Forums Latest Members

John Mayer Talking Watches (Part 2; 3 years later)

1. dlg Jul 11, 2016

2. abrod520 Jul 11, 2016

Was just going to post about this - the first line in the video is "John [Mayer] was coming to town, and we just happened to have the entire IWC collection in the office this week"

Look, I don't mind IWC rolling out John Mayer in a Hodinkee video to sell their latest line of watches, but at least be up front about it. There's been a fair amount of vitriol towards Hodinkee of late, and while I've been more or less on the fence about it, I find the lack of transparency in this instance to be almost a sign of contempt towards their readership.

Doesn't help that I find both Mayer and IWC to be crass, poor examples of their respective industries, but hey.

EDIT: Hodinkee says it wasn't sponsored and is in fact illegal according to FTC guidelines to pass off sponsored content as non-sponsored, so I guess Mayer's presence at the same time as the IWC collection was a coincidence.

Still stand by comment on Mayer and IWC though.

Edited Jul 11, 2016
  3. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Jul 11, 2016

Big fan of new pilots and iwc.... Have had a pilot and an ingenuir pass thru the collection last couple of years

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 11, 2016

I like his writing... his speaking... Came off as a little too self centered to me.

As for IWC being in the office... Mayer is an investor in Hodinkee, odds are they had the watches anyway and decided to do it at the same time. It makes sense to place him with them.

That WWII pilot... I want it badly.

Linzer likes this.
  5. dlg Jul 11, 2016

Why did you find him self centered?

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 11, 2016

Seems to be over estimating his affect on the popularity of the Big Pilot, also he seems a little to self satisfied on some of his comments that were really not that clever (ie teaching how to learn something and appear to already know it). His commentary on the Platinum seemed a bit weird also, I could come up with a way better way to say what he was saying about it. IDK just kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

7. Linzer Jul 11, 2016

I like his writing too and enjoyed reading his letter to IWC. As far as speaking goes, I'd rather listen to his guitar playing ::psy::
    One thing is for sure, he has an awesome collection of watches including the one mentioned above.

8. micampe Jul 11, 2016

“It's very quick to change the time because the gear ratio is so high, which makes it perfect for traveling”

::facepalm1::

I'm glad Ben called him out on complaining about the new model not being a “real tool” and then buying a platinum one. Just found most of his comments kinda shallow.

Edited Jul 11, 2016
  9. dlg Jul 11, 2016

What is the correct term for what he was trying to describe? Or did he just not know what he was talking about at all?

10. micampe Jul 11, 2016

I don't think the terms are wrong, it's just a silly comment to make. All he was saying is that he likes the crown feel, which I understand, but it's not necessary to try to justify a feeling.

There are more sensible options than making the hands spin faster if you frequently adjust time zones.