Forums Latest Members
  1. sba2222 Dec 7, 2015

Hi All, a member of the forum has offered me this watch.

And I could really use some opinions as I am no IWC expert.

The info I have is that it was serviced in November, and that I will only be receiving the head with no strap.

And: "It´s a ref 910 A. Calibre 8541, automatic with date. It´s from 1965, according to the serial of the case and the movement, 1,7 mill on both. It measures 34,5 mm excluding the crown" "solid gold/ stainless steel (the caseback is steel, the rest of the case is solid gold)"

Thanks!

178784-a900b32339816ac614e02f36a092a6e2.jpg 178816-6ec34d0d6685071321f894326663e9e2.jpg 178815-b4c016d52d47d3355674b3733639c8a0.jpg
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 7, 2015

This is a very nice IWC. Here is another later example from the official IWC forum:

http://www.iwc.com/forum/en/discussion/15526/

From a 1972 catalog.

http://www.iwcforum.com/Catalogs/1972/0000021.jpg

image.jpeg

And another:

http://m.bonhams.com/auctions/22784/lot/103/

Here is a site with a database of IWC case numbers and serial numbers:

http://moeb.on-rev.com/dyIWC/dyIWCm.irev

image.jpeg

Looks to match up nicely and the black dial looks excellent!

If you are getting this under $1,500 you are doing well.

Good luck.
    gatorcpa

JohnSteed and noelekal like this.
  3. ulackfocus Dec 8, 2015

Looks like a very nice original black dial.

Does the crown have the fish symbol on it?

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 8, 2015

Oh yes. I almost forgot....

Dibs!
    gatorcpa

5. sba2222 Dec 9, 2015

Thanks for all your help.

I was reading this online regarding the vintage IWC: http://www.frizzellweb.com/larry/ingenieur/Ingenieur3.html

And I'm just trying to figure out the watch, so I could use some help/ second opinions, or confirmation of my thoughts.

From reading that article I believe I am correct to say that the case is not from the same time as the movement of the watch - which is probably a good thing because the movement is better than it otherwise would have been. But also, the article says that: "Apparently the mixed case style (14kt with stainless steel caseback) was no longer produced, and the only known gold version was in 18kt yellow gold.The dials, while fewer in variety, were now given extra special attention, with many having a sunburst pattern or other special finish.During this time period silver dials were the main offering, but gray/anthracite and an exquisite midnight blue were also available on stainless steel models, while silver and gold/champagne dials (see 1974 catalog below) were also available for the 18kt variations." which leads me to believe that this dial was put in this face?

Im not exactly sure if I'm understanding correctly. Because it says the gray dial was only on SS models, but the watch I have posted is a solid gold front with a gray dial. Thoughts?

If this is correct, is this necessarily a bad thing? I also just really want to try and find a photo of the exact same watch somewhere.

Lastly, do you know what the watch is called? Is it simply a vintage IWC or is it called an ingenieur? Or something else?

Thanks Again :)

6. sba2222 Dec 9, 2015

YEs there is a fish symbol :)

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 9, 2015

If this was an Ingenieur, it would be a $5,000 watch, minimum. Maybe a lot more.

The article specifically addresses the Ingenieur (Engineer) model, which had its own special case and dial styles, although they used the standard IWC automatic movements.

IMO, the case movement and dial absolutely go together. It is common for movements to be assembled as much as two years ahead of case production. The dating charts on the web are only rough approximations. My guess is that it is from 1966, but only IWC can tell you for sure.

What you have is just an extremely nice vintage IWC automatic with a rarely seen grey dial and solid gold case top.

If you want information from the real experts, go over to the official IWC collectors forum:

http://www.iwc.com/forum/en/

Post the pictures there and they will tell you the real scoop on it. Very nice people there.

Let's us know what you find out, or just post the link when you create the thread.

gatorcpa

8. davidswiss Dec 12, 2015

That looks like a very good watch in decent condition. Vintage IWC prices are very low in my opinion but it depends what you want in a watch.
    They are technically excellent and were very well made but I think the restrained designs meant they were never bought by the rich and famous, just by people who could afford a very good quality watch but didn't need to show off. Much like the connie of the 50's and 60's maybe.

9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 12, 2015

Compared to what, Patek Philippe?

10. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 12, 2015

In the early days, many of the top brands, with Patek as a prime example, practiced restrained designed. People call IWC the poor man's Patek because of their design similarities. In the early days, restraint was often associated with luxury.

aap and Tony C. like this.
  11. davidswiss Dec 13, 2015

Fair point.

12. davidswiss Dec 13, 2015

I wasn't comparing them to anything really. I think that vintage watches of that quality in the market today would increase a lot in value as for instance Vacheron have done but IWC have not.

13. aap Dec 13, 2015

As the saying goes: "If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter"

Modest_Proposal and George.A like this.
  14. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 13, 2015

Actually, most vintage V&C have lost value in recent years. You can get a really nice gold V&C for around $5k today, and it was more like $7-8k a few years ago.

IWC values tend to be relatively consistent and fairly strong. Ingenieurs and Aqautimers are particularly strong in the market, but I wouldn't say that their more common models are undervalued, either.

Edited Dec 13, 2015
    Modest_Proposal likes this.
  15. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 13, 2015

Which is similar to what I listed my NOS 36mm Vacheron for, with original strap and 18k buckle. NOS!

Can you imagine what a NOS 36mm Patak would be valued at?

IMG_20150515_113105432_HDR_zpsimjoierw.jpg
  16. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 13, 2015

Yes, the disparity is crazy, given that one can acquire a V&C in top condition for the price of a mediocre PP. Great value, in that context.

17. davidswiss Dec 13, 2015

I think the dress watches are undervalued and I'm pleased about that. The sports and military watches have an additional, or maybe different, set of buyers to increase demand and therefore cost.

18. sba2222 Dec 14, 2015

Umm "poor man's Patek" That is SO AWFUL :( Is that what people actually think of IWC's???::confused2::::confused2::::confused2::

I had read such good things about it, which is why I went ahead and purchased it as a gift!

19. ulackfocus Dec 14, 2015

"The Working Man's Patek" is the actual phrase.

George.A and Modest_Proposal like this.
  20. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 14, 2015

Yeah, ulackfocus is correct.

But, still, it worries me that your opinion of a watch would be so easily persuaded by a little phrase. Perhaps some more research and contemplation was in order?

Anyway, vintage IWC is well respected, if that's what you care about.

marturx likes this.