Forums Latest Members

Is this vintage Constellation dial an original colour?

1. clockmaker May 30, 2017

Good afternoon I have been a keen vintage omega collector now for a few years but have been finding it a lot harder to get vintage omegas at a decent price and most now only seem to appear on ebay.
    As a new member to forum I hope some one can advise me about this watch I bid for and got on ebay at a lot lower price than I expected!!!!!!!

THE WATCH IS A 1950s CONSTELLATION CAL 505 MOVEMENT 24 JEWELS IN CASE 2852-9SC STAINLESS STEEL CASE THE DIAL IS ARROW BATTONS WITH NUMERALS AND LISTING STATES DIAL REFINISHED.
    MY ISSUE IS THE DIAL HAS BEEN REFINISHED BROWN!!!!!

My questions are
    Did omega ever produce a brown dial for this model.

Also looking at the watch is it all original except for bracelet it is later I know.

Is the watch correct or is it a mixture of parts put together with a bad refinished dial in wrong colour or is the dial colour correct for watch originally.

PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT FOLLOWING LINK FOR EBAY SHOWING IMAGES OF WATCH AND LISTING

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-O...UrYxrTFNYUELv2fsEkBB4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Your opinions would be much appreciated

2. werdna77 May 30, 2017

Hi. The short answer there was not a "brown" dial offered in this model. You might find dials that have browned with age only. This not is a poorly done redial

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 30, 2017

Edited title to make it more relevant to the thread and remove the caps, can you not use caps in posts as well as its considered shouting and quite rude.

BenBagbag likes this.
  4. Willem023 May 30, 2017

why are you SHOUTING and why do you not post pics?

Edit: crossed with @dsio 's post. Thanks

5. clockmaker May 30, 2017

very sorry new to forum will not use caps in future but any information would be much appreciated thanks for your reply

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 30, 2017

Ultimately the reason the watch went low was that it was a redial, and that takes a huge chunk of the value out of the watch. A lot of dealers will use weasel words and euphemisms to skirt around the fact that the dial has been refinished but this guy was actually very upfront and honest about it in the listing:
    DIAL: PROFESSIONALLY REFINISHED BROWN

It wasn't originally brown but its not original anymore regardless, so yea that's why it was cheap but you can't really cancel it on the grounds that he mislead you on the item as he was truthful in the listing.

7. Gordon Heavyfoot May 30, 2017

You should ask here BEFORE you bid or buy. If the seller's description is accurate you are now obligated to pay for the watch. This is what is commonly referred to as a "noob tax". If you like the look of the watch and will enjoy wearing it just go with it. The price you paid isn't as ridiculous as many that are seen on here. Good luck.

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 30, 2017

Its still not a bad watch to wear, the movement is probably ok, the bracelet while aftermarket looks ok aesthetically and it'd be fine for daily use its just not a collector piece.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  9. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers May 30, 2017

The case is quite nice and the dial doesn't look to bad.
    For the price you can enjoy as a good daily beater.

And after so many 'tropical' Speedies its about time we had a chocolate Connie :D

Edited May 30, 2017
  10. clockmaker May 30, 2017

very sorry new to forum didn't realise caps was shouting sorry if I caused offense not sure how to post pics but will try to add pics of watch so I can get advice about the watch I bought many thanks for your reply.

11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers May 30, 2017

oops - of course I meant price...

12. clockmaker May 30, 2017

Thank you everyone that has replied to post, I am happy with the watch and have already paid for watch just needed a bit more information about the dial colour which I have got all the information I need for the watch so will be using and wearing the watch I do like constellations so I know its not a collectors piece but was not bought as such but now I am a member of this forum will check into it for advice before I look at any future constellations or other omegas.
    Many thanks to everyone who took time to reply to my post much appreciated.

13. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers May 30, 2017

@clockmaker welcome to the forum
    If you like Constellations do a search for the Constellation show and tell thread - it is a veritable feast for the eyes
    And if you have other vintage Omegas please post them too
    We like to see all kinds of watches here !

14. clockmaker May 30, 2017

Thank you for the welcome and for the thread as well, yes I have a two other omega constellations but a bit newer and seamaster and speedmaster as well so will be happy to add photographs as well for them and will wait and see the latest omega arrives via ebay.
    many thanks.