Forums Latest Members

J.L.C. back from intensive care

1. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 27, 2017

Travel alarm clock has today returned from some real intensive care with several new parts being fabricated by watchmaker and I must admit I am over the moon - waiting on some Speedmaster comments ;)

Main thrust of the post is to see if anyone can help with my attempts to trace the history of the piece.
    As you can see it is embossed 'Amiens Christmas 1944' and also what is not so visible ' From L. T*****'
    From my own research and with assistance from the Halle Orchestra it is confirmed that the orchestra was touring the Western Front over Christmas and New Year 1944 and the leader at the time was one Laurance Turner.
    In all probability this may be all that I will ever find out but if anyone has any information on perhaps who this may have been a gift to or other ideas needless to say input will be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:
    IMG_5937.jpg

IMG_5968.jpg

IMG_5963.jpg

IMG_5980.jpg

jimmyd13, ChrisN, Tbone and 16 others like this.
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 27, 2017

Did JLC do the work? Very nice restoration.

3. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 27, 2017

My watchmaker applied fresh lume to the hands as a section was missing but everything else is as found.

IMG_5985.jpg

Edited Jan 27, 2017
    Larry S and noelekal like this.
  4. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 27, 2017

That's gorgeous and the dial's styling is pleasingly sharp! That's an intriguing bit possible history you've included. A quick look to Google finds that Laurance Turner was also a classical violinist. Would be fun to search further when I have time.

5. trama Jan 27, 2017

I love travel alarms. My small one says hi:
    image.jpg

image.jpg

Alpha likes this.
  6. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 28, 2017

A movement shot before it went off to hospital, yes I know, nudie fingers ::facepalm2::

IMG_8441.jpg

On research I have contacted JLC but whether I will hear back ?