Forums Latest Members

JLC Triple Date Moon phase

1. JM251 Oct 30, 2021

2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 30, 2021

These are iconic. I own a modern version in RG. I’m not a watchmaker but this issue could be broken dial feet, a risky repair or there is a case part missing. Hope you know a good restoration watchmaker. I’d want to see the underside of that dial.

JM251 likes this.
  3. JM251 Oct 30, 2021

Larry, good info. I requested addt'l photos. Curious to see the dealer's response. Thank you for the heads up. :thumbsup:

4. Evitzee Oct 30, 2021

Something is definitely wrong for the dial to separate from the case like that, the movement and dial should fit tight in the case. Once the dial is on the movement there just isn't any way that that gap can occur, the dial fits flush to the upper case when installed in the case. I have a JLC triple date in rose gold, no moonphase, of the same era and there is no gap at all between dial and case, tight all around. An underdial view, and a backside view of the dial, would be nice but I doubt you will get one. As mentioned, you'll want to have someone who can look after this watch, they are almost a never 'strap on and go' proposition. They aren't that complicated but do require some extra care versus a modern watch.

IMG_0711.JPG IMG_0713.JPG
    Edited Oct 30, 2021
    JM251, lindo and Larry S like this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 30, 2021

@JM251 … were you to land this lovely watch, it might be worth sending it to JLC for restoration if the feet are missing. . Won’t be cheap but might be the best path.

6. Evitzee Oct 30, 2021

If the OP has about $6k in it as is, the added cost of a JLC LeSentier restoration will make it a crazy expensive proposition. If he loves the watch, great, but you'll end up with at least a $10k watch. For that kind of money I'd keep searching for one that wouldn't need such a restoration effort.

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 30, 2021

If it’s messing with the underside of the dial, I’d be loath to send it anywhere else. . Juice ain’t worth the squeeze at 6k. I’d put the screws to the seller. Looking at the movement, I think I see a hole where the foot should be.

8. Evitzee Oct 30, 2021

I don't disagree with you, this wouldn't be a project for just anyone. But I think it is something more than dial feet, there just isn't space in the case for that much gap to show. Something just doesn't add up. Without more info from the seller it wouldn't be a watch I would buy.

Archer and Larry S like this.