Forums Latest Members
  1. davidsm9 Jul 24, 2016

Hello, I'm a new owner of an Aqua Terra Seamaster. I find that the watch runs for about 5 days and then stops; I guess I'm not much of an arm-mover. Is it ok to manually wind the watch once a week - and if so, how many turns? Thanks. IMG_3960.jpg

2. nurseford25 Jul 24, 2016

It's okay to wind it but I'm really surprised that it would stop while wearing it regularly. I've had my AT on for about two weeks strait and it hasn't once stopped.

OMGRLX likes this.
  3. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jul 24, 2016

That shouldn't happen no matter how inactive you are.

How old is the watch? It might simply be in need of a service, or, at least, a look at the rotor/winding mechanism...

ADD: Manually winding the crown (off the wrist) to full wind won't hurt the watch, but shouldn't ever be necessary for a properly functioning automatic; instead, a few quick spins, then onto the wrist should keep it going...

Edited Jul 24, 2016
    OMGRLX likes this.
  4. davidsm9 Jul 24, 2016

It's only a couple of weeks old. Maybe it was never fully wound? I wound it once - a week ago - about 15 turns. I'll wind it fully tomorrow and see what happens.

5. chich Jul 24, 2016

You can wind it as much as you want, it won't hurt the mechanism. Once it reaches maximum wound, you will hear a small "click" every time you keep winding it, as the clutch slips to prevent over-winding.

As for the watch stopping - if you wear it for at least 4-6 hrs in a day, you should have no issues with it stopping overnight.

dougiedude likes this.
  6. Donn Chambers Jul 24, 2016

I suspect that's the problem. 15 turns is not enough to fully wind it. you'd have to be very active for the rotor to wind to full from that. Automatics are meant to maintain the power, not add power.

Give it the 50 winds or so as already suggested and see if you have any more problems.

7. davidsm9 Jul 24, 2016

Will do and will report back..

8. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jul 24, 2016

Nice watch Davidsm. Welcome to OF.

OMGRLX likes this.
  9. davidsm9 Jul 24, 2016

Thanks.

10. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jul 25, 2016

Nice to see another of this model :thumbsup:
    Personally never wound mine, take it out of the safe, set to time and give it a shake and off we go. Normally only wear for one day before something else takes my fancy but have seen it in the safe a few days later still running to time.

chich likes this.
  11. Nactex Jul 25, 2016

I have the same movement in my aqua terra and it has a 60 hour power reserve. Once started or wound, it does not need to be wound again as long as I am wearing it and I can go a day sometimes 2 with out wearing it and it is still running.

OMGRLX likes this.
  12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 25, 2016

If you wear this every day, it should not stop. Take it back to the dealer and get it serviced.

OMGRLX likes this.
  13. davidsm9 Jul 31, 2016

So I wound the watch fully last Monday, wore it about 9 hours daily M-F, wore it about an hour yesterday (Sat) and this morning (Sun) it stopped.
    Is there any way it could be me? I had a similar experience a couple of years ago with a Stowa. It did something similar and it made 3 trans-Atlantic trips for servicing without resolution.

14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 31, 2016

No it's defective. I used to use winders but I stopped save my Rolex which I use a lot. The only time any of my automatics stopped on winders was due to insufficient rotations. You have a lemon.

15. chich Jul 31, 2016

Yup, agree with that. Something is definitely amiss here.

16. davidsm9 Jul 31, 2016

How would you suggest I deal with this? The watch is 3 weeks old. Contact the boutique from which I purchased it (in a different city from where I live) or contact a service center (would also be in a different city)?

17. soybeanwatch Aug 2, 2016

On a dead start I usually wind mine about 40-50 times. The good thing is that the automatic AT (along with most quality automatics) has a mechanism that disengages the hairspring when fully wound thus preventing any damage.

18. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 2, 2016

Personally I would take/send it back to the boutique, you purchased from them and I am sure they will sort it out.

19. merowinger Aug 2, 2016

Hi guys...another question about the AT: the logo on the crown, is it supposed to be aligned when the crown is screwed down (like on the pic) ? Because on my new AT it's not. Thanks for your input.
    [​IMG]

20. Northernman Lemaniac Aug 2, 2016

It would depend on gaskets and other stuff. My answer to your question would be no.