Forums Latest Members
  1. TropicConnie Mar 19, 2018

I'm a big fan of vintage Cyma watches, they represent amazing value for money in my opinion, perhaps I'd even say they're some of the most undervalued vintage Swiss watches now that Longines are getting more and more expensive. Solid, well designed in-house movements in interesting cases with some lovely dials. My watchmaker says he's never had a troublesome Cyma, and when he needs a replacement part, a donor movement is always available at low cost. What's not to like!?

This is my second Cyma, my first was a very early Navystar. I like my movements wide and thin, and at 33.85 mm x 3.4 mm I think the Cal. 586K here fits the bill in the bargain department. The case is 38 mm wide but wears very big, on the wrist it looks no smaller than my 42 mm Sea-Gull. It's been serviced (not by my watch guy, but I trust the seller), and after 6 hours since I wound it, it's 3 seconds ahead. Not bad in my books!

This is my first watch in a chromed brass case, any tips to keep it looking good? When it was serviced the case was also re-plated so for now it looks great.

I'd also like to know if it's possible to have a watch crystal ground down a little? The acrylic crystal almost doubles the thickness of the watch and if a watchmaker is able to take a little of that height without compromizing the integrity of the seal (or have it touching the hands) I'd like to know about it.

[​IMG]

Edited Mar 19, 2018
    Waltesefalcon, Vitezi and bubba48 like this.
  2. Vitezi Mar 19, 2018

...And it's a Cymaflex!
    [​IMG]

TropicConnie likes this.
  3. TropicConnie Mar 19, 2018

I've been looking for information on the Cymaflex shock system all afternoon! When I was looking for information on my watch, I came across one source saying this type of watch was made during or shortly after WWII, using small pocket watch movements left over because they focused so much of their production line on making the Cal 234 WWW watches. But the earliest Cymaflex reference I was able to find using Google Books was from 1953. With the information you provided, I can search for patent records now. Thank you so much!

EDIT - looks like the Cymaflex system dates to the late 1930's, based on those patents. So it could very well be that the watch was made as a result of wartime shortages.

Edited Mar 19, 2018
    Vitezi likes this.
  4. Canuck Mar 19, 2018

Your watch likely had a glass crystal from the factory. Acrylic crystals are available in a variety of heights. Plastic high dome (PHD), or PKH crystals (lower). Or you might opt for a domed tempered mineral crystal. The sub second hand (rather than a center sweep hand) means the lower profile crystal should be fine.

TropicConnie likes this.
  5. bubba48 Mar 19, 2018

khmt2, Mitka, NT931 and 4 others like this.
  6. TropicConnie Mar 19, 2018

I'll look into getting a low dome crystal, maybe tempered mineral would be nice. So there's no chance the edge of the acrylic crystal already on it can have a fraction taken off it?

@bubba48 that is an extremely impressive collection! Love the three wristwatches with guilloché dials, and that chronometer pocket watch!

While we're at it, this was my first Cyma, a very original condition navystar. I just realized that both my Cymas seem to have 19 mm lugs.

[​IMG]

Edited Jun 16, 2018
    khmt2 and Vitezi like this.
  7. Canuck Mar 19, 2018

Remove some of the rim of the existing crystal in order to lower it. Suit yourself, but I’ve given you my suggestion to solve the problem.

TropicConnie likes this.
  8. TropicConnie Mar 20, 2018

It's reassuring to know from a reliable source such as yourself that the crystal can be lowered in this manner. When I first asked, this is precisely what I had in mind but I was unsure if it's possible. Thank you for your help.

9. NT931 Mar 3, 2019

I'd have to agree - vintage Cymas are quite charming. Jumbo sized time-only Cymas (36mm and up) aren't too difficult to find.

These are two 38mm models that I have; I particularly like the hands of the second one. Still looking for a good honeycomb dial or a textured dial like the lovely ones in @bubba48 's post!

AF68138A-8EF1-4E54-9930-A1EA7316387C.jpeg B921216B-EEC4-4E4A-BA36-3F4269A36F08.jpeg

khmt2, TropicConnie and bubba48 like this.
  10. TropicConnie Nov 22, 2019

A mild case of necrothreadia, I've been AWOL and I've missed the forums. In the meantime, the jumbo Cyma was sold when I needed cash; the last I saw of it was at a pawn shop (not the buyer) a few months later with a missing bezel, missing seconds hand, and bent hour hand. Made me seriously regret ever selling it.

That aside, I am now the owner of this Cyma Watersport from circa 1943-1954 (I'm guessing 1950 onwards is most likely). The dial is practically identical to some of the earliest arrowhead Constellations, and I presume it also would have competed with the likes of the Longines Conquest and Universal Polarouter. Perhaps it was the trend setter for the hidden crown? I don't think I've seen another from the decade; Omega only came out with a hidden crown model in 1962 (ref. 168.004) as far as I am aware.

[​IMG]

Edited Dec 1, 2019
    khmt2 likes this.