Just bought my first Omega Speedmaster Used and would like input!

Thanks for the input. I actually really want a Seamaster when I can afford it. Is there one aesthetically similar to the Spectre limited edition? I don't actually care about the pedigree of the limited edition, I just really like the details on it.

But don't let me get ahead of myself. For now I will enjoy my first nice watch.

You can actually buy the Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial that the Spectre limited edition was based on.
A little more affordable and not limited. Here's mine on the limited edition 007 Bond Nato.

You can actually buy the Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial that the Spectre limited edition was based on.
A little more affordable and not limited. Here's mine on the limited edition 007 Bond Nato.
Can you tell me which specific model this is?

Another newb question: since it appears the watch I purchased is from aroun 1998 (as far as I can tell from the serial number) does that mean I should need it serviced? I doubt the eBay seller knows its service history. Or, if it keeps time well I just wear it?

Another newb question: since it appears the watch I purchased is from aroun 1998 (as far as I can tell from the serial number) does that mean I should need it serviced? I doubt the eBay seller knows its service history. Or, if it keeps time well I just wear it?

Unless you are given documentation of a recent service then yes, it needs a service.

Unless you are given documentation of a recent service then yes, it needs a service.
Would you go through Omega?

Would you go through Omega?

Personally, no, I would try to find an independent watchmaker who has an Omega parts account near you to service it. But failing that, I would probably send it to Omega.

With regard to servicing, if we know where you are based, it will help. Omega will certainly service your watch and charge you commensurately. There are also some independents who may be able to accommodate you. There is a bewildering variety of Omegas that carry and have carried the Speedmaster name. Be careful you don't get bitten by the Speedie bug - down that path lies madness and penury!!!!!

😁

With regard to servicing, if we know where you are based, it will help. Omega will certainly service your watch and charge you commensurately. There are also some independents who may be able to accommodate you. There is a bewildering variety of Omegas that carry and have carried the Speedmaster name. Be careful you don't get bitten by the Speedie bug - down that path lies madness and penury!!!!!

😁
I'm in Boston. Omega lists service centers near here. I'm assuming a full service will be several hundred bucks? That's too bad because I'm all out of money right now after buying the watch!

I'm in Boston. Omega lists service centers near here. I'm assuming a full service will be several hundred bucks? That's too bad because I'm all out of money right now after buying the watch!

Can't hurt to give them a call and establish what it's likely to cost. Others may chip in with alternatives. As I'm on the other side of the Atlantic, I can't help you.

Btw, Boston is a really nice city (or at least the bits I saw were). Did the tourist things, including a trip on the Patriots Express to see Drew Bledsoe put the hurt on the Colts a few years back 👍

Can't hurt to give them a call and establish what it's likely to cost. Others may chip in with alternatives. As I'm on the other side of the Atlantic, I can't help you.

Btw, Boston is a really nice city (or at least the bits I saw were). Did the tourist things, including a trip on the Patriots Express to see Drew Bledsoe put the hurt on the Colts a few years back 👍
Meh. I'm a New Yorker by origin. Boston is ok. I've enjoyed watching Eli take Brady down to size a few times though 😉

So is it ok to just wear the watch for a while if I can't afford a $500 service right now? (That's the list price on the omega site) How often should we be doing this? This will be my only watch that I intend to wear every day.

So is it ok to just wear the watch for a while if I can't afford a $500 service right now? (That's the list price on the omega site) How often should we be doing this? This will be my only watch that I intend to wear every day.

I'll defer to more experienced members on this. It's a good looking watch and I hope you enjoy wearing it.

Periodic service is logically for cars,safety first.Watch if it works +-15 sec per day is ok,relax enjoyed have fun.

Periodic service is logically for cars,safety first.Watch if it works +-15 sec per day is ok
What's the difference? Service on a car is to prevent wear and tear that would otherwise occur; it's not only done after problems start occurring.

What's the difference? Service on a car is to prevent wear and tear that would otherwise occur; it's not only done after problems start occurring.
Wow. The Omega boutique in the Boston area said service starts at $710. I had no idea it would be that much. I might need to rethink this whole plan

I suspect when you find an independent watchmaker, it will be much less. I would recommend a service. Its money well spent

I suspect when you find an independent watchmaker, it will be much less. I would recommend a service. Its money well spent
Does anyone know of someone in the Southeast?
Edited:

I just discovered the extremely helpful sticky in this forum and I see there is a recommended watchmaker who offers repairs for Omega, Rolex, etc out of NH just 50 miles from Beantown. The best part is their price is $495! Much better than the Omega store.

Just to reinforce the advice about servicing. It really is important to ensure that the watch will retain all its functionality and value. There's no avoiding it because all lubricants do deteriorate over time. As with cars, you sometimes find that servicing costs represent a significant percentage of the purchase price and it does need to be budgeted for.