essex like this.
  19. Steve Essex May 14, 2018

Lol. I agree with some of that but living in a London Borough, I’ve got my 'Oyster 60+' travel card. Free anytime travel on busses, trains and trams. :)

Oh, and for those youngsters yet to reach 60, when you do, there’ll be a surprise package coming through the post from the NHS that’ll give you something to do for three consecutive days!::confused2:::eek: ::facepalm2::::puke:::D

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  20. Steve Essex May 14, 2018

Yes! That was the one thing that I was concerned about. I could probably live with a refurbed dial but I have a better understanding of what to look for now. Thanks to all for for your valuable advice - I’ll definately have to pay a visit to Burlington arcade and have a look at a few of them in the flesh and see what they look like on my wrist. The was concerned that they may be too small but now warming to the idea of something different. Nice to know that the one I looked at was overpriced! Not hung up on a Seamaster, I’d consider any vintage Omega '57 dress watch. Would prefer a thin, manual wind, no date model if they did one - still learning about the available models. 7AE06561-E75E-4B56-9454-DAFB26E8BEE3.jpeg