Forums Latest Members

Just picked up the JLC on cover of 1950 catalogue

1. DManzaluni May 4, 2016

This watch with curious barrel lugs seems to have been quite rare. It is a bumper auto which clanks a lot as it bumps but I had it serviced and my repairer gave it back to me still clanking. I have a few bumpers (including an Omega my father bought in 1947) and I was under the impression that the hammer normally struck a spring, which would obviate the clanking? To my untrained ear, this sounds like the bell hitting the hammer!

He says it is of unusual construction in which, to take out the movement, the hands and dial have to be removed!

Does anyone know this model?

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 4, 2016

Photo(s) required.

3. DManzaluni May 4, 2016

Sorry, I should mention, I am assuming the watch has a hammer from the sound!

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 4, 2016

Sometimes the springs are hidden, sometimes not, even with different models made by the same manufacturer.

JLC Cal. 481 Powermatic - Springs not hidden:

[​IMG]

JLC Caliber 817 Futurematic - Springs are hidden:

[​IMG]

We'll need pictures to tell you any more.
    gatorcpa

5. DManzaluni May 4, 2016

OK But I don't have a whole lot to say and normally when I post, no one answers so I was keen on finding out if anyone is interested before troubling anyone with this question WITH PICTURES about some watches I happened to pick up.

This is the comparatively well known barrel lug watch with which JLC says it introduced the world to the alarm watch at the Basel fair in 1950. It has 523064 on the back.

20160504_133344-1_resized.jpg

If anyone is bored by this message, here is another one I got in the same trade. to zing the thread up a bit . It has an adorable Minuscule LC marking on the case back!

20160504_133255-1_resized.jpg

6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 4, 2016

I'd say that both JLC dials are suspect, and likely to be redials. Also, just to be clear, while JLC may have introduced their own alarm watch to the world in 1950, other manufacturers had made them long before that date.

lenny likes this.
  7. DManzaluni May 4, 2016

But is it likely to be true that taking the movement out of a barrel lug watch is such a convoluted procedure?

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 4, 2016

OK, now I understand what you are hearing. This watch is a manual wind Memovox model.

The alarm comes from a hammer striking a small hollow metal post that is either part of an inner cover or the case back depending on the model. The power for the hammer comes from a separate mainspring (upper crown) that is wound separately from the movement mainspring.

If the hammer mainspring is totally unwound, the hammer sometimes can be loose inside and if the watch is shaken, could hit the post on its own. That's going to cause the noise you are referring to.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Giff2577 likes this.
  9. DManzaluni May 4, 2016

Thanks for that info! You are absolutely right, I have wound the alarm and the clanking has stopped. Now I
    have to figure out how to stop the alarm from going off if i leave the alarm spring wound!

BTW is taking the movement out as difficult as is suggeted?

10. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! May 4, 2016

Both dials shown so far are, IMO, redials.

The alarm hammer in a Memovox can clank around quite loudly if the alarm spring is run down, and the time is close to where the alarm indicator is set.

11. DManzaluni May 4, 2016

I know people dont like to hear this but a nicely redone dial is preferable to 9for example) this other watch i got in this same deal

20160323_171020_1-1_resized_1.jpg

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 4, 2016

You would need to pull out the crown and leave it that way. This is not recommended as it leaves the watch open for moisture to enter the case.

I would say for now, just set the alarm disk and let the ringing alarm unwind the mainspring. Then leave it unwound until you want to use the alarm feature again.
    gatorcpa

13. Thomas P. The P is for Palladium and Platinum May 4, 2016

Ouch that watch must have sat in salt water.

14. DManzaluni May 5, 2016

FWIW the balance swings!

15. DManzaluni May 5, 2016

(I was a bit reluctant to post that pic for fear of being thrown off the boards)

16. DManzaluni May 5, 2016

It is a Universal Cal 285, isnt it?

17. sah Nov 7, 2018

I would like to see what the tannic acid in black tea would do to the rust.