Forums Latest Members
  1. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 23, 2016

In the last two days I was contemplating a watch that was generously offered to me. This watch is widely considered to be a grail. Truth be told I like it but I don't love it but it probably would get some wear. I began to think of it as an investment. Then I thought about all the cash I have in my collection, other priorities right now and all the magic went out of the hobby. I passed with profuse thanks/apologies to the person who thought to offer it.

I also thought about selling off some of my collection to fund it but I bought those because I liked them. Still do.

I'm sure some of you have these moments. Very clear to me that as a professional strategist, I clearly need a better one for my watch strategy. Am I at a tipping point in how I contemplate this watch thing?!

Thanks - love this forum.

2. corn18 Dec 23, 2016

Maybe you could help out a fellow OF member if it is their grail?

Mad Dog likes this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 23, 2016

Yes I bet you would feel really good this Christmas season if you point a fellow WIS to this watch.

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 23, 2016

Yea ... not my call on that. It's up to the seller.

5. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Dec 23, 2016

I'm thinking it's not a ck2998

watchknut likes this.
  6. cvera Dec 23, 2016

Every time I talk watches to anyone outside forums I consider why I spent so much on watches.

But then I consider it's because it's my hobby and I enjoy them. Never spend money expecting to get it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fritz, ahartfie and CdnWatchDoc like this.
  7. ulackfocus Dec 23, 2016

I'm gonna give you advice that I was given several years ago by a very wise friend who lives North of the Border, that is often said jokingly but is actually very serious. STOP TRYING TO INJECT SENSE INTO THIS HOBBY. It's supposed to be fun. Putting a "business plan" in place makes it a job. Don't you already have a job where you make financial strategies? A f::censored::king pain in the a::censored:: back breaking headache giving place you go to f::censored::king work? Why bring ANY of that kind of stress into your hobby? Limits and plans and financial goals are NOT FUN! Unless you've worn it already, how do you know you won't absolutely LOVE that watch in person on your wrist? Fly completely by the seat of your pants and enjoy the ride. If I didn't, I'd never own my Chrono Cockpit... a watch I treasure and not only because it was a gift from my wife. It's TOTALLY out of the norm for my usual tastes. It's a fat, shiny stainless steel chronograph with a MoP dial. Completely opposite of the chic white or yellow gold small ultra-thin dress watches I have so many of.

Besides, if it's a grail you can always sell it a few months later. I bet the watches you'd sell off to pay for the grail can be refound at a later date too. A fresh new group to hunt! What more could you ask for?

Man, I gotta start charging you nimrods for this advice. ;) ::screwloose::

repoman, Paedipod, RegF and 10 others like this.
  8. Vitezi Dec 23, 2016

That's the key point, right there. If it is no longer a hobby, why bother?

RegF, Fritz, Larry S and 1 other person like this.
  9. kkt Dec 23, 2016

It's no crime to change hobbies, and you don't need any reason besides not being that into it any more. Buying based on possible appreciation is making it into a business, and if it's a business you'd need to consider all the financial aspects, risk that the market will drop, risk of something happening to the watch, opportunity cost, costs that you'd otherwise ignore like currency conversion and paypal fees. Some people turn a hobby into a business, but is that really what you want to do if you're not that into it anymore? Limit it to what you enjoy.

10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 23, 2016

buy (and wear) what you like. It's not so tough, is it?

11. M'Bob Dec 23, 2016

Let the whole thing sit for a few days. Avoid tuning in here (if possible). I think the magic will return. If not, give it a few more days...

Larry S likes this.
  12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 23, 2016

This is the advice I give to a (former) moderator who has posted above. It always works.

Then I find him something on which to spend his money:p
    gatorcpa

Fritz, ulackfocus and Larry S like this.
  13. corn18 Dec 23, 2016

What helps me is having my watch spreadsheet. If I sold all my watches, I would only be out a couple grand. Helps me justify having north of $50k spent this year on watches.

Atalien2005 and semper_shells like this.
  14. ATWG Dec 23, 2016

I buy what I like and genuinely enjoy wearing and along the way you meet some interesting people that share a common interest. Yes, at times I wake up and find myself wondering what I'm doing or where the collection is headed, but then reality sets in and the hunt for the next "grail" ensures and all is well again. I never thought of this hobby as an investment tool or work, so everything I do is essentially a labor of love or stress release.

I bet you will feel differently in a few days and make a call to your friend and perhaps even reconsider.

15. WatchVaultNYC Dec 23, 2016

I had this same moment several weeks ago. But came to the same conclusion as the advice given to @ulackfocus . Once I consider the collection of watches as primarily and investment, I'd sell everything and buy Rolex Subs and Speedmasters. Where's the fun in that?

That said, you can't totally separate the aspect of money from watches, unless you never ever sell. It takes money to buy more watches.

16. ONEWATCH Irony embodied Dec 23, 2016

Only if your business plan is other than "It helps fill up the day."

17. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 23, 2016

I went through something similar in my consolidation thread. In the end, I decided not to sell a few watches in order to fund a grail (the $30k+ kind), and decided instead to fund a more moderate grail, the 5513. Yes, I could afford the DRSD by selling others, but jumping into the higher strata meant a whole other type of collecting.

The process enabled me to focus my collection to a group of Rolex and Omega sport models with a Movado SSS and Zenith a3818 as the odd men out. I love the new plan, and find myself being much happier with my collection.

18. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Dec 23, 2016

Can I buy it? Lol jk just do what you like and if there is pressure or possibly feelings of regret then keep on trucking. Lifes too short to stress about a watch (unless you could have bought it for 5 dollars at Salvation Army and then sold it for 30k... just saying)

Larry S, Jwit, kkt and 1 other person like this.
  19. ulackfocus Dec 23, 2016

It was Goodwill, and the hang tag showed $5.99 George. Get your forum history straight! :p :p :p

Jwit and Taddyangle like this.
  20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 23, 2016

Plus sales tax, of course.
    gatorcpa

kkt, Jwit and ulackfocus like this.