Forums Latest Members

Is this watchmaker excuse legit?

1. M'Bob Mar 31, 2022

I have a cal. 321 Speedmaster out for service at a very esteemed service center, that shall remain nameless for the time being.

The watch was overhauled, sent back to me, parameters all over the place. Sent back, te-adjusted, pics sent, Dally rate good, low amplitude (under 270 in all positions) and beat rate 1.1.

When I asked about it, they said, “These watches get old and worn, and sometimes can’t be brought into spec.”

Question: is that an acceptable explanation? Should a more detailed reason be given? Thanks.

2. MTROIS Mar 31, 2022

I call BS!

of course, our resident watchmaker will address this better than I ever could, but if your mainspring is still in working condition, the watch was properly serviced + reassembled + regulated… then it should work properly.

At least this is what happened with my 2998-4: working great (within +/- 5 sec / day or better, nearly 320 degree of amplitude) and passed water test… even if I am not taking it in the pool/ocean.

Edit: and IF a part/parts are too worn, are no longer available (NLA) and do affect time-keeping, then I would expect the watchmaker servicing the watch to let me know what is going on before sending the watch back.

kkt, Pun, JwRosenthal and 1 other person like this.
  3. M'Bob Mar 31, 2022

Thanks. Precisely what I was thinking. If there is wear, all parts, or which ones specifically? Where does the problem lie?

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 31, 2022

With the watchmaker :whistling:

Lurk41, ghce, Pun and 3 others like this.
  5. JwRosenthal Mar 31, 2022

Yeah- it’s bullshit, if they just did a CLA, charged you $150 and slapped it back together to get it as close as they can (like I have done with old cheap watches), then fine- you got it as close as it can get without replacing major parts.
    But if this was supposed to be a an actual “service”, then there is no excuse for it to not be within factory tolerances- provided they replaced the worn parts.
    I would ask for an itemized receipt of parts and labor…which they should provided you anyway along with the parts that were replaced- just like the factory does.

Waltesefalcon, Pun and M'Bob like this.
  6. M'Bob Mar 31, 2022

They sent me this, as if to show, “Hey, great rate, huh?” Really?

07E46E12-2A4E-40C0-9DC8-DFA7C5A4CA23.jpeg

7. Dan S Mar 31, 2022

I am guessing they may not have attempted to address those issues.

8. M'Bob Mar 31, 2022

Still trying to sort out if they think they can..

9. proximal Mar 31, 2022

I would be very unhappy if I was told this after service and not during, when parts could be assessed for replacement.

M'Bob likes this.
  10. timoss Mar 31, 2022

I’ve had to bring watches back for additional work a good number of times after a full service. Never had an objection or excuse from the watchmaker about it, though.

M'Bob and Dan S like this.
  11. Dan S Mar 31, 2022

Did you talk to a watchmaker, or someone answering the phone? If the latter, it might just be a standard line that they give when someone complains about the performance of an older watch.

It would be more satisfying to get a more nuanced answer like "that's the best we can do without potentially investing another $500 in parts and time". Of course, it would have been even better if they had given you options before returning it.

M'Bob and MTROIS like this.
  12. ghce Mar 31, 2022

Time to find a real watchmaker I am afraid.

I get truckloads of 60's watches that have had a hard life serviced they pretty much all come back close to new spec and those that don't I get full disclosure from my WM and that's when it is only parts changes that will effect a cure rather than the results a proper service delivers.

M'Bob and Waltesefalcon like this.
  13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 31, 2022

If they don’t have 321 parts available to them they probably did what they could and are hindered by that, some companies do have parts but many don’t so that’s a factor.

Omega D, M'Bob and JwRosenthal like this.
  14. JwRosenthal Apr 1, 2022

Agreed- and that’s when the watchmaker calls/emails the client and says that. They seemed to miss that part before they slapped it back together and took his credit card info.

kkt and M'Bob like this.
  15. timestamp Apr 1, 2022

Sorry for the off topic, but this ad that was inserted for me is just too hilarious :whistling:

CAD3D73D-2FE6-4EFF-9013-3C1507DB0EAF.png

Edited Apr 1, 2022
    dmtowl, Dash1, coronado and 13 others like this.
  16. M'Bob Apr 1, 2022

Exactly. I wouldn’t have thought that was too much to ask…

JwRosenthal likes this.
  17. JwRosenthal Apr 1, 2022

I had a roofing company do work for me with whom I had no experience, but they came recommended. They were to replace my copper gutters and downspouts in kind with new copper (old ones were 70 years old at the time and HOA mandates same materials as OG).
    I came to find out years later that they apparently didn’t have copper hangers, rivets or screws on their truck, and rather than run to the Home Depot which was about 4 miles away, they just used the galvanized hardware they had on the truck.
    Had I been informed that they were lacking the copper hardware- I would have gotten it myself or told them to reschedule for another time.
    Needless to say the hardware didn’t age well and within 2 years began to fail. The company that did the work wouldn’t return my emails or phone calls so I had to pay another company $1k to redo all the hardware and rehang the gutters and downspouts. Hard lesson learned.

noelekal, apsm100, kkt and 1 other person like this.
  18. M'Bob Apr 1, 2022

That sucks.

Take a look at the timing results after I immediately received the watch. When I showed it to them, they told me to “demagnetize it.” also of note: these were generated with the wrong lift angle of 52 degrees. You would think they would know better..

D4DC4156-7FB3-4448-85F4-CA1AE64FB822.jpeg

JwRosenthal likes this.
  19. bombaywalla Apr 1, 2022

i'm surprised Archer isnt all over this thread as yet!! ;)

and, as I learnt from another recent 321 thread, 321 movements are serviced by Omega in Bienne only for the last 10+ years. And, in North Am, very few people can service 321 because of lack of parts. They have to source them from the open market....
    so, maybe you got what was expected....

Foo2rama likes this.
  20. M'Bob Apr 1, 2022

No my friend, I didn’t get anything remotely resembling my expectation, which was the point of the post.

kkt, blufinz52 and tyrantlizardrex like this.