Forums Latest Members
  1. ShaneMason Oct 1, 2020

I purchased a new Globemaster Constellation on Saturday. Wore it to a meeting today and after I went to my car where I noticed the wrist section of the strap was scratched. Now, I'm definitely no expert on watches or metals but I can't help but think the watch shouldn't have scratched this much (I'm a senior manager in a large company, so don't do anything manual for work) and judging by where the scratches are: it seems to be where I have rested my arms on the table. I've asked two other watch enthusiasts who are friends of mine over here in the UK their opinions and both have said it is sub-standard / poor quality and I should return it to the store. What are your thoughts? Is this my negligence, or is it indeed not expected to be scratched so badly after less than a week?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Evitzee Oct 1, 2020

18k gold is softer than SS. It has to be treated as such. Not defective.

3. ShaneMason Oct 1, 2020

Thank you! Any advice on how to buff it out? Will cape cod polishing cloth work perhaps?

4. Canuck Oct 1, 2020

I suspect you’ll have to become accustomed to scratches. The dealer MAY do something for you.......this time. There’s no sense thinking that exchanging it for another watch will be the answer. Tungsten carbide or ceramic watches will be more scratch resistant, but they bring a whole lot of different problems.

ShaneMason likes this.
  5. ShaneMason Oct 1, 2020

Thanks for your reply. To be honest, I'd much rather keep it and polish the scratches out if I can - any ideas or advice on the best methods to use?

6. bigsom Oct 1, 2020

I would leave the scratches as they are part of the watch now and that's personally worth more to me than shiny mid links. They'll always scratch. You could polish them every year, but why remove the gold you paid for ;-)

7. ShaneMason Oct 1, 2020

I just read somewhere else that "scratches are like battle scars; and each one tells a good story". The sad case with this instance is that story would be very short and go something like: " I'm a idiot for wearing a watch with 18k gold to the office not thinking it'll get scratched!" :taunt:

heavenscloud and bigsom like this.
  8. Dan S Oct 1, 2020

I don't think there's any connection between quality and scratches when it comes to 18k gold. Gold is gold, and it's soft. And that finish looks like it is going to show every little scuff. Unfortunately, you will just have to learn to be extra careful with it, or live with some marks.

janice&fred and ShaneMason like this.
  9. ShaneMason Oct 1, 2020

Yep. Lesson learnt, for certain! Would you have any advice for buffing the scratches out by any chance?

10. Dan S Oct 1, 2020

I'm not familiar with that bracelet, but the links don't look polished. Are they brushed? If you buff out the scratches, you will then need to restore the finish.

ShaneMason likes this.
  11. Sherbie Oct 1, 2020

On brushed stainless Steel bracelets, to get a “new” brushed finished look, people use small pieces of what brits would call “brillo” pads ie scouring pads

just go to ebay and search bracelet refinishing pads - you should be able to find something like this
    5007AB16-5E79-4F3F-9E08-642A527F34B8.png

Ps - do this at your own risk, and start extra gentle - i have done this for stainless steel, i havent done this for gold (as dont have any gold bracelets)

pps - you have a shoddy AD - they left loads of plastic stickers on your watch, that need peeling off!!!! Ironic really - as if they had not peeled the sticker off that was protecting the gold Part you scratched, you wouldnt have this issue !!!

Edited Oct 1, 2020
  12. Andy_timeman Oct 2, 2020

Gold will unfortunately mark and scuff very easily especially on the bracelet part that is in contact with a desk et al. Not at all defective.

watchyouwant and ShaneMason like this.
  13. Marsimaxam Oct 2, 2020

If scratching the bracelet is something that will constantly irritate you, then perhaps consider getting a leather, or crocodile strap and set the bracelet aside.

If you want to wear the bracelet, you have a couple of options if you are adverse to scratches
    1. Always wear long sleeve shirts, sweatshirts, t shirts, sweaters and jackets
    2. Get some plastic protective adhesive to place on the bracelet in the clasp area
    3. If you are right handed, keep your left hand in your pant's pocket at all time.
    4. Have the bracelet re-finished every now and then

Hopefully you'll accept the bumps and bruises that happen to all our watches... it's life.
    omega-constellation-globemaster-52mondayz-7037.jpg

heavenscloud, yande, bigsom and 2 others like this.
  14. gbesq Oct 2, 2020

Not defective. Gold scratches very easily. As others have said, you can restore a brushed finish to stainless steel yourself. I have done so many times with a moistened Scotch-Brite pad. Use gentle pressure and always rub WITH the grain. I have NOT tried this on a gold surface. Scratches to any metal bracelet are inevitable. If they bother you that much, my suggestion would be to remove the bracelet, have a watchmaker remove the scratches, sell it, and replace it with a good quality alligator strap which, by the way, looks GREAT on the Globemaster.

ShaneMason likes this.
  15. Winston_Smith Oct 2, 2020

Any minor and negligible scratch on a vintage watch feels like that annoying stain that appears on your brand new shoe or white sneakers. You don't know where it comes from and while you actually take good care of your item, it happens somehow anyway! This may feel annoying but I agree with @bigsom and others above. Gold watch parts are quite delicate in that sense and it's not a major problem if they have a few scratches here and there. My suggestion would be to just give your eyes sometime to get used to it and keep enjoying the spectacle on your wrist!

bigsom and ShaneMason like this.
  16. ShaneMason Oct 2, 2020

Thanks for you view, sincerely appreciated. Although frustrating; I tend to agree with you.

17. ShaneMason Oct 2, 2020

Great advice, thank you!

18. ShaneMason Oct 2, 2020

What a great reply - thank you; sincerely appreciated! I do love my new watch, and I wouldn't want to not have it, so getting used to bumps and scratches is something which I'm going to have to get used to.

19. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Oct 2, 2020

Good to see you here, Andy ! Kind regards from Down under. Achim

20. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 2, 2020

Is a week-old Globemaster already considered vintage?