Just bought my first Omega Speedmaster Used and would like input!

Hi all - this is my first post here. I just picked up a Speedmaster on eBay from a seller in Japan, and I was hoping to learn if you all have input on if it was a decent deal, etc. I know this is a now-extinct model (the 3513.50), and I think I got a decent deal on it? Other than some nicks to the case it looks to be in good condition. I was aiming to land one of these for $1000 (I went over a bit) and my only real criteria were that I like the looks and it be mechanical movement. What do you guys think? Here is the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272292574975?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I have never owned anything other than Fossil, but love mechanical things and it was only a matter of time before I got into watches. My most recent viewing of Spectre is what pushed me over the edge. Unfortunately, that watch is far beyond my reach.

Feel free to be brutally honest - this seller allows returns so if I could have found a better deal on a Speedmaster or Seamaster please educate me!

Cheers!

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
The one you linked to is an automatic, not manual wind. It is a nice watch, nothing wrong with it. i think you paid about the average price for them.
I have never owned this type but i have seen them around.

The one you linked to is an automatic, not manual wind. It is a nice watch, nothing wrong with it. i think you paid about the average price for them.
I have never owned this type but i have seen them around.

Oh sorry - I don't know all the terminology yet. Being automatic movement, that means it self-winds, correct? It's not a quartz movement.

Yes, the Automatic/Reduced are smaller than, and lack some of the appeal of, the Moonwatch. I had one for twenty years and found it reliable. I replaced it with a Moonwatch (3570.50) last year. As you get more into the Speedmaster 'story' you'll no doubt find yourself wanting a Professional too, but meanwhile I'm sure you'll enjoy your Automatic.

Yes, the Automatic/Reduced are smaller than, and lack some of the appeal of, the Moonwatch. I had one for twenty years and found it reliable. I replaced it with a Moonwatch (3570.50) last year. As you get more into the Speedmaster 'story' you'll no doubt find yourself wanting a Professional too, but meanwhile I'm sure you'll enjoy your Automatic.

Thanks for the input. I actually really want a Seamaster when I can afford it. Is there one aesthetically similar to the Spectre limited edition? I don't actually care about the pedigree of the limited edition, I just really like the details on it.

But don't let me get ahead of myself. For now I will enjoy my first nice watch.

i have a speedy day date, that is 40mm and automatic... does everything well... you should be happy

Oh sorry - I don't know all the terminology yet. Being automatic movement, that means it self-winds, correct? It's not a quartz movement.

Quartz movement means an electrical battery is used to power the movement.

Mechanical movement means the watch runs without batteries. Mechanical watches can be either manual or automatic. A manual watch must be manually wound regularly to build up energy to power the watch. An automatic can be manually wound as well but be they also have a mechanism that uses movement of the watch (via natural wrist movement while wearing) to build power reserve.

Mechanical watches store different amounts of power and how long they can go on a full "wind" is stated as the "power reserve" level. Many quality mechanical watches have around 40 to 48hrs of typical power reserve while some brands and models boast higher amounts closer to 7 or 8 days.

The automatic piece you bought is a mechanical watch (not Quartz) with the ability to store energy as you wear it and move around.

Congrats on your purchase and wear it in good health!

Thanks guys - this sounds like a great introduction to the world of Omega. When I can spend $3K I'll get a newer one that has all the specs.

Quartz movement means an electrical battery is used to power the movement.

Mechanical movement means the watch runs without batteries.

Small correction - the method of powering the watch has nothing to do with it being a quartz. There are battery powered watches that do not use quartz (most commonly known would be the tuning fork watches, but others use batteries sometimes to power a balance wheel), and there are mechanically powered quartz watches, like the Kinetic watches, or the Seiko Spring Drive.

What makes a watch quartz is the use of a quartz crystal that is the oscillator that provides the timekeeping function.

Cheers, Al

Small correction - the method of powering the watch has nothing to do with it being a quartz. There are battery powered watches that do not use quartz (most commonly known would be the tuning fork watches, but others use batteries sometimes to power a balance wheel), and there are mechanically powered quartz watches, like the Kinetic watches, or the Seiko Spring Drive.

What makes a watch quartz is the use of a quartz crystal that is the oscillator that provides the timekeeping function.

Cheers, Al
Thanks Al, I did my best. 😉

Glad for you. As we are fanatics, most of them won't call it "the real" speedmaster. The important thing is that you enjoy it!
Archer is being nasty but right.
battery or spring is simply the "engine" of the watch ; the source of power. A battery can power a balance wheel, a quartz, a tuning fork. A spring can be wound by hand, a oscillating weight. A battery can be loaded by the sun or by a dynamo in some seiko movement.

cheers

Ok - so is this Bastard Speedmaster not actually a mechanical watch? 👎

yours? yes it's a mechanical watch, precisly an automatic one. Which means that there's a oscillating weight to wind us the spring when you wear it.

yours? yes it's a mechanical watch, precisly an automatic one. Which means that there's a oscillating weight to wind us the spring when you wear it.
Great this is what I thought. All clear!

*wind up. Absolutly nothing wrong with your watch.

Many people confuse the Speedy Automatic with the Speedy Reduced. The Automatic is a fine watch and I bet you will enjoy yours for many years. Congratulations, and wear it in good health

Archer is being nasty but right.

Please explain how I was being nasty?

Great this is what I thought. All clear!

Your watch is fine - the Cal. 1152 inside is a great movement (based on the ETA 7750) and can be very accurate. It's a workhorse.

BTW I've verified that the serial number of the watch matches the model number for you, so it's all good.

Cheers, Al

Nasty was not the word sorry, I can't find the word in english I wanted to use. No offense.

Please explain how I was being nasty?

Your watch is fine - the Cal. 1152 inside is a great movement (based on the ETA 7750) and can be very accurate. It's a workhorse.

BTW I've verified that the serial number of the watch matches the model number for you, so it's all good.

Cheers, Al
Thanks man! I had looked up the SN as well, but since I'm new to this it's great to have some additional verification from an expert. Cheers!

Cheers, Al
This is what I'm enjoying about this forum! I could have visited 50 jewelry stores in New Orleans and not have spoke with someone who could have provided that detailed of an answer. Thanks for that detail @Archer. I know it might be a small difference but for those wanting to learn it is these
type of posts that make a difference and in my opinion make this forum unique.