Forums Latest Members
  1. HistoricalGamer Nov 29, 2019

During thanksgiving my mom and I were talking about watches and how I was starting to get interested in them and she went and got a bunch of my dad's old watches out. The one that stood out was a Omea Seamaster De Ville. and I'm trying to figure out if it's real or a fake. I figured there's a high likelihood that a chance encounter with something like this was a fake. My dad did use to do a lot of black tie dinners and the like so it wouldn't be out of character to have a nice dress watch but I'm trying to temper my expectations. The watch is pretty battered and either way needs major servicing including a replacement for the winder/nob on the side but any thoughts would be appreciated. (ignore the Fossil in the right hand corner, that was a gift from my wife 5-6 years ago and I was comparing it size wise on my wrist). View attachment 881433 View attachment 881434

2. HistoricalGamer Nov 29, 2019

I didn't snap pictures of the back but it's a plane cover with no engravings, the only thing on the metal on the back is under the strap and barely viable unless you really look for it is an engraving that says 14k gold filled, but the cover itself is without engraving which kind of makes me suspicious in of itself. .

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 29, 2019

It's real.

MJKauz likes this.
  4. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Nov 29, 2019

Let us know whereabouts you live and someone will have a recommendation for a watchmaker to service it. A new crystal will make it look pretty good.

5. HistoricalGamer Nov 29, 2019

I'm in Chicago, the watch is presently with my mom in Milwaukee, I'm in either city pretty regularly, though I live in Chicago.

6. Edward53 Dec 1, 2019

I don't know how that started life but I don't believe it was a Seamaster De Ville, which IIRC changed to simply being De Villes at the end of the 60s. But whatever it is, the dial has been redone and not terribly well. My guess it's a De Ville from the mid 70s with a 1022 movement.

7. skipper Dec 1, 2019

My SM De Ville for comparison, bought new by my grandfather in Sep 1968. I imagine there were different styles of De Ville over the years, so I guess yours not looking much like mine is no reason to believe its not genuine, though I've never seen another De Ville with a day/date?

[​IMG]

Samir likes this.
  8. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 1, 2019

Treiber and Straub in Brookfield will open it and give the important information.

Tom

9. skipper Dec 1, 2019

cbs59 likes this.
  10. HistoricalGamer Dec 1, 2019

11. HistoricalGamer Dec 1, 2019

Thanks! I'll have it brought in there!

My mom took it into Husar's in Brookfield for an initial look and their master watchmaker seemed to think it looks like an original, the day of the week part was not common for these watches they said but some did have it.

Samir likes this.
  12. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 1, 2019

Actually a pretty common US market reference. These were available in 14K solid gold, 14Kgf (ref C6336) and stainless with 14K trim. The 14K solid gold reference is fairly often seen co-branded TIFFANY on the dial.

The dial is quite likely original, I have seen legitimate original dials of this reference with the long S.

13. HistoricalGamer Dec 1, 2019

Mind if I ask why you think it's been redone? I don't really know anything about watches and would appreciate any insight you might have.

14. Edward53 Dec 1, 2019

I am going by the text of "Seamaster", which looks very clumsy and uneven to me, especially the a jammed up against the e and almost falling over in its attempt to reach the (wonky) m. I suppose it might just be a variant I haven't seen before, but it's hard to believe Omega would have sanctioned something as "off kilter" as that.

dra43b likes this.
  15. Edward53 Dec 1, 2019

Just read this and always willing to take on new information. But if that "Seamaster" text is original, I'm, er, surprised!

16. Noddyman Dec 1, 2019

Edward53 likes this.
  17. Edward53 Dec 1, 2019

@Noddyman that is weird! Every day is a school day here...

hoipolloi and Noddyman like this.
  18. HistoricalGamer Dec 1, 2019

Thanks everyone, I'll post a pic of it once it's fixed up.

19. Dr. Laplace Dec 2, 2019

I can confirm that this is a common Seamster DeVille. Seems legitimate.
    In Mexico, where I live, this particular model seemed to be quite in fashion. I see them with the day markers in Spanish.

20. dra43b Dec 4, 2019