Jaeger LeCoultre Atmos 540 clock needing service $800

Location: US TFA SOLD 
$ 800 USD
Posts
4,073
Likes
6,980
Used Atmos clock. Runs slow and cannot adjust to run faster. I’m thinking something is wrong with the pendulum spring. Has good amplitude. Looks like it had a front plaque. Have references here and am a seller on eBay. Please feel free to ask questions. I would like to do a face to face in Portland Oregon if possible, but can ship for $100. I have shipped lots of these over the years and it is always expensive.

 
Posts
2,625
Likes
2,804
Ooof... DO I need another of these? I am looking at the LAST one you sold here on my desk 😁

I've been tempted to learn how to service these as well. Perhaps i'll let the other Portlanders have a shot first.
 
Posts
4,063
Likes
8,771
Hmm... that's a beauty.
Is there anyone in the Portland area that services these, or would I be looking at a factory service?
 
Posts
4,073
Likes
6,980
Ooof... DO I need another of these? I am looking at the LAST one you sold here on my desk 😁

I've been tempted to learn how to service these as well. Perhaps i'll let the other Portlanders have a shot first.
You want. 540s are more difficult than the rest. I’m not touching it.
 
Posts
2,625
Likes
2,804
Doesn’t seem to work on 540s
Oh, hrmph. This might be a 'adjust weights' sorta one then, the FB group (Atmos Clock Repair Group) can be really helpful, lots of knowledgeable guys there. IIRC there is still the 2nd adjustment on that (the collar that he mentions after talking about the weights i that video) as a 'coarse' adjustment thatyou can do.
 
Posts
4,073
Likes
6,980
Oh, hrmph. This might be a 'adjust weights' sorta one then, the FB group (Atmos Clock Repair Group) can be really helpful, lots of knowledgeable guys there. IIRC there is still the 2nd adjustment on that (the collar that he mentions after talking about the weights i that video) as a 'coarse' adjustment thatyou can do.
Can’t help but think at one point it must have run properly. It is like 10 minutes a day out at full adjustment.
 
Posts
18,737
Likes
38,888
Doesn’t seem to work on 540s
It's the correct coarse adjustment for the 540. Although as you've said, if it doesn't work it may be another issue 😟.

If it was in Portland Victoria I'd be in my car and heading off on an eight hour round trip.
 
Posts
4,073
Likes
6,980
It's the correct coarse adjustment for the 540. Although as you've said, if it doesn't work it may be another issue 😟.

If it was in Portland Victoria I'd be in my car and heading off on an eight hour round trip.
540s don’t have the castellated thingy.
 
Posts
18,737
Likes
38,888
My service manual is obviously incorrect then.
This is the section on replacing a 540 suspension wire, the author must have used their stock photos.

 
Posts
4,073
Likes
6,980
I have considered locking the pendulum, loosening the spring clamp and pulling the wire up a tiny amount. I have no issues messing with the earlier movements , but if I remember correctly 540s require an unobtainable tool for setting up the spring and the spring is not readily available.
 
Posts
18,737
Likes
38,888
Indeed, the procedure looks quite complex, I don't think I'd try it, even though I did service a 526-5 a while ago.