Forums Latest Members

Just bought my first vintage Omega! [Pictures, advice & service questions]

1. Nacoga Mar 25, 2018

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum, and as of this evening I have become a first-time Omega owner. The package has yet to arrive, but I managed to snag up an Omega Geneve, I believe from the 70s with a TV-dial. I'd love to hear anything you guys could tell me! I think it may be good to send it off for a service right away, so information regarding the movement and all the technical details would be very much appreciated. I'll post more pics of the watch itself, as well as the movement once I receive it!

Here are some pictures: (Apologies for the quality, they are from the auction site)

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 25, 2018

3. Nacoga Mar 26, 2018

Looks about right! Thank you for the tip. I actually didn't know that Omega had that archive section on their site.
    I'll update the thread once I get it and pop it open :)

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 26, 2018

Next time ask these questions before purchasing.

Can become costly asking after ( if anything is amiss ;) )

5. Nacoga Mar 26, 2018

Yes! I know it was a bit risky... I have luckily, thanks to my obsession with vintage watches, seen many re-dials and fake watches before, so I was pretty confident it was legit. Also, why would anyone engrave a fake watch? I know that's not definitive proof, but it helped to inspire confidence.

As to the costliness, the watch was only 66 euros and some change, thanks to a horribly named bid, it being on German eBay, and the pictures also being crap.

Like I said, when it arrives I'll update the thread with pictures a plenty! :D

For now, I found this auction of the same watch in far better condition on Australian eBay, hopefully I can get mine looking that nice with some TLC: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1974s-V...BLACK-DIAL-DATE-DRESS-MENS-WATCH/292499005157Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Dedalus05 likes this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 26, 2018

Looks prettier yes, but yours isn't a redial.

7. Nacoga Mar 26, 2018

YES! I read that too ;)
    Redial, polished.... the price seems a little steep!

I'm sure I'll learn to love the dings and scratches on mine. Plus, I have just enough Polywatch to sort the crystal out, so it should be looking nice very soon.

8. Woodward Mar 26, 2018

9. Nacoga Mar 26, 2018

Very nice! i love the fade from green to black/dark green, it reminds me of a dial on a Timex I have, I believe from 1973. I'm actually quite glad I got a black one, I have very few black-dialed watches so it will take a good spot in my collection :)

Is yours on the original bracelet? I've seen a few variations on the bracelets that seem to go on this watch. I think I'll take it off the fixo-flex it comes on and put it on a nice leather strap :D i meant to ask, is the lug width 20mm or 22mm? I've got some inconclusive results from different eBay auctions.

Also, its interesting that yours also has that gold-toned ring around the dial... is that the crystal? Or is it a gasket between the case and crystal? I just thought the one I got has a crystal which had become yellowed.

Edited Mar 26, 2018
  10. Woodward Mar 26, 2018

Yes, as far as I know it's the correct Omega bracelet for this watch. The number is 1223/214 and the lug width is 20 mm.

This watch was a wonderful gift from my parents in 1978, and back then it was on a smooth black leather strap. The bracelet was a birthday gift a year or two later, bought from the same Omega dealer.
    I wore it for a few years, and then all the gizmo-rich digital watches appeared with light, alarm, calculator and all the other things a young man couldn't live without. So the Geneve ended up in a box for many years, with a maximum of five years use in all. Six months ago I decided to use it again, and had it serviced for the first time ever. It now runs like a dream, and the 28.800 bph cal. 1012 is very precise.

The crystal on mine is the original - it has never been changed. The tension ring is chrome. The golden ring you see is not a ring - it´s the edge of the crystal, that for some reason appear yellow.

Enjoy your watch. As much as I enjoy my 30 mm Omegas from the 50´s and automatics from the 60´s, this rather heavy lump of 1970´s stainless steel is a nice alternative. My youngest son has his eye on it; he claims it would be the start of a great family tradition if I gave it to him - right now :)

Best regards

MajorCindy, Stuntman81 and Nacoga like this.
  11. Nacoga Mar 26, 2018

That's a great story! I really wish we were lucky enough nowadays to be able to get things like that as gifts that years from now will be worth something and still function as intended. It feels like everything of value today is to be replaced by the latest model, or thrown away after it breaks.
    I am only 25 years old, but I am fascinated by old watches, the intricacy of the movements, the beauty of them, the amazing designs. My first watch, some time in the mid/late 90s was a Casio F-91w which I still have. Until now I had only owned crappy fashion watches, but I'm so glad I've been turned onto this hobby, there's something so rewarding about it.

Now I know years from now, I'll hopefully still have my first Omega, just like you, and maybe even some day be able to pass it on. Hopefully though, it won't be my last! :D

Tmorehouse51, Woodward and OWa like this.
  12. Tmorehouse51 Mar 27, 2018

Hello sir!

