Forums Latest Members
  1. purplecat Jun 7, 2020

I know it's always a big risk, but looking for feedback anyway. Based on the missing lume pips around the perimeter of the dial, it looks like this might be an accumulation of broken lume and/or dirt. Has anyone had experience cleaning something similar?

Thanks in advance!

::confused2::

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg
  2. apsm100 applysome! Jun 7, 2020

Looks like an older redial that has aged. If this watch has some sentimental value it may be worth either refinishing the dial again or sourcing a dial from a donor watch.

McKinley and JwRosenthal like this.
  3. JwRosenthal Jun 7, 2020

Nothing will change that dial- it is what it is. Crown is wrong too. Case isn’t too bad.

DaveK and apsm100 like this.
  4. purplecat Jun 7, 2020

Based on the sub-seconds font? It did look abnormally clean to me as well.. also don't see Swiss Made on the bottom.

I didn't even notice the glaring empty space around the crown.

These answers are more than enough feedback I was looking for. Thanks guys.

ConElPueblo and apsm100 like this.
  5. Dan S Jun 7, 2020

There's no harm in trying since it's a terrible dial anyway, both in terms of damage and repainting.

DaveK, Maskelyne, JwRosenthal and 2 others like this.
  6. JwRosenthal Jun 7, 2020

...and replacement crowns can be had. If this thing is cheap enough and you can get a movement and caseback pic to verify they are correct- this could be a prime candidate for redial and it could be a stunner once done

7. purplecat Jun 7, 2020

Auction price is $445 with no bidders and 'make an offer' option. Too many negatives for me personally even with the restore option, but if you want the link, it's all you :)

8. Dan S Jun 7, 2020

Silly price.

DaveK, purplecat and JwRosenthal like this.
  9. JwRosenthal Jun 7, 2020

I was thinking $150-200, the restore would run you $400-ish last I checked....and you wouldn’t recoup that if you chose to sell- so yeah, hard pass.

purplecat likes this.
  10. purplecat Jun 7, 2020

Well you've all contributed to my omega-ducation and that's priceless.

11. JwRosenthal Jun 7, 2020

I think when we all start collecting, the bargain hunting is appealing (trying to dip your toes rather than jump in), but project watches become money pits. I bought a Deville that was a “bargain” in similar shape when I just got into omegas and had it redialed. I had $800 into that watch by the time I was done and it looked great, but it was a redial and I just couldn’t get over that- so sold it to a friend at a loss who didn’t care about the redial- he loves it.
    I have had a few watch dials that have cleaned up a bit, but that’s usually just haze on the indices or surface crud- not damage like this one.
    If you don’t like the condition of a dial or find it attractive at the moment you see it (through rough crystals and bad pics is harder of course), then just walk- it won’t improve.

Edward53, dougwhiz, HunterJ and 2 others like this.
  12. Dan S Jun 7, 2020

Not to mention that it's just not fun trying to sell a flawed watch.

apsm100, purplecat and JwRosenthal like this.
  13. purplecat Jun 7, 2020

Thanks for the tip and you read me perfectly. Wasn't super into Omegas (just assumed they were all too pricey though my budget has predictably increased over the past year of getting into vintage auto/mechanical watches) until I saw these fat lug models. Now I'm itching to pick one up. Attempting 'patience' is probably my best bet at this point.

DaveK and JwRosenthal like this.
  14. JwRosenthal Jun 7, 2020

Yeah, patience is key- and these early fat lugs are chunky and fabulous and wear larger than their size conveys IMO- worth waiting for a good one. They do pop up in the classified’s here on the regular (although sub- second models less so) and garner a premium in good shape. Budget about twice what that guy was asking and you’ll get an excellent example with minimal dial “patina” and possibly even a recent service. If you want one- rip off the bandaid and buy the best you can afford. Once the watch is in hand and money spent- you won’t even feel the sting.

purplecat likes this.
  15. purplecat Jun 7, 2020

:thumbsup: The sub-seconds isn't a make-it-or-break-it deal for me, but I'll definitely heed your advice. Some minor patina and wear wouldn't bother me at this point but it's good to have a better idea of the price range because these types of Omegas are all over the place. I should probably stick to this forum for a while before I stray too far into the minefields.

timecube, DaveK and JwRosenthal like this.
  16. Edward53 Jun 7, 2020

The best option with "project" watches is not to buy them. Unless you are a watchmaker with access to vintage parts, or unless the individual parts are worth well in excess of the price, they will leave you stressed, out of pocket and probably dissatisfied with the end result. The "bargain" is almost always an illusion.

Edit: By "project" watches I don't mean those with filthy cases, scratched-up crystals and nasty straps or bracelets. Those can be the best buys of all.

JwRosenthal and purplecat like this.