Forums Latest Members

June 2018 Time4apint: My question on1970's Speedmaster hand set not quite answered

1. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jun 22, 2018

Hello Forum. I wonder if you could help me with a couple of questions?

When I inherited my mid-1960's (105.012-65) Speedmaster it had a set of early 1970's, tritium, service hands with a square end chrono. Last year, these hands were replaced by Swiss Time Services UK with a set of, 'period correct', hands with a drop end chrono.

As you can see (by comparing the top photograph with the bottom photograph) the minute hand, on the old 1970's set, (top photo) is slightly shorter than the minute hand on the 'period correct' set fitted last year. It also has a shorter 'lume slot'. (bottom photo)

(EDIT: Sorry::shy::....Text in the photo below should read "with shorter minute hand".)
    a2be5636-2339-433e-9f5b-9431b0439eeb.jpg

I have a question and would appreciate some help from our experts:

Is the old 1970's hand set (with short minute hand) a genuine Omega Speedmaster replacement, and are they specific to 1970's speedy references?

Thankyou Forum.

Edited Jun 27, 2018
    noelekal likes this.
  2. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jun 27, 2018

Just a short message to say thankyou to Chris, @tyrantlizardrex, for putting together the Time4apint meetings in London, UK.:thumbsup:

Following a (100 mile plus) drive to London, I managed to combine a dull, work related, visit with a very enjoyable, and enlightening, meeting with the Time4apint chaps.

I was pleased to receive one or two helpful suggestions, with regard to the question I've asked in this thread, and also enjoyed spending a couple of hours looking and learning about some of the lovely watches that were on display last night.

I remember that when I first saw photographs, on the forum, of the JB Champion bracelets I was instantly drawn to them. With that in mind, it was nice to have the opportunity to actually take a look at one last night coupled with a very nice Omega Speedmaster. Also, amongst the splendid watches, the other highlight of my evening was a very striking Snoopy Speedmaster.

All in all, a lovely evening, enjoying a nice, cool, pint in the company of some friendly, helpful Omega Forum members.

Cheers!:thumbsup:

(I hope the owners of these beautiful watches are happy for me to post them here for your enjoyment) :)
    20180626_212736-1-1.jpg
    20180626_213032-1-3.jpg

noelekal, Kmart, bdp and 6 others like this.
  3. mr_yossarian Jun 27, 2018

Aawsome Speedy on the JB, terrible picture though :)

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 27, 2018

5. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jun 27, 2018

Well I think for me to say I have an "answer" would be pushing it and so I've edited the thread title accordingly.:D The suggestion by one or two of the chaps (after photographing them and enlarging the screen) was that the 'taller collars' on the hands indicated that they were 1970's Omega service replacements? I seem to remember a while back that you mentioned the 'lume length' on the minute handbeing shorter than normal???.... This possibly raised a question as to them being genuine Omega hands???::confused2::

Anyway..... I suppose the answer @oddboy is... 'No' I didn't get a definite answer.:( but I had an interesting time asking and listening. I think I learn a bit more each time I attend these meetings.:)
    I will try to take some better more detailed photographs showing the underside of the hands. Trouble is, I really am not very good with a camera.::shy::

Edited Jun 27, 2018
  6. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jun 27, 2018

Yes sorry about that @mr_yossarian. After a pint, I really am a bit shakey with a camera.::shy::

7. Tristanp Jun 28, 2018

I think he was shaking with excitement

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  8. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jun 28, 2018

May have been the beer as well??? It was a very warm, thirsty, evening in London.::shy::

Tristanp likes this.
  9. Tristanp Jun 28, 2018

I hear you

10. Amaza Jun 29, 2018

I am by no means an expert but I believe that slightly shorter hands can be associated with the early version of the Speedmaster Mark II which had hands identical to the moonwatch but 0.5 mm shorter. It could be interesting for you to measure the hands with a caliber paying attention not to bend them.

An interesting discucussion about it https://omegaforums.net/threads/the-right-hands-for-speedmaster-mark-ii-145-014.36058/

Also the difference in tritium length may suggest a different omega chronograph from that time or as suggested a replacement part available at the time.

BTW beautiful speedy. It would be nice to see some picture of the dial at the sunlight. Looks very nice!

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  11. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jun 29, 2018

Thankyou @Amaza. Interesting post and some technical info from @Archer as well. I will see how accurately I can measure the hand set.

Thankyou for the compliment on my Dad's old watch. We are having a warm spell in the UK at the moment, so I should be able to get some decent pictures in sunlight.

Cheers!