Forums Latest Members

Is this correct a speedmaster needs to 'settle ' ?

1. Pompey Nov 14, 2015

after service not worn for a while. But with first wind up ran very fast.

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 14, 2015

No need to keep posting threads,

Have you had it demagnetised yet. If you have and still running fast watchmaker.

Help us help you, how old is the watch, who serviced it (ie watchmaker, jeweller, back yard tinker) you may still have a service warranty.

But no should not run fast by five minutes ,and if it is it will not settle down that much. 5 seconds maybe

(Post a pic you may get your first like ;))

3. Pompey Nov 14, 2015

Watch is 2007. Just purchased and last service was 2014. Not worn since service til I acquired. Was running at least 5 mins fast per hour ! Had it demagnetized today was still running fast til it run down. After rewind again running perfect ??? I'm puzzled. Service carried out by omega.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 14, 2015

Keep a eye on it for a few days with a full wind every morning. Sounded like magnetised was the issue. ( not sure of running fast after demagnatised)

5. Canuck Nov 14, 2015

Settle? When it is running at least 5 minutes fast per hour? There is something drastically wrong when it runs that much out. Don't try regulating it! Don't try demagnetizing it? You say it was just purchased, and that the previous owner had it serviced in 2014? It seems to me that this SHOULD be the problem of the person that sold it! And whoever it was that serviced it. Do not wait for it to "settle", because it won't.

mike@speedy likes this.
  6. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Nov 15, 2015

I would have it demagnitized again and checked right away. Sometimes a first pass doesn't get it to let go and needs a few attempts to get it right

7. mike@speedy Nov 15, 2015

I think its simple....sent it back to omega

8. ulackfocus Nov 15, 2015

It seems the Speedmaster gremlins are active again.

9. OmegaSean Nov 15, 2015

On a positive note you only have a 22hrs day :eek:

OmegaSean

PS On my 3rd glass of vino

Cheers

10. Maximus84 Nov 16, 2015

To be fair, I've demagnetised my Speedy twice, and on each occasion it took 2/3 days to 'settle' back into a regular rate.

Since I last did that (on 23 Sep) I haven't adjust the time at all, and the watch is at +1.8s. Note, that isn't the daily rate, it's the total time fast over an atomic clock!!

It does run slightly slow/fast depending on how I store it for the night, or how long I leave between winding, but as I know all this I can 'self-regulate' and keep it pretty much bang on!

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 16, 2015

A Speedmaster will need to settle in when serviced.
    But only at the completion of movement assembly by your watchmaker as the lubricants distribute correctly. There is still much work to do after that before your watch is returned and it will certainly be well settled in by the time you get it (if you're using a good watchmaker that is).