Forums Latest Auctions Members

IWC 2019 Spitfire Collection looks impressive, thoughts?

1. Riviera Paradise

Riviera Paradise Jan 13, 2019

Monochrome watches posted a good hands-on with the bronze version
    https://monochrome-watches.com/iwc-...anufacture-movement-sihh-2019-hands-on-price/

Now Hodinkee just posted a great introduction to the full IWC 2019 Spitfire collection.

Entry-level pilot automatics and chronographs now with in-house movements, competitively priced in steel (US$4,350.00 / US$5,700.00) and with wearable case sizes (39mm / 41mm).

The automatic or chronograph might be on my shopping list for 2019, curious to hear what the OF members think about this collection. Photos below from Hodinkee, video and additional photos in the link.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/iwc-pilots-watch-spitfire-collection-introducing
    IWC Spitfire Chronograph.jpg

IWC_3S3A0021.jpg IWC_291A6066.jpg

Edited Jan 13, 2019
    ALinares, ATWG, pix98 and 3 others like this.
  2. Kraut783

Kraut783 Jan 13, 2019

Nice, like the chrono and UTC

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  3. S.H.

S.H. Jan 14, 2019

IMHO, IWC is typically the kind of Swiss brand that's headed for trouble. They dropped their traditional in house movements years ago, now they get back with modified ebauches which cost an arm and a leg because of development cost, with half assed recycled designs. Summary : a bit like bell and ross but twice the price.

Just how many military-themed watches with this dial were produced over the years already? Almost 6k for a 41mm chrono, and they had to buy unsold stock back from resellers last year... Not sure how those new offerings will make the situation better, marketing guys will have to fire on all cylinders.

LeonDeBayonne likes this.
  4. ASJ

ASJ Jan 14, 2019

I do agree to the opinion. But design and colour wise, liking them especially on the Ltd one:

89CD9D6B-7090-43D5-8DB5-A752D6273B69.jpeg
    Riviera Paradise and ATWG like this.
  5. Riviera Paradise

Riviera Paradise Jan 14, 2019

The steel automatic is growing on me. Clean dial, 39mm X 10/11mm case dimensions, nice engraved case back, RAF Spitfire reference (something I appreciate) and new 72h power reserve movement for US$4,350.00.

IMO the new IWC is a significant threat to Bremont's entry range. I think Tudor's BB58 and this new offering from IWC are the right way to do vintage inspired pieces without growing overboard. I have been waiting to add a Pilot watch to my collection and I think this IWC automatic steel might become a strong contender. Shame that they don't offer a leather strap together with the military inspired NATO.

Comparing with other watches, I think this IWC automatic steel looks less dressy than a Rolex Explorer (which I own), Railmaster 60th, Tudor BB58 (both beautiful) and more elegant than the Railmaster non-LE.

Pun likes this.
  6. BenjaminT

BenjaminT Jan 14, 2019

:thumbsup:. Now, IWC, give me one of those wonderful bracelets, non-vintage lume and get rid of this ridiculous red SPITFIRE line - it has the wrong hands for that anyway - and we are in business!

7. micampe

micampe Jan 14, 2019

My thought is that it’s sad that they abandoned the Mark XI design and moved everything to the Luftwaffe style. They had a (slightly, ok) different design that set them apart from the dozens of B-Uhr clones, now they completely dropped it and, to add insult to injury, they gave it a British name!

[​IMG]

Caliber561 and Riviera Paradise like this.
  8. NT931

NT931 Jan 14, 2019

I don't know, they're a little stale. Honestly I'd prefer to save my money and get the 'tropical brown' 38mm Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical at 1/10th the price of the Automatic.

[​IMG]

9. Riviera Paradise

Agreed they did not follow the mark XI 1948 hands, but we (UK) were on the winning side, so we have every right to stamp Spitfire all over that dial and caseback:p:D.
    IWC-Spitfire-Automatic-gear-patrol-lead-full.jpg
    To be honest I dislike the stubby "Minecraft" hour hand of the Mark XI (yes my kids were addicted to Minecraft), so I am perfectly OK with IWC using the "wrong" Luftwaffe style hands on this model, and I think it was really a design decision driven by aesthetics.

If I wanted a clone of the original vintage Mark XI then I would get their tribute model. I prefer this new 2019 version with historical faux pas warts and all + the new movement seems to be an improvement from the Sellita based ETA clones.

But fret not, I am sure that IWC will be milking their automatic pilot watch range with this new movement +2020.:)

Edited Jan 14, 2019
  10. Jones in LA

Jones in LA Mmm... must have shiny things... Jan 14, 2019

Overall, an attractive line-up. The UTC variant is particularly interesting. I expect that they'll sell well.

11. BlackTalon

BlackTalon Jan 14, 2019

I like that black date wheel. The three watches above would benefit aesthetically (to me) if they had black wheels instead of the white ones.

airansun and Riviera Paradise like this.
  12. Riviera Paradise

In terms of legibility the black dial / black ceramic automatic stands out from the rest of the range
    IWC-Top-Gun-gear-patrol-Automatic.jpg

13. Riviera Paradise

Good point. For the Top Gun range I think they have indeed chosen the black date wheel and I think it works out best, and FTR this would also be my normal preference. I think it is just about OK for the new automatic "spitfire", as the white date seems to fill in coherently the space between the Arabic 2 and 4 and I think it works out reasonably well within the context of the the overall dial colour scheme.

14. sgrossma

sgrossma Jan 14, 2019

I am a fan. Maybe they are starting to get things right over there. I hate watching what has happened to the brand and resale values. It is hard to keep buying watches that do nothing but decrease in value.

15. ICONO

ICONO Jan 14, 2019

Always liked IWC Chronos......However, these seem like another ‘refresh’

The Grandfather of the current range is still, the 90’s 3705

107E354D-A3D2-403E-BF34-29E7E7DCACF6.jpeg

16. alam

alam Jan 14, 2019

ADB4197E-9AD0-4448-898B-E36E3E7E7CEE.jpeg
    Pun and Riviera Paradise like this.
  17. FlyingSnoopy

FlyingSnoopy Jan 14, 2019

The new collection seems interesting but it is always best to wait and see it in metal...
    Photos do not always say the truth. We have seen watches that look great in phots and in reality are so and so and, of course, the opposite.
    Cheers

18. LeonDeBayonne

LeonDeBayonne Jan 14, 2019

If it were not specified that this is sihh 2019, I truly could not tell if these were released 2, 5, 10 years ago. The main feeling is : deja vu and boring. And it does not apply to IWC only.

KingCrouchy likes this.
  19. JSal16

JSal16 Jan 14, 2019

The Auto and Chrono in the new Top Gun series look amazing. I can't get past the faux patina on the new spitfires.

20. Albe100

Albe100 Jan 14, 2019

Yo can usually ask them to throw in a strap if you buy it from a boutique. They did it for me when I bought my Tribute last year.