Forums Latest Members

Is this Datejust original?

1. WatchmakerTheory Mar 12, 2017

I found this Datejust 1601 on Ebay. The seller lives very close to me, and so I have the option to complete the transaction in person.

My question to OF: does the watch look good? I have less experience dealing with Rolex watches.

The date wheel has closed "6" and "9"s. Does this suggest it has been replaced? Does the dial look original?

Finally, do you think $1700 would be a fair price for this watch?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg
  2. sxl2004 Mar 12, 2017

To get a better idea the serial number or parts thereof, the model ID, a picture from the inside of the case back as well as movement pic would be helpful.

3. Babar Mar 13, 2017

And closet pic of the dial. But the case seems damaged .

4. ajg1960 Mar 13, 2017

serial numbers and models for Rolex are typically between the lugs, not on the caseback. Cant see it in the photos-- are there numbers between the lugs?

5. ConElPueblo Mar 13, 2017

Where?

6. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Mar 13, 2017

The date wheel is latter date service replacement and most likely the baton hands too. While this may be a no-no to high grade vintage collectors, IMHO for us regular Joes/Janes this could be a good honest, watch.
    Bigger experts than me, please let me know if I missed anything egregiously wrong on this watch.

7. M.C.B1974 Mar 13, 2017

The dial looks correct, the model looks like a 1603 with a white gold fluted bezel. The crystal doesn't look correct to me, it looks to high off the case. Bare in mind that I am no expert. Best of luck!

8. Kmart Mar 13, 2017

Yeah I've been seeing a lot of vintage Rolex and Tudor with those superdomed crystals lately, looks horrible in my opinion.

WatchmakerTheory likes this.
  9. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Mar 13, 2017

Service replacement crystal, no big deal...

10. Kmart Mar 13, 2017

Certainly not a big deal, didn't mean to make it seem like one. I just don't think they look good, that's all.

OMGRLX likes this.
  11. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Mar 13, 2017

Looks like a very nice watch but things to take into consideration:
    Do you know the service history? If not, add a few hundreds to the cost..
    No bracelet, a used one could be $300-700+, depending on condition. A jubilee would be a very nice addition.
    Case has some pitting on the ends. The main thing is to ensure the pitting is not present on the case/caseback where they meet because it may cause a problem with the water seal. Maybe you can meet with him at a watchmaker to open the back (you want to do this for final verification anyway)..
    It has a very nice desirable black step dial.
    If it has a documented service, I think the price is fair to good.
    The serial number is at the 6 o'clock (to give you an idea of the year production) and the model at 12 o'clock.
    Nothing cheaper on the Bay.
    Maybe if you buy local, you can get a discount..
    These are great beater watches!
    Good luck!

12. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Mar 13, 2017

Just found it on the Bay, looks like it was purchased with a best offer..

13. onthedial Mar 14, 2017

@WatchmakerTheory
    Like others have mentioned, handset, crystal and date wheel appear to be service replacements. Dial looks good although would want to see clearly focused macro shots. Case is acceptable but has definitely been polished. Based on what I can see, the price is fair.
    -------------
    Instagram: @onthedial