Forums Latest Members
  1. Poday Aug 17, 2014

Good evening everyone,

I guess all this flightmaster talk got to me. Far from perfect, but I don't mind a tool watch that's seen some action one bit. Needs a new "main" crown (a generic is currently installed) and crystal, but other than that I'm quite happy. After some poking around, it seems that there are two types of crystals being billed as "original", one flat and one domed. Which is correct for these?

As for the drama, as is typically the case for me, links needed to be removed in order to fit my girlish wrists. I was surprised to find that the removable links used screws, rather than pressure fit pins. Unfortunately, one of the necessary screws was completely stripped. I'm not sure how one strips a screw in a bracelet, but someone clearly found a way. Against my better judgement, I decided that I should drill out the stripped screw. Luckily every thing went swimmingly, and I was able to drill out the screw without putting a mark on the bracelet. Hopefully my girlfriend will stop asking why I bought that drill press now:cautious:

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 5.JPG
    citizenrich, Dogmann, JimInOz and 2 others like this.
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 17, 2014

Well done! A drill press... not exactly a delicate watchmaker's tool. :whistling:

IIRC, another member has had some success refinishing the cases on these if you're so inclined, though it certainly looks good as is.

3. Poday Aug 18, 2014

Thanks, I don't mind the condition of the case one bit, and I love how the subdials have gone brown. Service, crown, and crystal are all I'm doing.

4. pascs Aug 18, 2014

Looks nice and characterful :thumbsup:

For the crystal it should be the flat one, the domed one is for the early 145.013 flightmaster with the slimmer case

5. Poday Aug 19, 2014

Thanks for the info pascs, makes sense. I'll probably stop into Otto Frei tomorrow and see if they have the crystal and crown in stock

6. pascs Aug 19, 2014

Living near to Otto Frei, now that could be dangerous ;)

This is my 911 flightmaster alongside a spare dial I picked up recently, its amazing the different variety of flightmaster dials and the way they fade.

[​IMG]

citizenrich and Poday like this.