Forums Latest Members

John Lennon would be 80 today

1. Walrus Oct 9, 2020

I was born after the Beatles broke up but like many others I have been a beatle fan since I understood music. In the past I have gone to strawberry fields in Central Park nyc on his birthday. If you bring an instrument people form impromptu bands and just jam Beatles for hours. It’s coming up on 40 years since he was killed, sad to think of what might have been.

Tony C., Joe_A, Dan S and 8 others like this.
  2. CPRwatch Oct 9, 2020

Imagine

Spruce, Caliber561, pdxleaf and 3 others like this.
  3. pdxleaf ... Oct 9, 2020

He'd probably never get out of bed.

::rimshot::

4. Walrus Oct 9, 2020

I don’t know Paul and Ringo are still doing ok

noelekal likes this.
  5. LesXL Oct 9, 2020

A Day In The Life

6. pdxleaf ... Oct 9, 2020

Charlemagne1333 and Walrus like this.
  7. Walrus Oct 9, 2020

upload_2020-10-9_18-56-35.jpeg

8. Walrus Oct 9, 2020

9. Rodentman Oct 9, 2020

I was a teenager when the British Invasion took place. I "grew up" with the Beatles music and admire their work immensely. True musical genius, all of them, led by John.

10. Walrus Oct 9, 2020

My new goal in life is to find John Lennon’s Patek. I’ll worry about the 8 million or whatever to buy it after that. It entices me more than a missing moon watch.

noelekal and pw92676 like this.
  11. Evitzee Oct 9, 2020

Better chance of scoring one of Clapton's Patek's

12. Walrus Oct 9, 2020

Ya but I saw Clapton so many times and if I ever hear Layla again I might jump off a building. His from the cradle tour was great but if I never hear Layla or cocaine again the rest of my life I’ve still heard them too many times. EC can keep his patek, ok I’ll take it.

noelekal and pdxleaf like this.
  13. pw92676 Oct 9, 2020

I only got into the Beatles about 2 years ago after listening to what my wife had on her playlist. She grew up a Beatles fan in a house that loved the Beatles. I didn’t. I missed out. Amazing and timeless music.

The only advantage that new Beatles fans have is that we get to admire the entire collection available at once. Overwhelming but exhilarating.

noelekal, Donn Chambers and Walrus like this.
  14. Walrus Oct 9, 2020

I saw an interview with Paul that the Beatles had tough time playing nowhere man live. Getting the harmony right when the couldn’t hear themselves over the crowd screaming was near impossible. Ringo said he used to try to read John or Paul’s lips so he could figure out where he was in the song. Must have been something. If any of you have XM radio they are doing a special all weekend. Playing obscure stuff, outtakes and interviews, it’s good stuff.

15. Walrus Oct 10, 2020

66 seamaster could have been at a beatle concert who knows. Plus perhaps my favorite Beatle song “in my life”
    AF570CED-2931-4B17-B58B-B9E5D7E05C18.jpeg

CPRwatch likes this.
  16. pdxleaf ... Oct 10, 2020

I have a soft spot for Hey, Jude. It's the first Beatles song I remember hearing. I was like 10, 11 or 12 traveling on a train through East Germany with my boy scout troop headed to Berlin. Someone had a transitor radio and the song was playing. We had to keep the curtains closed (we peeked) and the East German soldiers would walk through the train at each stop with their giant wierd helmuts and guns. Made an impression up close. Then in Berlin we visited Checkpoint Charlie and the wall. Hey Jude plays and I'm back on that train.

noelekal and Walrus like this.
  17. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 10, 2020

I was born about the time John and Paul first met. The first few vinyl albums I ever purchased were in 1970 at 13 years of age and included "Abbey Road", "Bridge Over Troubled Waters", and a Tijuana Brass greatest hits album. Seems like they were around $3.50 each which was huge money for me at the time. I still have 'em though they sound like they were used as Frisbees on an asphalt parking lot.

Older cousins as well as older siblings of friends were cranking the Beatles when I was younger so I was well exposed to them before the album purchases. I recall as a kid that I thought that "Hey Jude" was being worn out on the radio and I was heartily sick of hearing it when it was popular. Later I've come to regard it almost as a thread that runs through my life and find it heartwarming anytime I hear it playing in the background in public. Of course it receives its due on the home stereo here.

I can't help but have a regard for John Lennon. Seemed a bit of a tortured soul who was finally growing up when he was cruelly removed from the world. I was one of those who felt like he'd only gotten in on the end of their career and the morning news there in December of 1980 was a gut punch to my dreams of them reuniting and continuing on. I remember hearing it on the news in the car on the way to the office. Upon arriving for the required morning loan officers' meeting, an older loan officer made some snide remark about Lennon's murder. Should have punched him right then. Still know the guy and still resent not punching him.

With a long held regard for the best of the Beatles' work, I've occasionally delved into narratives pertaining to their history. What a pressure cooker it must have been for what amounted to just kids who really never had opportunity to finish growing up.

Edited Oct 11, 2020
    pw92676, pdxleaf and Walrus like this.
  18. Walrus Oct 10, 2020

In
    yes, I saw on a site someone post numerous quotes of Lennon’s which were on the nasty side but if you look at his actions and his music you can see he was searching and changing. He grew up thinking his aunt was his mother, shortly after he reunited with his real mother she was killed after seeing him, went from a relatively poor no one to one of the most famous people on earth. When you hear those interviews when double fantasy came out he sounded more at peace with himself. In one interview he mentions he hadn’t touched his guitar for 6-8 years, don’t quote me on that, my memory had issues. Had he not been shot in the street who knows what would have been. For years I have played his music and for years his music brought me much happiness. I wish I could thank him personally.

19. river rat Oct 14, 2020

In my younger days use to be heavy into music. Was in the us navy in Guam when that dumb ass shot John Lennon. A bunch of us on the ship was sad about it so we went to this dive of a bar on base called Andy’s Hut and got drunk over it. Think the idiot who shot John Lennon out of the nut house now he got off to easy. I remember when my sister went nuts over the Beatles when she saw them on the Ed Sullivan show on TV I guess the first time the Beatles came to the USA. Now I am showing my age.

20. Engee Oct 14, 2020

He's still incarcerated.