Forums Latest Members
  1. seamonster Respectable Member Jan 25, 2013

2. MyVintageOmega Jan 25, 2013

I feel that the candle-stick hands are original to this watch,as is the bezel. The dial seems to be painted or reloomed and the big triangle seems off centered as do some of the other markers. The big triangle seems created and I suggest that it was not a big triangled dial to begin with. The 6 marker seems un-loomed as to show off the original hole that appears in most of these dials. Often one picture can only invite an opinion....that is mine.

3. seamonster Respectable Member Jan 25, 2013

Respectable Member MyVintageOmega

Are we confronted with an 'improved' version of the SM 300?

Thank-you.

4. MyVintageOmega Jan 25, 2013

More of a destruction.....I would think.

seamonster likes this.
  5. seamonster Respectable Member Jan 25, 2013

Surely you have used the appropriate word to describe, what has actually happened to that otherwise lovely watch from Omega. Unfortunately, this watch is not alone.

Thank-you.

6. pitpro Likes the game. Jan 26, 2013

Can you tell me more about the hole?
    What was it's purpose? Which models have it? Which don't? Just big triangle? Just late dials? etc.?
    Thanks

7. Wheels Jan 26, 2013

MyVintageOmega, if you click on the pic it links to the auction. There are many more photos there. The question I have is are there different ref numbers for big triangle dial SM300s than normal SM300s?

8. MyVintageOmega Jan 26, 2013

I am not yet an expert and love to still just gather the information and have yet to find a big triangle that has it's own unique ref.#. that differs from those with non-triangle. Always open to learn more and hope others can chime in for more insight. Some more info here http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...mega-Seamaster-300-including-Military-watches

reficul_x likes this.
  9. MyVintageOmega Jan 26, 2013

The pinholes were part of the manufactured process only and most all originals have them but there are those that do not. My sm300 (original) has a pinhole at the 12 marker but not the 6. The lume process will have often filled or covered it I gather. I imagine that different outsourced dials were not all created equal. Hope our member (flame) can drop some more info as I think he has discussed this at some point in the forum and definately knows alot about this watch and others of coarse. More ref. on this watch here.....http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...mega-Seamaster-300-including-Military-watches

10. seamonster Respectable Member Jan 26, 2013

From my personal observations, it is easier to get an Omega dress watch (Seamaster or Constellation) in spectacular or close to factory-original condition, while the same cannot be said about the SM 300.

Why is this so?

Thank-you.

11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 26, 2013

Dress watches are more expensive and were usually worn during special occasions. Sports watches were cheaper, more robust and were more frequently daily wearers.

MyVintageOmega likes this.
  12. MyVintageOmega Jan 26, 2013

I am confident that one can only imagine why. I would guess that most 2nd and 3rd party owners don't understand that it is the original patina that creates the value of this watch. Others will send it in for a service and get the watch back with added changes that were not specified in the first place. Others may simply want a refurbish as the watch to them is a daily wear keeper. Some of the dials can be so badly damaged from moisture that the owner seeks out a replacement. What ever the reason there are more frankened and non factory originals available nowadays than the factory originals. There seems to be more untouched Seamasters and Constellations as they make up a much larger and broader group than the specific SM300's....IMO

13. seamonster Respectable Member Jan 26, 2013

Respectable Member MSNWatch

A very logic explanation and it is appreciated.

Thank-you.

14. seamonster Respectable Member Jan 26, 2013

Your explanation is appreciated. To the many, once the titanium has changed color, they mistaken think the dial is damaged. Ignorance has caused lots of excellent examples to become an eye-sore, instead.

Thank-you.

15. Littleroger Jan 27, 2013

Thanks for telling is about the pinholes - I wasn't aware of that.

I also agree with MVO, I reckon this is a relume and that the triangle was added over a small triangle. If that is true, it's the first time I have seen that (though I am sure it has been done before.) Quick and easy way of increasing value.

I have never seen big triangle versions with different ref numbers.

16. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 27, 2013

MyVintageOmega likes this.
  17. seamonster Respectable Member Jan 28, 2013

Respectable Member LouS

Indeed, the link provided us by respectable member MyVintageOmega is very informative. After going through it and sighting the examples there, I think the SM 300 is one of the most beautiful watches, produced by Omega. The dial furniture plus the candle-stick hands give the watch a very balanced appearance.

Those who have managed to own an excellent and unmolested example can be considered lucky. Surely demand will grow for this Omega beauty.

Thank-you.

18. Dash1 Jan 30, 2013

I doubt that would be possible without repainting the whole dial as the triangle would not cover the '12' numbers that are present on non BT dials!

No the BT's do not have a seperate case ref, but its fairly easy to tell if a dial is original - the pin holes are a great way to see if it has been relumed (although there are examples where they are very indistinct), among other 'tells.'

19. Wheels Jan 30, 2013

Thanks for the info on the BT case numbers. It was a question for my own learning.