Is this vintage Datejust overpolished?

Hi guys!

I'm looking into adding a vintage datejust to my collection - and came across a nice 16000 Buckley dial from the 1980's.

The dealer lists the watch as "polished". As a vintage collector I have tended to value an unpolished watch over a polished piece, but can accept some polishing as long as it's not excessive. However, it can sometimes be difficult to identify overpolishing when you're purchasing online and can't hold the watch in your hand before buying.

I was wondering if anyone had a view on the polishing of the below-pictured watch? Whether or not you notice any evidence of overpolishing, and whether you feel the polishing job could detract from the suggested value?

Personally, while I do feel it looks polished - there still seems to be reasonable sharpness around the edges, at least in the last photo. However, I am slightly unfamiliar with the datejust model (having never owned one before), so keen to get alternative views.

Thank you!

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-05 at 1.58.54 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2024-02-26 at 5.45.44 PM (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2024-02-26 at 5.45.46 PM.jpeg

The lugs are very thin and the lug holes are cratered. I would say this is an example of a badly over-polished DJ.

Still, DJs don't have the collectibility of sport models, and if you can't tell the difference, maybe you just shouldn't worry about it, if the price is good.

The top of the lugs in particular look pretty poor, very rounded and smooth. It's common for DJ's to be polished and taper slightly towards the tips of the lugs, but this would need properly refinishing imo to make it even remotely acceptable, which is addition effort and cost.

It depends on your level of tolerance for a polished case. This one is definitely on the thinner side.
It's a little hard to tell, but I think the lume plots are also not in the best condition which is also something to consider.

This lug alone would drive my crazy to look at - so many DJs out there, no reason to settle for a bad example…

IMG_1418.jpeg IMG_1419.jpeg

Plus look at the back...bad polishing job all around 🙁

Thanks all for your feedback! Seems I have a lot to learn when it comes to spotting overpolishing...

My search continues!

It’s certainly one I would pass on. It’s well polished and you can’t get that sharpness back.

A lot of critics here. It’s a 40 year old old DJ. I’ve seen worse. I’m not sure what’s been circled in the close up of the back of the lug, but I think it’s light reflection. It can’t be lug hole as it’s in the wrong position.

I am a Datejust fan and have a had a few in my collection over the years.

You can do way better than this example. Overpolished case aside, from the poor pictures provided by the seller, the Buckley dial appears to have a number of missing or damaged lume plots. We know everyone is different but some will say that the dial and hands are more important than the condition of the case and bracelet.

Finding a watch with an acceptable amount of case polishing in combination with an appealing dial and handset, is a journey.

When I got the opportunity to purchase an unworn 5 digit DJ, I bought it. It may not be true a true vintage, but at 22 years old it’s the best reference I can offer.

16220 Y serial from 2002

IMG_6886.jpeg IMG_5295.jpeg IMG_5292.jpeg IMG_5298.jpeg IMG_5297.jpeg

This is a 1603 Buckley from 1977

While the case is very good for a 1603, I can’t swear that it has not been polished in the past

IMG_5148.jpeg

I am a Datejust fan and have a had a few in my collection over the years.

You can do way better than this example. Overpolished case aside, from the poor pictures provided by the seller, the Buckley dial appears to have a number of missing or damaged lume plots. We know everyone is different but some will say that the dial and hands are more important than the condition of the case and bracelet.

Finding a watch with an acceptable amount of case polishing in combination with an appealing dial and handset, is a journey.

When I got the opportunity to purchase an unworn 5 digit DJ, I bought it. It may not be true a true vintage, but at 22 years old it’s the best reference I can offer.

16220 Y serial from 2002

IMG_6886.jpeg IMG_5295.jpeg IMG_5292.jpeg IMG_5298.jpeg IMG_5297.jpeg

This is a 1603 Buckley from 1977

While the case is very good for a 1603, I can’t swear that it has not been polished in the past

IMG_5148.jpeg
That is a gorgeous example.