Forums Latest Members

Just arrived...........Finally back from service

1. Spike Jul 27, 2015

Just arrived from France.

My first 'full set'.........apart from scratch on crystal is a beauty........not a mark on the dial and a razor sharp case.

Longines tell me the serial number dates it at 1959 where it was sent to Italy, according to the book it was sold in 1966.............on the shelf for a few years in the shop?

Hope you like it!

BOX.jpg INNER.jpg FACE.jpg BUCKLE.jpg REVERSE2.jpg REVERSE.jpg CROWN.jpg
    MOVEMENT.jpg

Edited Jul 27, 2015
    aap, PHPHD, Hijak and 31 others like this.
  2. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jul 27, 2015

If ever there was an indicator that patience pays off this is it, nice one @Spike

Spike likes this.
  3. khmt2 Jul 27, 2015

Congrats! :thumbsup: You're well on yr way to building a nice Longines collection! Now all u need is a gd 19as and ultrachron to round it off! :p

Spike likes this.
  4. ulackfocus Jul 27, 2015

::love:: dat watch! :thumbsup:

Spike likes this.
  5. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 27, 2015

Don't know much about Longines but that is one very nice watch and setup. Congrats!!

Spike likes this.
  6. Fer Seamaster Jul 27, 2015

What an assortment: not only the watch in a nice condition, but also box, tangs, paperwork... Nice!

citizenrich and Spike like this.
  7. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 27, 2015

Wow! So nice of you to post the great detailed photos of the watch and everything associated with it. Really nice reference for those who would study such things.

And no one dibbed it? I'll say dibs! First opportunity and what a Longines set to dibs!

8. Spike Jul 28, 2015

Thanks very much for that nice comment, I still consider myself a bit of a newbie at collecting so it's extra special when it looks like it went well and others approve!

I have had a PM 'dibs' very early on with this but should I ever decide to 'reconfigure my small collection', and that not follow through, I'll let you know!

citizenrich and noelekal like this.
  9. Spike Jul 28, 2015

Just spent a very interesting but confusing 1.5hrs with my watchmaker looking at this watch..........

He's an elderly ex Bond Street (London) watchmaker who has worked on the finest watches in the world in his time and I trust his judgement completely.

He was absolutely speechless when he took the back off this. We both looked over the movement together and he said that it looks absolutely brand new as though it's just fresh from the factory. There wasn't a mark on any of the screws but he said it looks and runs perfectly when it went on his timing machine running strongly and accurately in all 5 positions. He said obviously in theory the lubrication would have dried up over it's 56 years but that normally would be reflected in how it runs, this ran perfectly. He said if I wasn't going to wear it much he would advise leaving exactly as it is, exactly as it came from the factory.

The crystal has a scratch on it so it has been worn but he thinks very rarely and probably only on special occasions, the strap shows little use as has the crown so he said it looks like it's hardly been wound.

Ok, I said, let's just change the crystal and leave it at that but no, that isn't as easy as it sounds. He pointed out the radium dots that have been applied around the inside rim of the case all in perfect condition. If he takes the crystal out there is a possibility that some of these may get disturbed and then the dial will be less perfect than it is now, he advised leaving that alone and keeping the watch as original as the day it left the factory in 1959.

So there we have it, a watch in theory that should be serviced to be able to wear it but he thought it should be left alone with a crystal with a scratch on it that he said shouldn't be replaced.

"Take it home, leave it in it's box and bring it out every now and again and admire it"................and I used to laugh at you guys that have watches they don't ever wear, this is a funny old game....

DaveK, aap and noelekal like this.
  10. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jul 28, 2015

The first I am sure of many comments, personally I would service it, wear it and enjoy it. Life is for living and enjoying the beautiful things in life.
    That reminds me i'd better let my good wife out of the cupboard ;)

11. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jul 28, 2015

Congratulations!

Amazing watch and kit that I bet even the Longines museum wouldn't mind having...

...and even though it's been dibs'ed multiple times already, I certainly don't mind getting in line:

* Dibs! *

I'm with Alpha. I would love to find a SS Flagship like this, because then I'd actually wear it; I'm not really one to wear gold...

Thanks for sharing this beauty!

Spike likes this.
  12. Spike Jul 28, 2015

Thanks Dougmeister, quite a compliment coming from someone with your collection!

I'm going to say one final word on this watch (well maybe not totally final!) and I'll try not to make it sound like an Oscar acceptance speech...........

I showed this to Dennis before I bought it for an idea on value, and he encouraged me to get it quick 'as it won't be hanging around'........Dennis has helped me a lot, he must be sick to the back teeth of me and my questions but always is kind enough to help and just asked with this that if I wasn't going for it could I tell him straight away so he could get it. How cool is that, and what a great friendly place this is!

Oh, and I'd also like to thank my agent, my wife and my children without who none of this would be possible.............

Edited Jul 29, 2015
    noelekal likes this.
  13. tsbphd Jul 28, 2015

Gorgeous watch and amazing set. I would also suggest to lightly service the watch, keep the crystal original and wear it the piece.

Spike likes this.
  14. Dedalus Jul 30, 2015

Fantastic set. ::love::
    Congratulations.

Spike likes this.
  15. speedbird Aug 1, 2015

all that vintage paperwork!

Spike likes this.
  16. sryukon Aug 8, 2015

Very nice that's a keeper at least for now LOL

Spike likes this.
  17. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 9, 2015

Yes, it's extra awesome when you get a full set like you have. First off: it makes you become much more connected to the life and history of the watch.

DaveK and Spike like this.
  18. smm1208 Aug 9, 2015

beautiful watch, amazing movement with its original paper work, i am very jealous

Spike likes this.
  19. Spike Aug 9, 2015

I'm still in 2 minds about this.................get it serviced and wear occassionally or keep it 'untouched' and original although of course a service doesn't actually harm it's originality........or does it?

It's silly really, it's not as if it's particularly valuable at all, it's just the old watchmaker was certainly indicating that he'd leave it 'as is' without a screwdriver having been near it post leaving the factory.

I think I will end up asking him to service it but do you guys think I will actually be taking value away from it from a selling on point of view?

Edited Aug 9, 2015
  20. ulackfocus Aug 9, 2015

Watches were made to be worn. Servicing won't hurt the originality as long as your watchmaker doesn't replace parts without your consent.

khmt2 likes this.