Forums Latest Members
  1. Dan S Jul 25, 2018

I'd appreciate some additional opinions before jumping into this project, because I actually think I can do this. :)

I need a case-band like this for a project, and it doesn't look too bad except that someone has applied a brushed finish to the angled surfaces, which should be polished. The brushing doesn't look too heavy, and I was thinking I could perhaps work on it carefully by hand with a series of fine sandpaper grits and then polishing compound. I am reasonably handy and have some experience with metalwork (machining and welding) and carpentry, but I'm obviously not a professional jeweler or refinisher. To those of you who have experience with this, do you think I could basically restore the correct polished finish (not attempting to remove deep scratches) without badly damaging the edges? Also, while you are looking, please tell me if there is some other flaw that I'm missing about this case-band (I see that there is some pitting between the lugs on the 6 o'clock side). Many thanks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Omega-Speedmaster-Professional-321-Watch-145-012-67-Caseband-Mid-Case/163159643800?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. wsfarrell Jul 25, 2018

I've done some polishing, but I wouldn't touch a Speedmaster case. Polishing the top (angled) bevel would inevitably soften the sharp line between bright and satin. That line could be restored, but it would require a lapping machine and would result in significant loss of metal.

Dan S likes this.
  3. td69 Jul 25, 2018

I think the OP is referring to polishing the lyre profile of the case (the surface between the side and the top facet). OP is correct this part should be polished (notice the first photo the area between the pushers that still retains polished).

To OP: I'd only try the least amount of polishing e.g. cape cod polishing cloth and try to match the shinier look of the finish of that small area between the pushers.

PS: I believe the seller is an active OF member.

Dan S likes this.
  4. Dan S Jul 25, 2018

Yes, it's possible that CC cloth, or some Novus polishing compound would be all that would be required - along with patience and attention to detail.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 26, 2018

Doing this by hand with sandpapers, cloths, etc. will make it far more likely that you will round off the edges. Sometimes there's just no substitute for the proper tools, and I would say this is one of those times. It needs to be done on a bench lathe (polishing machine) using the correct type of buffs and polishing compounds. It's not a difficult job at all - I polish these lyre shaped lugs often, without removing sharp corners. But it needs some experience and the right tools to do it properly...

Cheers, Al

Dan S and td69 like this.