Joined the Omega club today with a Peter Blake 2254.50

I've long viewed Omega from the wrists of others as most of the vintage pieces I'm drawn too are far too expensive for me or hard to find and nothing in their modern catalog really has appealed to me enough to want to buy. However, I've been keeping my eye on the 2254.50 for a bit now, and finally pulled the trigger on one. This one is from 1998 and came out of Japan as a full set, and seems to be in excellent condition. It's running within COSC spec as well—which is just amazing to me for a watch with no service history.

I'm very impressed overall, but I wish the bezel had purchase—even with dry hands this one is hard to turn.

_DSC3858.jpg
Edited:

Congratulations on a well done selection. It looks right at home on your wrist!

Lovely first piece. Bezel could be looked at under service maybe?

Lovely first piece. Bezel could be looked at under service maybe?
Thank you. What I meant is that it’s hard to grip simply due to the design. I can tell it hasn’t been used much either. It’s not stiff, per se, just not broken in. It’s a fabulous watch nonetheless.

I've long viewed Omega from the wrists of others as most of the vintage pieces I'm drawn too are far too expensive for me or hard to find and nothing in their modern catalog really has appealed to me enough to want to buy. However, I've been keeping my eye on the 2254.50 for a bit now, and finally pulled the trigger on one. This one is from 1998 and came out of Japan as a full set, and seems to be in excellent condition. It's running within COSC spec as well—which is just amazing to me for a watch with no service history.

I'm very impressed overall, but I wish the bezel had purchase—even with dry hands this one is hard to turn.

_DSC3858.jpg
Congrats! I prefer this design of the hands over my Bond from the same era.

Thank you. What I meant is that it’s hard to grip simply due to the design. I can tell it hasn’t been used much either. It’s not stiff, per se, just not broken in. It’s a fabulous watch nonetheless.
Got it. Similar for my NTTD although figured in time the best way to grip and turn it

That's a great looking watch. Congrats!

Very nice, congrats, but with a watch over 25 years old, and with a bezel that's hard to turn, it is probably overdue for a service even though it is running within spec. I wouldn't get it wet unless I had it pressure checked, and even then I'd be careful.

First, welcome to the club! The Peter Blake is a beautiful watch. I have both the auto and quartz versions.

Second, you don't need a full service to get the bezel addressed. Go to any competent watchmaker who has a bezel pliers tool like the one below (photo by Archer from this website). It doesn't need to be Omega branded but it does need to be that type. They can pop off the bezel in 3 seconds and clean out the crud underneath and replace the bezel. I own about 6 Seamasters of this vintage and believe me, when they are cleaned out it makes a BIG difference. I realize the bezel edge is not grippy but when it's cleaned out it will turn easily. I own a tool like this (it's a Chinese clone--much cheaper but it still works fine) and have cleaned all of my Seamasters. A couple of them were really, really hard to turn. Now it's easy.

You cannot use a case knife on the bezel like a Rolex. You will bend the edge of the bezel. But with the correct pliers it's a super simple job. I can't believe a watchmaker would charge much at all for the job and I would think they would do it on the spot since it would only take a couple of minutes. Good luck.

1601065-51bfe33870fef8107ff5e8bd0cdecfef.jpg

I bought this kit for around $80-$90. Money well spent given how much I've used it. But if you only have one Seamaster, you're better off going to a watchmaker. I can't believe they would charge more than $20 for the job.

s-l400.png
Edited:

Welcome to the club Anthony, thats a beauty! 👍

My old scratched up 2254 says hello.
1826540-7cd634e516621ee707b034ddc60a59a7.jpg

Thanks all, we seem to be good on the bezel action. Either my hands were slippery or I just needed to move it around a few times. It’s good now.

The 2254.50 is a classic that will always be in style. Great proportions. Mine came from Japan also.

20240613_224247.jpg