Forums Latest Members
  1. omegary Mar 31, 2012

Hi there, just thought it would be polite to drop a line or two to introduce myself. My name's Gary, I live in Bristol in the UK and I have a passionate interest in vintage watches, primarily Omegas from the 60's and 70's. I'm known as either omegary or agent orange on the other forums I frequent so you may have seen me around.

I'll post a few pics of some of the watches I've owned when I get time. Unfortunately I had a rather severe cull over the last couple of months so I'm down to just three Omegas at the mo.

Anyhow good to be here and hopefully I'll be able to contribute and help out from time to time.

Cheers,
    Gary

2. ulackfocus Mar 31, 2012

Hi Gary. Welcome! You gotta post pix.

3. Trev The Architect Staff Member Mar 31, 2012

Hey Gary. Welcome to ΩF :)

4. omegary Mar 31, 2012

Thanks guys :)

Here's a few pics of my current Omegas.

[​IMG]
    Omega Constellation f300

[​IMG]
    Omega Seamaster 120

And lastly a bit of a project that went to my watch maker yesterday, an Omega Memomatic. I was lucky enough to get a NOS case for this and it was in desperate need of a service, so fingers crossed it'll come back looking fantastic and working properly. I can't wait to see the end results, oh and I found a 22mm Omega mesh in my parts boxes this morning which will suit it perfectly imho, happy days :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Gary

alam likes this.
  5. Steve Mar 31, 2012

Nice watches. Welcome to the forum.

6. Spy You know my name. Mar 31, 2012

Welcome Gary. I think I remember you with the Agent Orange name from WUS (?) Anyway, good to have you aboard.

7. omegary Mar 31, 2012

That's correct. I haven't been over there for ages now though, too many fanboys and the somewhat heavy handed moderation on the sponsored sub forums got on my nerves in the end.

Cheers,
    Gary

8. ulackfocus Mar 31, 2012

That's the one. Caliber 565, right? Very nice. :thumbsup: The rest of you guys can fight over the PloProfs, I'll take that watch and be happy.

I know that purple goo!

[​IMG]

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 31, 2012

What is that purple snot on Omega parts?

10. ulackfocus Mar 31, 2012

A plastic like wax that's used as a protective coating.

11. omegary Mar 31, 2012

The technical term for "that purple snot" is zappon. As ulackfocus has said it's a wax for protecting cases in storage/transit and whilst handling. A little bit of lighter fluid on a cotton pad gets it off no problem.

Cheers,
    Gary

12. omegary Mar 31, 2012

Thanks ULF :) , mine houses the chronometer rated cal.564, I believe it's a Watchco jobby (service replacement non tritium dial and SL handset) and that's what they happened to have to hand at the time. In general though don't think Omega were very particular during this period of production, so if parts were a bit low or not available it was a case of that's close enough. I've had the same kind of experience with movements, handsets and crowns, etc over the years on completely authentic and period vintage Omegas.

As I mentioned in my intro post I've had a severe cull over the last few months and one of my many sacrifices was a Watchco SM300 but with an original tritium dial and handset.

[​IMG]

It was an extremely close call between the SM300 and SM120 but I love the blue and applied indices and logo of the latter so the SM300 was sold to a good friend.

Cheers,
    Gary

13. ulackfocus Mar 31, 2012

You've got my vote for making the right choice. If another cull is necessary shoot me a message. ;) Love those 120's!