Just bought a pocket watch, what did I just buy?

Hi everyone

I know nothing about pocket watches, but have always wanted one (even though I have absolutely no need for one), so when I stumbled upon this one for sale in a local listing at a fair price (I think) I jumped on it and picked it up today. It has been running accurately to the minute (haven't checked more precisely) for almost 7 hours now.

I would love any and all information on this watch, including on how to best polish/clean it, and how much it could be worth. I paid about 150 USD for it, which I felt was fair, but I don't really know.
The seller thought that the dial is original, but I can't really believe that, seeing that this watch is around 100 years old, and the dial is very very clean indeed, but again, I'm no expert at all.
Other questions I have are, what is the point of the double caseback opening? And what do those gold medallions on the inner caseback mean?

Any help is greatly appreciated! 😀

Possibly an Omega 19L. The case is silver (coin silver, .800 fine silver ), with “barley corn” finish. The case is in a finish called “gallone”which is gold plated over silver. The fashion was popular on Swiss watches around the turn of the 20th century. The S# list I checked estimates that it was made circa 1916. The dial is vitreous enamel, and appears to be in good shape. The hand style is often referred to as Brequet, and might be original to the watch. The movement appears to have 15-jewels. Looks in nice shape.

Nice piece

But from my pov the omega letters on the dial don't fit the time (these seem to be after late 50s early 60s). So possible redial or at least newly made for the omega letters ?!

Non, it's likely original. It can be chipped when dropped, other than that enamel dials don't age much.

Nice piece

But from my pov the omega letters on the dial don't fit the time (these seem to be after late 50s early 60s). So possible redial or at least newly made for the omega letters ?!

Based on the over all good condition of the watch, it is my opinion that the dial is original to the watch. The dial is vitreous enamel (glass, fired in a kiln), as are the black numerals and minutes chapter ring. This eliminates any notion the dial has been fiddled with.

The engraved medals may refer to chronometry awards. At least for the brand I follow (which is not Omega), watches from 1910 to the 1920s have depictions of all of the medals with the mention « grand prix » explicitly written.
However looking at them I’m also led to wonder whats’ written on the side of each of those medals, the definition is not precise enough to read- it also looks like depictions of various activities such as industry or agriculture so maybe there’s’another possible meaning?

Having a double caseback means added protection against dust and humidity. Again relatively frequent in those days, at least for good quality watches.

Nice collectable Omega pocket watch in good condition. Very fairly priced. Enjoy it!

Good u picked it up a little shop I stop by would have scrapped that case for silver in thirty seconds. It’s amazing how quickly history can disappear if a precious metal is involved with some people

Looks all good to me, nice watch, WWI era. As noted above, these dials stay pretty clean, although they can chip and crack. Yours is in good condition. The medals represent awards that Omega had won, marketing basically.

Thanks for all your replies! I really appreciate you all sharing your knowledge 😀

It seems that you bought a nice watch. Although I have many vintage Omega watches I do not have a pocket watch so I am also thinking to buy one 😀

This is a Brandt CCR, a high grade version of the subject watch. 19-jewels, lever set, adjusted to 5 positions and temperature. Railroad approved, in Canada. Louis Brandt was the founder of the company that became Omega.

This is a Brandt CCR, a high grade version of the subject watch. 19-jewels, lever set, adjusted to 5 positions and temperature. Railroad approved, in Canada. Louis Brandt was the founder of the company that became Omega.

That’s a beauty!