Forums Latest Members

IWC 2019 Spitfire Collection looks impressive, thoughts?

1. trebor2 Apr 22, 2020

scapa and stevec14 like this.
  2. trebor2 Apr 22, 2020

Lugs are quite long at 50mm but it means the watch is quite comfortable and sits well on the wrist without too much overhang. All depends on wrist size of course, mine is 18cm.

Edited Jun 5, 2021
    scapa likes this.
  3. scapa Apr 22, 2020

Thanks for this. Was deciding between the Mk XVIII and this one as a daily but prefer the aesthetics and movement of the Spitfire overall. Looks great on your strap, also.

4. abrod520 Apr 22, 2020

I didn't pay attention to this stuff when it was new, but have only recently become interested in IWC. Tried on the Spitfire Chrono a couple times over the past couple months, and it's definitely on the list now. Much better proportions than the standard Pilots Watch Chronograph, and I do appreciate the in-house movement moving the running seconds to 6 - never really liked it at 9.

5. trebor2 Apr 22, 2020

Yeah, strap is nice quality and supple from new. Overall it's the most comfortable watch I've owned.

6. scapa Apr 22, 2020

Good to hear -- I've just ordered one. Had a doorstep demo (really) from the AD, and ended up preferring the Spitfire to the Heritage and the XVIII overall. I get the qualms about the dial colours, etc., but to me the proportions are just about perfect, it's a familiar IWC palette, and the detailing is superb.

They only had the textile in stock. I do have a ton of leather straps in house, however, and may look into adding the calfskin or even the bracelet at some point.

7. trebor2 Apr 23, 2020

Don't forget to register for the 6-year warranty extension on the IWC website.

8. mgmarsh39 Apr 23, 2020

9. scapa May 4, 2020

Mine was delivered just last week -- bought it on the textile but IWC threw in a calfskin as a bonus, which is on its way. Hand-winding and time and date setting are incredibly smooth and satisfying, ands it's less than 2s over the past week. Wears beautifully and has much more depth to its dial than did the LPP I originally bought and exchanged for this. Very pleased indeed. Already my favourite daily.

EDIT: Settling into +.5s in its second week. And the leather-backed textile strap is the best luxury NATO I've ever used, pushing my Tudor and Omega straps into the shade in terms of comfort and heft, though not sure if it's washable, which is a pretty key NATO trait.

IMG_9466.jpg

Edited May 7, 2020
    pete91m likes this.
  10. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction May 4, 2020

Every time I see a thread like this I think Omega is missing a trick by not reviving something close to the Dynamic III ;)
    omega-vintage-dynamic-iii-5203-list.jpg omega-vintage-dynamic-iii-5240-50-00-list.jpg

scapa likes this.
  11. scapa May 4, 2020

I’d buy one for the dial font alone. Reminds me a bit of a classic Hammer movie poster, in the best possible way. Love it.

12. Aussie Jim Feb 16, 2021

After not a single new watch (!) in 2020 I have lashed out on the 39mm Spitfire. Couldn't come at new price but found a mint condition used 2019 job at substantial discount.

It is beautifully made and just the right size. I read the external opinion about the red Spitfire on the dial, the white date window and the faux patina. This watch looks and feels beautiful in the flesh. The dial is an intriguing matte black, but can look blue or grey under different lighting.

Now the Spitfire etching on the back is a bit naff, but you don't get to look at that.

4 stars from me
    IMG_7090.jpeg

scapa, stevec14, JSal16 and 2 others like this.
  13. JSal16 Feb 16, 2021

I've tried on that watch in person. Pictures really just can't do it the justice it deserves. Congratulations on the new piece.

Aussie Jim likes this.
  14. scapa Feb 19, 2021

Congrats! I bought mine a while back and it's easily one of my faves. Beautifully-made with great attention to detail in the casework, handset and dial, runs within +5-7s per week, and I get more than 75 hours on a wind. Incredibly comfortable and looks good any most straps and great on plenty of them. The crown stem can be a bit stiff to start, but there's the 8-year warranty and I've found their CS to be very responsive in the past with my Rattrapante. Just a great piece, and a near-perfect blend of tool watch and luxury timepiece. Mine has replaced my Explorer in my rotation and it's a heck of a lot more legible.

Requisite crappy phone pic:

IWC sun.jpg

Aussie Jim likes this.
  15. Dr. Green Mar 2, 2021

Though not a Spitfire and not an actual model. Couldn't resist to post the most beautiful pilots watch ever made by IWC imo.

E8BB8066-1D65-46C7-935A-40985E8321A4.JPG