Forums Latest Members
  1. Gaz6263 May 3, 2015

2. SwissZ May 3, 2015

Bargain of the year.

Dial has some stains or dust but could clean up nicely. You might need a new crystal but that one is ok.

Check the time keeping that's the most important part.

Those are not the chronometer papers it came.

Overall it's a great looking packaging and for the price you've scored big :thumbsup:

3. rogart ray it again, Ram. May 3, 2015

Congratulations nice catch :). Looks to be in good condition . Actually thought this where larger then 32mm x 42mm . Are they the same size as the Mariner II . I hope you noticed that the number is missing under the crystal.

4. Tom Dick and Harry May 3, 2015

An absolute bargain and well sober, especially for a 1511

As others have mentioned check the time keeping over 24 hours, if it deviates even by a second then it will need a service

Time keeping which is out more than a few seconds indicates a new circuit will be needed, let me know if this is the case, I can help out

A few common problems which are all solvable:

1) Quartz circuits go, they are available but budget £450

2) 'tinerkers' mess the motor unit up, again available and budget £450

3) magnetic minute wheels intermittently fail, this will identify by dropping a clear hour or two occasionally over night

Looking at yours it looks like a nice example, not sure ft the box is original but it might be as originally sold if it was an old stock item

The plaque is missing it's engraving, there is a place I know who can replace the plaque with the correct engraving.

Overall an absolute bargain, well done

Tom

5. rogart ray it again, Ram. May 3, 2015

That is good .I actually thought the plaque was almost impossible to find . I talked about this watch with a fellow forummember and he pointed that out with the plaque . Wonder if he bid on it ?

6. Gaz6263 May 3, 2015

Thanks for the Input :thumbsup:. Will have to do a proper review when I receive it .

7. webvan May 3, 2015

Well done! I was having second thoughts about it but already have too many vintage quartz watches, including some 151x's that owe me a lot ;-)

Still it's nice to know we'll get the low down on it. The box and papers are not original to these types of watches but he had a specific purchase date from 1977 so that must come from somewhere, maybe the NOS models that were sold at the barber's shop round the corner in Bienne as Lucien Trueb shared in his book! Not sure why the plaque isn't engraved, well at least you won't have to worry that it matches the movement number. He's a reputable seller so either way you'll be fine, keep us posted!

8. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 4, 2015

Tom, does Besancon still provide the documents for the time-keeping-testing?
    Have not heard of it since long.....

9. webvan May 4, 2015

Haven't heard that they've stopped. Very nice people over there, I paid them a visit two years ago and it was fascinating to see the exact desk and "ovens" where the 1511/1516 were tested as well as the old books. They were supposed to move into a new building (the renovated Observatory) last year.

10. Gaz6263 May 11, 2015

image.jpg Arrived today. Condition looks great. Two initial areas of concern are the blank plaque and the slightly of centre date. Apart from that, what a lump! I'll check the time keeping and see if it needs to go to STS but initial impression is good. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I've definitely got that 70's feeling at the moment.

11. Gaz6263 May 11, 2015

image.jpg
    The papers with it are the guarantee which is correctly stamped.

Northernman likes this.
  12. webvan May 11, 2015

Thanks for following up and for the pictures. Looks good, a picture of the movement would be great too ;-) So it does have its original papers but no plaque so it's not like it was rebuilt recently. I'm pointing that out because there was a guy selling NOS cases a few years ago with blank plaqes. It might be one of these last MCs sold off at the very end when Omega were giving them away (see Trueb's story) and didn't have them tested in Besançon.

13. Tom Dick and Harry May 13, 2015

Frankly an utter bargain, case looks super crisp! I believe the NOS cases being sold a while back were 1516? this appears to be 1511

As mentioned I have an engraver who can do the work, let me know if you need help with that?

Besancon do still do certs, just need the movement number, before you waste your time with besancon let me have the movement number and I can check it for you.

The date centring is a common theme, I have owned dozens and never really get one with a centring date, partly because of the wear patterns on the date wheel mechanism (so I am told), sometimes cause by the tensioning spring but I have four NOS MQ2.4's, and I do mean NOS, and not a one of them has a centralised date!

14. Gaz6263 May 14, 2015

Many thanks for the offer of help. Unfortunately I've already posted it to STS to get the engraving done (when I spoke with Simon and mentioned yourself I got the impression that it was them you'd used), and to give the watch a once over. Oh well you live and learn. Before I get anything else done I'll contact you first, I'm sure it will be a lot cheaper. When I get it back I'll contact you with the movement number.
    Cheers Gaz

15. Gaz6263 May 14, 2015

Update. Just got a call from STS, movement has been exchanged for a crappy ETA one. Disaster!!
    Have immediately initiated a return. On closer inspection of the original listing I've just noticed he has described the movement as a high quality Swiss. Note no mention of Omega, very cute. image.jpg

16. Gaz6263 May 14, 2015

Even The service manager said this was a new one for him and he's seen a few.
    Be careful out there, just when you think you've seen everything.

17. Fost May 14, 2015

Omg ... I can t believe it ..

18. rogart ray it again, Ram. May 14, 2015

Wtf ::rant:. That is why you only should buy a watch where you could see the movement . Hope everything turns out ok

19. webvan May 14, 2015

Sorry to read that, I seem to remember a "no questions asked" 14 day return policy so you should be covered.

On the "plus" side it shows there will be a way to keep our beasts functional once all the original movements have failed and parts run out...not sure when that will happen though!

20. Geo! May 14, 2015

What a nightmare, I feel for you. Fingers crossed you get satisfactory resolution.