Forums Latest Members

Is this vintage Omega from a Omega servicecenter original?

1. archwatches Jan 9, 2019

Hello everyone,

I have recently bought a vintage Omega and a friend of mine has also shown interest in one. As a good friend I have volunteered to help, which is my way to justify looking at even more watches online ;).

Let's start with the pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://www.wesselinkenvreeker.nl/omega-classics/omega-military-1943-2
    During my search I have found this Omega. It is being sold by a very reputable company, one of the most respected in The Netherlands, especially when dealing with Omega's. But I have my doubts with the dial of this Omega. It looks to me like a 6B/159 that has been sold after the war to the civilian market. Some of those got a MoD redial which looks a lot like the one on this one but not quite. Example of the redial I've seen so far:
    [​IMG]

A few differences, mainly the font of the numbers and the 'Swiss' at the bottom. The hands do seem to be original.

So my question is, is the Omega, sold by an Omega Service Center, original or is it a Frankenwatch?

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 9, 2019

I'll let others comment on the dial, but having looked at their site through your link, I will make the following points.

They say (translated) "very nice dial", but there is no claim of originality.

They characterize the watch as "military", yet provide no photos of the case back or movement?

Frankly, if this is truly "one of the most respected [dealers] in The Netherlands", then I'd hate to shop at the less well-respected ones. :D

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. deni2s Jan 9, 2019

4. deni2s Jan 9, 2019

5. archwatches Jan 9, 2019

They are known for their good watch repair/service, which often translate for people in that they also must offer good watches (for ofcourse a bit of a premium). It's just that I don't trust the dial on the watch and thought maybe one of the members here can give a definitive answer.