hi
    Anyone have any info on this piece
    The watch is 9ct gold in its original presentation case
    Including a bronze coronation. Medallion
    The watch case appears to be hallmarked on the side with the queens head

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 12, 2017

Pictures?

3. jimmyd13 May 12, 2017

JW Benson's factory was destroyed in the first world war (bombed by a Zeppelin if I remember correctly). After that, they bought a variety of Swiss movements which they cased themselves, though they didn't always make their own cases either. They went out of business in the early 70s. Anyway, there's always been some quality to their watches but no great following, which is hardly surprising given their history, or lack of.

They go for the same sort of money as other third tier makers - £3-500 - depending on condition and metal. I can't recall a Coronation watch - pictures will go a long way.

chronos likes this.
  4. Snowman May 14, 2017

Will try to get some photos on by Monday

5. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan May 15, 2017

Interested to see pics too

6. Snowman May 15, 2017

Some photos as asked
    The watch is in first class condition
    Keeps perfect time
    Looks to be completely original including strap

IMG_0245.JPG IMG_0246.JPG IMG_0247.JPG IMG_0248.JPG
  7. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids May 15, 2017

Unfortunately, it looks to me like the dial has been refinished. We'd need better photos to make a fuller judgement.

But still an interesting watch + box!

8. Snowman May 15, 2017

Thanks for the feedback
    Bought from local pawn broker for not a lot of money
    More interested in its history can't find any info online

9. keepitsimple May 15, 2017

A lot of their watches from the early to mid fifties were made by Smiths, and I'd be fairly sure this one was. The Smiths movements are instantly recognisable if you can get the back off and photo it.
    I'm not sure if they made their own cases at that point. A lot of English watches - and quite a few Swiss watches cased up in the UK - had cases made by Dennisons.
    I also suspect it has been re-dialled. Party because the dial looks in much better condition than the hands (the tip of the minute hand also looks bent), but also because the Bensons name is in conventional characters, rather than their normal script form, which would probably have been more difficult to reproduce.
    There's a similar watch for sale on here for comparison.
    https://www.smithswatches.com/colle...ndon-wristwatch-cusion-cased-chrome-and-steel.

Yours is a nice looking watch. I've always like the cushion cases from that era.

sxl2004 likes this.
  10. jimmyd13 May 15, 2017

I have an untouched Benson with the same font, same detail. I'm more concerned by the poor quality numbers but without a piece to compare to I'm going to sit on the fence about that one.

It's interesting but of no great value. Benson was a company that deserved better but that Zeppelin put an end to their manufacturing ... at this point I think the others are entirely correct - likely to find it's a Smiths movement in a Dennison case.

11. keepitsimple May 15, 2017

Could also be a Swiss movement I guess, as it doesn't specify anything on the dial - but that would have been very unpatriotic given the commemorative event.......

12. Canuck May 15, 2017

Benson also used Tavannes (Cyma) movements. I have one, but not that model, and 20-years older.

13. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Oct 21, 2019

I would welcome some information on this watch. Any value guesses?. History?. Age?. I can’t get it open unfortunately.
    image.jpg image.jpg

14. Canuck Oct 21, 2019

You might consider creating a new thread since the one you have attached to is 2 1/2 years old as of the most recent post.

15. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Oct 21, 2019

Considered and done thanks.