Forums Latest Members

I've torn the seam on my outer box about an inch down...

1. M'Bob Oct 24, 2017

...right in the corner. Any suggestions on a strong paper glue to secure this? Many thanks.
    image.jpeg

2. arcadelt Oct 24, 2017

I've successfully used super glue on paper boxes in the past. I find it best to leave all material in place (that is, no trimming) and try and recreate the original as best as possible. Put the super glue on a pin and use that to sparingly "brush" one side of the tear and then hold in place for a minute. Careful not to stick your fingers to the box, as that will ruin everything.

Edited Oct 24, 2017
    Larry S, M'Bob and wsfarrell like this.
  3. M'Bob Oct 25, 2017

Just what I was looking for. Thanks again.

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 25, 2017

I was gonna suggest scotch tape and channel the squirrel for something pithy, but then I thought about how upset id be if I'd damaged the boxes I have. Good fortune with the surgery.

Foo2rama and M'Bob like this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 25, 2017

Can just grab another off eBay cheaply, they're not hard to find

M'Bob likes this.
  6. kkt Oct 25, 2017

Arcadelt covered it well. The book arts worker in me wants to recommend PVA adhesive instead of superglue, because PVA is archival - acid neutral and quite strong. However, my guess is the box probably wasn't constructed with PVA adhesive, so it would be one strong point in box that's going to decay otherwise regardless. Either way, practice applying the glue with a pin or tiny brush on a different, throwaway box first.

M'Bob likes this.
  7. M'Bob Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for the info. Is PVA adhesive generally stronger than Superglue..or the reverse?

8. kkt Oct 25, 2017

Either should be strong enough for a lightly-used box. Superglue sets faster. Sometimes that's nice because you don't have to hold it as long, other times you want to have a couple of minutes to set up a clamp to hold it in place before it sets.

M'Bob likes this.
  9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 25, 2017

For paper and leather items, I find Elmer's Glue-All is pretty good. It takes a few minutes to set, so you can wipe away excess glue with a damp rag. So long at the tear is not at a stress point, the repair should last for a long time.
    gatorcpa

M'Bob likes this.
  10. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Oct 25, 2017

I have a spare outer box, but somebody has taped around the lower half, which from your picture seems to be the part you need?

M'Bob likes this.
  11. M'Bob Oct 25, 2017

Thanks, but I actually have a couple of these tears so it was more of a general question. You're very kind to offer.