Let me know if youre serching for someone to help you with a service, I run a watch shop under the name TM Watch in North Dakota. We specialize in the servicing and refinishing of vintage Omega watches with very sharp attention to detail. We have restored a lot of watches for forum members. Check out the website when you get a chance its www.tmwatchco.com. Give me a call if you want to chat. 701-840-3287 Tanner.

Edited Mar 28, 2018
  13. Nacoga Mar 28, 2018

Hello! Thank you so much for the message. I have looked at your website and I'm so impressed by your work. It reminds me of that Hodinkee article about the Doxa diver being restored. It is incredible how the restoration done by professionals like you can make an old beaten up watch look brand new.

Unfortunately, being a university student without income, I don't think I'm in the best position to afford such a service at the moment. On top of that, I am currently based in Germany so North Dakota seems a little far to send the watch. I will definitely bookmark your website, as the work you have done is truly incredible, and if I was ever to need such work done I would only want the best to do it. For now, I think I'll send it to my usual watchmaker for a quick clean and service, but again, thank you for reaching out!

Tmorehouse51 likes this.
  14. Tmorehouse51 Mar 28, 2018

No problem at all! Thank you for the kind words. Welcome to the forums!

Nacoga likes this.
  15. Nacoga Mar 28, 2018

Thank you! :D

16. Nacoga Mar 28, 2018

Update:

The watch arrived today! I actually missed the delivery and had to chase the post-woman down the street, but it was worth it!
    Without any kind of additional protection, the watch was loosely held in a 17x12cm bubble envelope... not a very encouraging sign, but luckily everything was in order.

This is the watch as I received it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty grimy and scratches, the fixo-flex bracelet broken at one end...

Here it is AFTER a bit of TLC, a change of strap, polywatch, a clean with cotton buds and match stick (to scrape out all the grime from the lugs):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apologies again, as the photos are just from my phone... they make the dial look less black than it looks in person.

Here is a bonus shot of the, for some reason sideways, crystal with the Omega logo!

[​IMG]

Again, just a phone picture, so nothing too great.

Now, the good and bad news:

Good news, the movement runs, and at least aesthetically the watch is in decent condition (especially the dial). I was also able to fix the fixo-flex bracelet, which is too big for me, so I'll even have to take a couple more links off if I ever want to wear it. Those things are expensive, and they definitely give any watch the retro 70s look.

Bad news, for some reason the crystal was installed sideways, so it doesn't speak much for whoever last handled this watch... hopefully the movement is in decent shape. The bad BAD news: the crown is NOT original, and the stem seems to be broken, as the crown and stem pull out of the watch. When the crown is in, the watch can be wound, but the time cannot be set... so there is that... I guess I'll just have to send it off for a service right away, and hope to not lose too much money to that.

Overall, I'm very happy. I knew about the crown before buying the watch, but if you ask me, having only paid 62 euros plus shipping for the watch, its worth investing a little more to make it 100% again. For now it will just be a service, but I can't wait until I can wear it, after all I am not the proud owner of an Omega watch! :)

I look forward to any questions or comments you all might have!

Edited Mar 28, 2018
    Stuntman81 and Toishome like this.
  17. jimmyd13 Mar 28, 2018

It's not likely that the stem is broken if you can set the time but that the retaining screw is in the wrong orientation (or worn). It's a clear pointer that you need to have it serviced. Good news, a service on this (1012?) Is going to set you back 150 euros.

18. Nacoga Mar 28, 2018

That's not too bad! I did say though that the time cannot be set, as whenever you try to pull the crown out, both crown and stem come out. Looking at it with my crappy magnifier now, the stem does seem to be OK... could it be that the stem came out at some point and would need to be re-inserted by pressing the button on the movement? Pushing with a cautious amount of pressure, the crown doesn't go in more than as pictured below. Either way, I'll take it for a service as soon as possible.

Any thoughts?

Here are some pictures of the crown and stem and the gap between the crown and case (again, apologies for the phone pics):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Mar 29, 2018
  19. Nacoga Mar 30, 2018

*Bump*

Just wondering whether someone might know if the problem with the crown/stem might be a question of pressing the stem retention button and pushing it into place... or whether the stem looks ok, or damaged... I want to know the most I can before taking it in for service.

Thanks in advance! :)

Edited Apr 1, 2018
  20. Nacoga Apr 1, 2018

A nice gift before Easter: the Omega catalogue!

[​IMG]

Having to wait over the weekend, plus Monday, to get myself a strap and take the watch in for a service is killing me :p

SteveZ28 likes this.