Forums Latest Members
  1. prat7 Jan 12, 2018

Hey all! I recently stumbled upon this vintage Seamaster for what seems like a bargain, I wanted to ask if any of you could tell if its fake or very much real. I am not experienced on these vintage pieces so your help would greatly be appreciated! Thank you! I am hoping that this is authentic as I plan on snagging it for my first vintage! The link I found it from was https://www.etsy.com/listing/551824...a_search_query=omega watch&ref=sr_gallery-1-1 .

2. dan7800 Jan 12, 2018

What does your own research tell you?

Crown and case back look off to start

3. Spartcom5 Jan 12, 2018

It looks fine to me, I actually found that same exact watch couple weeks back for $220 at a pawn shop. However at that price in that condition I'd stay away IMO.

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 12, 2018

It's authentic. An American cased Omega, but it's a bit of a dog.

Look around, there are much better waiting for you.

GuiltyBoomerang and dan7800 like this.
  5. Spartcom5 Jan 12, 2018

Were you the one that bought it? Also, I'm pretty sure this isn't a Seamaster.

Edited Jan 12, 2018
  6. prat7 Jan 14, 2018

Yes I did end up buying it. I know it won't be valuable for re sale or anything like that. But I saw a picture of it restored and plan on getting it restored because I loved it. I know it will cost a pretty penny but I actually love the watch when I saw a picture of it in very good condition so I don't mind. I just don't know if sending it to a independent or Omega would be the best option later on. ( I understand this watch won't have good re sale value but I don't care about that as I love how the watch looked restored honestly. I also misread the listing and didn't mean to put seamaster. Thanks for all of your guys help though I appreciate it!

7. prat7 Feb 12, 2018

Hey just wanted to give you all an update. Last week I went to my local OB and got it sent to bienne for a restoration! I will update the thread with pictures whenever The work is finished and also when I receive my estimate just to give other people an idea of the price of this service in case they are thinking about taking it to Bienne or to compare prices to other watchmakers!

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 12, 2018

Put these on before you look at the estimate.

AD.jpg

Caliber561 and chanbar like this.
  9. prat7 Feb 12, 2018

Yeah @JimInOz its going to be a pretty penny. :eek:Hopefully they do a good job as I have read some horror stories about different hands that were not even original to that model, but I have also seen some good work as well! fingers crossed*

10. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Feb 12, 2018

Why not just buy an original one???

I am so confused::facepalm1::

11. prat7 Feb 12, 2018

12. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Feb 12, 2018

You bought a watch that should never be restored, and when you are done with it, you could have spent the same amount or less on an original vintage Omega.

You will be pissing away a ton of money...literally flushing it down the toilet.

13. prat7 Feb 12, 2018

So basically the model I bought is not even worth touching? The better idea is to buy something like a vintage seamaster or a constellation for about the same price correct? @watchknut

14. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Feb 12, 2018

you got it!

what you bought is fine if you like it...just don't spend a penny more to restore..
    total waste.

15. prat7 Feb 12, 2018

Also since I am a newbie to vintage omega watches. Could you inform me on whats so bad about the watch? Just the model itself or the movement?

16. prat7 Feb 12, 2018

and also, for the price the restoration might potentially cost (I am geussing $1500-$200 since the caliber is old). Is it possible to get a constellation in that price range?

17. chanbar Feb 13, 2018

Yes you can. Check out the private sales section here on the forum. The OB service cost alone would buy you one. ::facepalm2::

Caliber561 likes this.
  18. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 13, 2018

There are lots of very nice Constellations in that price range.
    Buying ‘retail’ will cost you more - so look for private sales or auctions.
    You just have to know what you are looking for before you buy.
    If you like the style of the Seamaster you posted, the dome dial Constellations are more affordable than the pie pans.

19. Caliber561 Feb 13, 2018

Considering it's an American-cased watch, who knows what will happen to it if it's restored in Bienne...

JimInOz likes this.