Forums Latest Members

WITHDRAWN IWC cushion case Pellaton Automatic caliber 8541

1. ulackfocus Jul 24, 2018

Hello Omega Forum guys and gals! It's time to continue my quest towards watch nirvana (i.e. getting my collection down to single digits) so I'm offering up my stainless steel IWC automatic.

First things first - I'm not 100% sure of the service history. I bought it a while back from Japanese seller eLady during one of their sales, and it's only a couple seconds off per day. Also, the watch is not a safe queen - it's a very wearable daily driver. The pictures will exaggerate any dings or scrapes on the case, and show the general condition of all parts. The two major flaws on the case surface are emphasized in the last two shots.... one ding at the top around 11:30, one scratch & ding combination around 4.

For those that know, the Pellaton caliber 8541 needs no introduction. It's one of the best automatic movements ever made, with a winding system so efficient several major brands copied it's format. IWC still uses the winding system in some of its modern calibers today. This caliber winds and sets perfectly. The crown is original with the fish logo, and the dial is in great original shape with a nice silver 12-to-6 brushed finish. Even more desirable is the reference #10 Oyster link bracelet, which sells for several hundred dollars if offered separately.

The case is 39.5 mm measured diagonally from 2 to 8, and 36 mm from 3 to 9 across. Since it has no lugs (the bracelet connects underneath the hooded case), it wears very comfortably as the bracelet can conform to your wrist easily. I estimate this should fit wrist up to 7.3" given that I have it set to the middle adjustment and have a 6.75" wrist.

Judging by the applied IWC logo on the dial, I'd say this is most likely a very late 60's to mid 70's watch. I'm not going to risk damaging the watch by prying open the caseback to get the numbers or show movement pics, so I've priced the watch accordingly. On to the photos!

fullsizeoutput_3d5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3db.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3dc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3dd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3de.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3e0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3d3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3e2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3e3.jpeg

All things considered, I'm offering it at $1575 (REDUCED to $1350 temporarily) including USPS Priority Small Box shipping within the CONUS. Contact me at d h kanagie @ gmail . com (remove spaces) or via PM. I accept PayPal (and I won't ask you to cover the fees nor send payment via Friends and Family!!!!) and bank transfer. If you have any questions, fire away via PM.

Thanks for looking!

Edited Jul 27, 2018
  2. aap Jul 24, 2018

I'd love to know / see the final collection you're keeping (and your criteria for selection) :)

propervinyl likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Jul 25, 2018

New contact information listed, and a $50 reduction to $1575.

4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 25, 2018

I think there's an excellent Centenary, a VC and a AP in that shoebox!
    Nice watch, Dennis, glwts.

5. ulackfocus Jul 26, 2018

Let's get this a new home - reasonable offers entertained.

I don't know yet what will survive the last round of cuts. My criteria will be whatever strikes my fancy the most. ;)

aap likes this.
  6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 26, 2018

23 hours 35 minutes doesn't equal 24 hours. Just saying.

ulackfocus likes this.
  7. ulackfocus Jul 27, 2018

If you've looked at this watch and considered it, you're gonna like this bump. Reduction to $1350 and reasonable offers entertained. If it doesn't sell within a week from now, I have no issue keeping it!

I waited a few hours this time, ok? ;)

8. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 29, 2018

I'm so proud of you.