Forums Latest Members

Is this correct? Rare Gold Seamaster 198.0016 diver

1. DavidMartin Dec 7, 2018

Can you please help me rate my (rare) Seamaster and check if this info is complete and correct?
    I would like to sell it
    It's old stock, never used.

Seamaster Diver 300 M
    Code: L 1801366
    Case material: Yellow gold
    Year: 1971
    Condition: old stock, never used
    Scope of delivery: original box, no original papers
    Caliber: Movement/Caliber: Omega 1250
    Base Caliber: ESA 9162
    Number of jewels: 12
    Frequency: F300 Hz A/h
    Case material: Yellow gold
    Case diameter: 41 x 45 mm
    Thickness: 14 mm
    Water resistance:10 ATM
    Glass: Mineral Glass
    Dial: Black
    Dial numerals: No numerals

Functions: Date, IMG_1214.jpg IMG_1219.jpg IMG_1221.jpg IMG_1224.jpg IMG_1227.jpg Center Seconds, Luminescent Hands, Chronometer, Rotating Bezel, Screw-Down Crown, Only Original Parts, Luminous indexes

kyle L and cristos71 like this.
  2. DavidMartin Dec 7, 2018

Please note that I am not trying to sell this watch here, I just have no idea of how much my watch might be worth and if all my info is correct so that I can try to sell it.

3. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Dec 7, 2018

All looks correct to me, those solid gold cased SMF300's are pretty rare and that looks in really nice condition too(the odd time I have seen one the cases have been overpolished). Must be pretty heavy! I have the stainless steel variant.

638675-cfdd420ec4aae09cfd3236d8ff3b2e84.jpg

4. DavidMartin Dec 7, 2018

Looks great on the pic! I have one just like yours too, still with label on it.
    The gold variant, i have an offer for 2700 euros, do you think it is a fair value?

5. ac106 Dec 7, 2018

sure buddy

Hnansen likes this.
  6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 7, 2018

Certainly not new old stock with that big scratch on the back. ::facepalm1::

7. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 7, 2018

Not remotely NOS at all, but yes in good condition. I take it the scratch in the back is when you opened it to see if it was full of acid and mercury? If so is the movement still in good condition? Did you take a photo when you were in there? If the movement is junk it can be fixed or replaced but you can't have it both ways, it is either NOS, or it is opened and here is the pic. The scratch says it was opened.

These are a big chunk of metal, I had a steel one too but if it is mangled inside then you lose some of the additional value as a watch.

marco likes this.
  8. DavidMartin Dec 8, 2018

Yes, unfortunately, a few years ago, at the jewlery shop the person who opened it to check and change the battery did that awful scratch. But thankfully the battery was intact. Yesterday i put a new battery and the watch is working fine.

I still need your advice, do you think that if I sell it for 2700 as it is would be a fair price?

9. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Dec 8, 2018

These are so rarely seen for sale it's difficult to advise on price. Sounds like a very generous offer to me though(there watches aren't for everyone) so if you're happy with it I'd take it. My best guess is somewhere between 1400-2000 Euro would be about right assuming movement it clean and humming away nicely. As mentioned though, that's a complete guess and have no idea what they sell for.

padders likes this.
  10. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 8, 2018

Yep, totally agree on an open ebay sale I can't see that making much over €1,750, though the condition and box will add value for sure, perhaps a few hundred over a less pristine loose watch. It is a nice thing for sure but of niche interest and there is still a certain amount of (perhaps warranted) snobbery about the hummer and quartz models. Both also have fanatical collectors too though it should be said. In the main though these are no where near as desirable as an equivalent auto and many 18K gold autos can be got for this kind of money.

Edited Dec 8, 2018
    Paedipod, ConElPueblo and marco like this.
  11. Rochete Dec 8, 2018

Sell it before he changes his mind.

Paedipod likes this.
  12. DavidMartin Dec 9, 2018

I still don’t understand how come a Watch which everyone here agrees on being rare should be sold for not much more as its value as scrap gold. It is not an auto nor manual, but aren’t hummers also sought after by collectors? There is no other specimen of this watch in this condition listed anywhere.
    Could you please help me find a collectors forum where I can double check the information I am looking for with this post?

13. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 9, 2018

Rare doesn’t equal valuable. Hummers’ just aren’t as sought after as autos. At a guess, the gold value is circa £1k if 18k (half that if 9k of course) so there is still quite a premium over scrap if our estimates are correct, around the value of a steel Smf300 over in fact

I thought you had an offer of €2700 so what do you care what we say? Take the offer.

ps this is as close as you will get to a hummer forum, I don’t know of any specifically devoted to them. My avatar is a hummer...

pps. Not a forum but there is plenty of info on hummers here:

http://electric-watches.co.uk/

Edited Dec 9, 2018
    joso, tyrantlizardrex and ConElPueblo like this.
  14. Edward53 Dec 9, 2018

You have been given good advice by people who know what they are talking about. Not sure what more you want.

Paedipod likes this.
  15. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 9, 2018

Edited Dec 9, 2018
    ac106 likes this.
  16. ConElPueblo Dec 9, 2018

€2700 seems like a good selling price to me. As Padders writes, "rare" does not equal "valuable", at least not necessarily beyond the base value of the component parts. Look at how much (or, how little) these go for when they are not gold - that should say something about how desirable the aesthetics and mechanicals are.

FWIW, the box adds little value without matching papers.

Perhaps @Tom Dick can offer some insight?

padders likes this.
  17. DavidMartin Dec 9, 2018

First of all i am very thankful for all your kind replies and trying to help me on this.

After a long search I found only one watch like mine selling, and it is quite near me. It a very worn and over polished watch which is beeing sold by a used jewlery shop for 3600 euros. I can post the link here if you’d like.

I asked them if they were willing to by mine and they said they would buy it for its value as scrap letting me keep the machine. They had weighted their own and it had 96 grams in 18k gold which is around 1900 euros of scrap.

As I said before I am not trying to sell it here, I am not even an experienced seller, I just want to make sure I am not giving away a watch that might be considered a rarity, maybe a one of a kind watch in the condition mine is.

18. lillatroll Dec 9, 2018

I think it would be more desirable if it had a gold bracelet and not a leather strap. If someone has offered you 2700, bite their hand off and take their money. It is a beautiful watch and I would like to have it in my collection, however there are also a lot of other watches that are further up the list, like the speedy lcd pro that is on the private for sale section.
    Again the Lcd pro is quite an uncommon watch, especially with the bracelet, not rocking horse shit rare but they don t come up often. Similar age mechanical speedy pros go for approximately double the lcd version but are very much easier to find. I am sure if you wait long enough you could get what you think it is worth but how long is another matter.

19. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 9, 2018

interesting. Is the 96g net of the movement and crystal weight? What is the weight of the complete head?

20. DavidMartin Dec 9, 2018

Weight of the gold case plus crown. Not counting any machine element. This is a heavy watch. I need to buy a car and that is why I am selling this. I have it for many years and now I need the money.
    From reading all the comments here I am inclined to sell it for the 2700euros offer, but still not 100% sure as “one of a kind is one of a kind”. Always thought I had a rarity on my hands :D