Forums Latest Members
  1. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Aug 12, 2012

At first I thought it was ok, but then something told me it wasn't right. The way the crosshair crossed the text looked kind of off to me, and some of the letters in the Chronometre Officially Certified didn't look right.I thought the S in Seamaster looked decent though and it had the patina. ::confused2:: I ended up changing my bid at the last couple of minutes and lost though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What interested me was the case and the movement though. I thought the back was cool, and the engraving on the caseback reminded me of the early Speedmaster/300 engravings. It also looks like it might have been a jumbo model? There's a replacement case from watchco so it looks like it's correct.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Omega-...419803952?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item5892c98b30Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was this a rare one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320959507679?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 12, 2012

Yes, rare jumbo cal. 505 chronometre. Not quite 100% sure about the dial but it may be correct. Went for a bargain - I was the underbidder and in hindsight should have bid higher but am preoccupied with other vintage omegas at the present time...

3. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Aug 12, 2012

Now I'm regretting changing my bid! Pretty sure the case would have cleaned up nicely as well. Not sure if you saw but there's a nice Speedmaster from shear-time. I don't know how the pricing is like for these old Speedmasters but the seller is a good guy.

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 12, 2012

Yes saw that speedmaster - and while decent enough, case is a bit beat up and the bezel is a replacement. That being said it should still go north of $3000.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 12, 2012

My gut tells me that it is a very old redial, but I would need to see at least one other example of this dial style to really have an opinion. I only say that due to the separation of "Swiss" and "Made" at the bottom of the dial. That's unusual for these 1950's watches, but not unheard of.

Not real good evidence either way,
    gatorcpa

6. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 12, 2012

Yep, Gator, IMO you're gut is right to raise objections :) I agree about the redial.

Cross hairs are not fine enough for an Omega dial of the period; uppercase lettering is not properly centred under the applied Omega logo and not all printed indices are properly aligned with the applied markers.

Cheers

Desmond

7. bob martian Aug 13, 2012

I think the backplate is interesting.

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 13, 2012

The dial furniture with Romans at 12, 3, 6, and 9 is a nice touch, guess its probably on other models but I'd never noticed it before, its very subtle.