Forums Latest Members

Just checked out my 2 Speedies against "Moonwatch Only" but have a question...

1. watchlovr Feb 29, 2016

And it looks like my 2998-61 is all original part from the crystal.
    Crown, pushers, dust cover, case, case back, bezel, dial and hands seem to be all correct for the model.
    [​IMG]

My chocco 145.022-69 seems to be pretty untouched also but I have a question for the Speedie experts as I'm not sure of the answer even after looking through the book.
    Would the crown, pushers and crystal be the same as is already fitted in 1969 if changed now?
    i.e. are the service items the same as was fitted to my 154.022-69?

J-Luc, Davidt, Ludi and 1 other person like this.
  2. watchlovr Mar 1, 2016

Any one know the answer?

3. ricardorio Mar 1, 2016

If you ar talking about the case 145022-69 the answer is yes. You can find the right parts for for you 69er easily.

More expert than me opinions ?

4. TomGW Mar 1, 2016

Hi Colin, I have the original crystal removed from my '68 Transitional and I cannot see any difference when compared to the new, service replacement. I also have a worn / damaged pusher removed from a '69, almost certainly the original, and it is the exact same as a new, unused pusher that I have in the parts box. Actually, for that '69, I simply swapped both outer caps for a new ones, so the new cap fitted onto the original pusher tube.
    As far as the crown is concerned I'm not absolutely sure. Obviously some '69s still had the older style crown, but most had what I always considered to be the current style crown. Currently I only have a '68 Transitional, with the older style crown, together with a modern Speedy, plus a couple of spares. I'm not sure of the age of the spares so they're no help. My gut feeling is that, during the past 47 years, there must have been some progress in manufacturing techniques that may be evident, but possibly not. I have the book but I sure haven't read all of it yet. T.

5. watchlovr Mar 1, 2016

Thanks Tom,
    That's what I thought, there is a note in the book which I think means what you have just said.

The book is a Terrific resource and great reading, we just need to dig through it all.
    I'm actually delighted about my 2998.

Ch

6. x3no Mar 1, 2016

Gorgeous 2998, DIBS if that day ever comes!

7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 1, 2016

the original crown on a 2998 or 145.022-69 (and anything in between) is different from the modern service replacement. the main differences are the shape of the Omega logo and the number of teeth on the crown.

the crystal is somewhat the same. original vintage ones have a different shape Omega logo imprinted on the crystal. the modern ones have the wider, rounder logo much like what appears on the crown.

the pushers, well, hmm. i've heard mention that the modern service pushers are different in some way, but I'm not sure how. There are different pushers obviously for different references which MWO and speedmaster101 spell out.. 2998's have the small pushers, 105.012 have short and wide pushers, etc...

generally, these are considered service items and using modern service parts doesn't devalue the watch too much. I'd say the crown is probably the most important of the three. Many people prefer the original crown and logo style. The pushers are probably next. The pusher size/shape certainly makes a difference too. have you ever seen a 2998 with 145.022 pushers? yuck!

8. TomGW Mar 1, 2016

And I'm gutted about my 2998-62, because, like a total fool I sold it about 2 years ago. It was just like yours in every respect, only with a straight chrono secs.

9. watchlovr Mar 2, 2016

So a different opinion than what myself and Tom thought.
    Can anyone who knows for sure chip in please and confirm one way or another?
    To be clear I am talking about 145.022-69 crown, pushers and crystal only.
    Would the service items be identical?

10. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Mar 2, 2016

Hi,

The original crown Omega logo is different but size and number of teeth are identical. Now there are so many '69 models with the actual logo crown that it's difficult to state if they correspond to replacement or if transition to the actual logo took place at during production of the '69.
    There are still rare '69s with the original logo (straight), but the vast majority had their glass changed.
    Pushers LOOK identical (size), but there might have been some technical improvements since.

oddboy likes this.
  11. watchlovr Mar 2, 2016

Thanks for the confirmation.
    Ive checked against the bible and I don't have any rare earlier "transitional" items on it.
    Just the 69/70 box standard ones, so no need to worry about getting it serviced and changing out rare, normally changed service parts.

Been said before but what a book, never seen anything like it for any brand of watch, unbelievable research, such detail.

12. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Mar 2, 2016

Thanks a lot, our pleasure too.