Florent likes this.
  2. watchcollect Mar 19, 2018

Holly crap!!! Thats stunning, congrats!

Florent likes this.
  3. Toishome Mar 19, 2018

Need to take a cold shower after looking at those pictures ::love::

Florent likes this.
  4. chronoboy64 Mar 19, 2018

holy moly, what a find, huge congrats an wear in good health !

Florent likes this.
  5. Oku Mar 19, 2018

This would be the very first time that I see the indexes overlap the printing on an original UG dial.
    Also the 30 overlapping the hour counter at 6 is interesting and the not perfectly centered left and right sub dials. But the latter might be:
    @Florent, would you post a clear on top view so that the camera angle would not fool the eyes?

Florent and Larry S like this.
  6. Florent Mar 19, 2018

Indeed, indexes slightly overlap the printing (first time I see such a thing on an UG dial also)

Anyway, if you look closely to the one a 5, you will notice that this index overlap because it can’t be more centered, since it’s almost overlaping the hour counter itself.

The dialmaker probably preferred to overlap the printing than the hour counter !

About 30 overlap hour counter at 6, thit is a variant, relatively common on those ;)

92941EF7-281E-49AE-A1EE-0EDC8F9C12C0.jpeg

Edited Mar 19, 2018
    khmt2, Dre and LouS like this.
  7. Oku Mar 19, 2018

Thanks!

Verdi likes this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 19, 2018

Looks crisp and consistent so I guess there is some intentionality about the indice positions. Great watch.

Florent likes this.
  9. Oku Mar 19, 2018

Nope. I disagree. I would expect the indices to be centered with the seconds but they are not.

Sorry to be a little bit sceptical. Sala's book has its problems and mistakes, but the 12552 in it looks different:
    12552.jpg
    Note how much wider the seconds and tachy scale are so that there is more space.
    Additionally, I would expect the index at seven also touching the 12 hour counter on your watch but it doesn't.

jsflog likes this.
  10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 19, 2018

Yea but there is no question that this is a UG Dial and period correct. Moon is either service or period correct as this is when the face went away. So here we go again !!!!!!!

11. Florent Mar 19, 2018

Are you trying to prove this dial to be redial? :thumbsdown:
    Bleeding 30 on hour counter and not centered subdials are known to be accepted variants.
    All fonts are perfect, no signs of potential redial ... This is a perfect original dial. This statement should not be discussed ... :cautious:

About indices bleeding on printing, what do you suggest?
    Custom made indices, then stickied to a new old stock original dial? If true we would see some marks on the dial.
    And who would do that? For what?

Probably not the original owner, or even his son who sold this watch to a local antique shop :unsure:

I agree with you this dial is not documented, but we all know here UG dials have so many variations. Nothing proves this dial to be wrong, and the context (original box, crisp case, original buckle, second-hand watch ...) make it pretty consistent.

Edited Mar 19, 2018
  12. jsflog Mar 19, 2018

Hi All,

I have same reference, still at the SPA to correct a problem with a welded golden hand (hour hand), my dial is different.

Initially I was amazed by the quality and freshness of this dial, but I agree that the overlapping of the hours markers is not common I presume.

Also in mine the 30 does not overlap the hours subdial, but on the inverse, it seems it was cutted by it.

When did UG stop printing the face in the moonphase disc?

Thanks and some pics of my dial
    Ponteiro Horas.jpg 02518f.jpg Horas subdial.jpg

13. Oku Mar 19, 2018

What did we learn today/yesterday? This is also a UG dial::D
    [​IMG]

I am trying nothing just discussing the dial.
    To be honest, I am just very very surprised. The printing is very fine and good. No doubt. But there are some issues.
    Many watches have been discussed here and if any of these watches had one of the characteristics mentioned we would have seen a special emoji that I really don't like and the watch would have been questioned. Now it is the opposite. Therefore, I think it is allowed to talk about the dial.

I perfectly disagree. If so, the forum would be useless.
    However, please don't feel offended. That is not my intention.

Exactly, for what? Why are the indices applied like this?

Edited Mar 19, 2018
    MaiLollo and Reddy_Kilowatt like this.
  14. Oku Mar 19, 2018

End of 40ies, beginning of 50ies. So moon disc can be correct or replacement.

Larry S and jsflog like this.
  15. Florent Mar 19, 2018

I meant the originality of the printing of the dial should not be discussed. Sorry.

For indexes, possibilities could be:

- First time we see overlapping indexes (original undocumented dial)
    - Custom made dial for a client who wanted "fat" indexes (matching the hands)
    - Indexes were finally too long / too big and couldn't be fitted on the dial without overlapping hour printing (which is the case here)

OR

- Indexes do not belong to this dial and are not original, and someone stickied them after the dial making
    But if those indexes are not original, we would see printed hours Arabic number or glue marks from the previous indexes below them. Which is not the case, meaning that using indexes was planned before printing, and not other types of indexes were stickied before those.
    Would UG produce a dial without any hours indication? Probably not.

Edited Mar 19, 2018
    rolokr, billving, Kmart and 2 others like this.
  16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 19, 2018

@Oku .... Surely you are not conflating this correct dial with that South American redial? !!!!!!!!! :eek:

We also know there was a ton of customization done... especially in France where they even made cases as Florent suggests.. generally indices are wired on. PS Florent let’s see the case back :D . Wow we have two French watches in a span of days that kicked off a debate!

billving likes this.
  17. chronoboy64 Mar 19, 2018

@Oku your watch looks a bit tired against @Florent ones IMO
    I recommend you to be a bit more gentle :whipped:

18. rolokr Mar 19, 2018

Maybe the best dial I have EVER seen on a solid gold Tri-compax with applied indices !

Florent likes this.
  19. Oku Mar 19, 2018

::facepalm2:: Do I really have to explain?

John 18,23

chronoboy64 likes this.
  20. Jonatan Mar 19, 2018

Magnifique et très élégante félicitations!

Florent likes this.