Forums Latest Members
  1. Rallis Feb 1, 2015

Hey Fellows

I was wondering how common these are/is the price advertised a fair market representation?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-196...ular-Tank-Watch-Serviced-Sydney-/141560971586Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I do believe it is the same model Omega JFK was gifted by his friend "Grant", before he was officially elected president. Due to this, is there possibly a collectors premium associated with the price of the piece given the provenience?
    I do somewhat remember reading a article stating the actual piece owned by JFK was purchased at auction by the Omega Museum for around the $300,000 USD, (given the disparity in prices between the price paid at auction and that advertised by the eBay listing I would hypothesis that the premium in this case was well attributed to the actual physical ownership of JFK, and not the production rarity of the particular piece).
    I am aware of its small size and how this may detract form the value in a contemporary setting, however I am not much a fan of anything over 36-40mm, and do in fact prefer weightless watches which disappear discretely behind a cuff.
    Anyway, I am looking to acquire a slim, small tank like watch for black tie wear, and the above listed Omega fits the bill.

Any information on the piece would be of interest to me, along with perhaps a realistic price range I should be looking for the said piece within.

Regards, James.

b8db7620702d98df489d67dc33217438.jpg
    Nobel Prize likes this.
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 2, 2015

I'm not familiar with the vurrent market price of these, but I can say there would be no market premium due to the JFK connection, unless it is the actual JFK watch.

Now if Nina Rindt had been photographed wearing this reference... :rolleyes:

Nobel Prize likes this.
  3. Beefylugs Feb 2, 2015

And the JFK Watch is at Omega's museum in Bienne...

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 2, 2015

5. cristos71 Feb 2, 2015

I´ve just looked at the Ebay watch and compared it to the JFK watch and they don´t look like the same reference to me. Yes they are both oblong, with white dials, but that is about where the similarities end, especially when comparing the cases,

What makes you think they are the same reference?

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 2, 2015

Yes the eBay watch is different, as quickly evidenced by the non-recessed crown

7. Beefylugs Feb 2, 2015

OT 3980 for JFK's watch

8. jrpippen Feb 2, 2015

I like it! If humpy can wear a Reverso this will be fine.

9. Rallis Feb 3, 2015

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Perhaps I should have evaluated the apparent differences between the two pieces without making my initial assumption in the post. Would I be correct to assume that these references are uncommon? as I have not seen a prevalence of them anywhere on the web, at least in comparison to the round faced Seamaster dress watches of the same period.