Is this an authentic Omega pocket watch?

Dear experts of this wonderful forum,

I know nothing about pocket watches but still I'm condering buying a vintage Omega pocket watch as a christmas present to my husband. from a seemingly reputable Etsy seller who collects watches. Please help me!

What I know:
Omega Caliber 19 from 1920 (or 1920's, not sure)
Mechanical number: 5655007
First and second cover numbers are the same: 6627245
Mechanism diameter: 5.1 cm
Thickness (?): 1.5 cm

Here are the seller's photos
il_794xN.3360526778_hq1y.jpg il_794xN.3408221077_s9b3.jpg il_794xN.3360529376_kuvz.jpg il_794xN.3360526758_31kl.jpg

Is this pocket watch real deal or not?
Thank you for your time and effort! I really appreciate that!
Edited:

I recently asked the same question about one I have, to which the response was it is genuine although a certain parts of the movement being different to normal was quoted, it's not as nice as the one you show, also older and in poor condition and not working but as you can see the movements are very much alike.
OMpw1.jpg OMpw3.jpg

@OMG04 Thank you for your response! I did some research, and it seems that the pocket watch is genuine (the numbers match to the time period). However, if it's really a 101-year-old watch, it is truly in prime condition! I just don't want to be fooled.

il_794xn-3360529376_kuvz-jpg.1332903

This doesn't look like a vintage dial. It looks more like a piece of paper. The Omega font printed on it is what I associate with a 1970s Omega. Hard pass for me.

@RN_Jonja, great to ask here before buying. It looks to me to be a real Omega watch, but the dial has been replaced/repainted, the second hand is wrong, and these are just the problems noticeable at first glance. Someone could claim a dial is original (the metal disk) but when it is repainted there is next to zero collector value unless for sentimental reasons.

There were some metal dials like the one you’ve shown seems to be (though it kind of looks like it came pit of a laser printer). I’d bet that this watch was born with a vitreous enamel dial like is shown below - though with any manner of typeface.

83194310-FF59-480D-B574-83B998A52291.jpeg

There are plenty of other fish in the sea. Walk away from that one.

The watch you buy your husband will still need a service before it is worn. This could be $200-$400, depending on the work needed and where you live. Lots of sellers say a watch has been “cleaned” or “inspected”, but these are useless terms made to dupe a buyer into thinking it has been professionally serviced and any needed parts have been replaced.

An Omega pocket watch is a lovely gift. But they don’t carry the premium price that an Omega wrist watch would. Don’t overpay for one.

If you are in North America, a US made pocket watch will likely be easier to get serviced, and could be of better quality. There is a whole world of pocket watches to lecture on... what style does your husband like? If he plans to wear it regularly, a railroad approved watch will have a high quality well worth the investment as his first or only pocket watch

@sleepyastronaut Thank you for responding! English isn't my native language so I want to make sure that "hard pass for me", does it mean that you wouldn't buy it?

I want to make sure that "hard pass for me", does it mean that you wouldn't buy it?

Correct, exactly. You can replace a lot of parts on a vintage watch, but a replacement dial can often the most difficult to locate.

Good point about the dial, I'd have no idea about dials and my input was only based on how the movement looks compared to my one.

il_794xn-3360529376_kuvz-jpg.1332903

This doesn't look like a vintage dial. It looks more like a piece of paper. The Omega font printed on it is what I associate with a 1970s Omega. Hard pass for me.

@DaveK Wow, I'm absolutely floored about your response. Thank you! Well, I'm in Europe. So the US is a bit out of question because of the VAT and the customs duties. I think that my husband would wear the pocket watch to weddings and funerals only. That's why I would not like to break the bank for occasional use. The asking price was 160 euros (180 US dollars).

@DaveK To be honest, the payment is pending (PayPal) but there is still time to cancel the order if necessary.
I'm a simple woman, I liked the clean look of the dial but now it is bothering me...

The dial is not original, perhaps repainted somehow using a modern font.

Oh dear, if I cancel the order, I'll be in deep trouble! I won't have anything to place under the christmas tree ::facepalm1::

I would cancel, as anyone familiar with pocket watches will instantly recognize that the dial is not correct. If you are in Europe or the UK, you should have no trouble finding a nice Swiss or British pocket watch within your budget. Online estate and jewelry auctions are a good source and pocket watches in general are not that expensive, unless you are going after a premium brand or high-grade movement. The auctions often tell you if it is working or not, and they sometimes have video clips showing the movement while the watch is working. In most cases, all the watch will need is cleaning and lubrication from a watchmaker. This usually costs more than the watch itself.

@DaveK To be honest, the payment is pending (PayPal) but there is still time to cancel the order if necessary.
I'm a simple woman, I liked the clean look of the dial but now it is bothering me...

It’s bothering you because it Is a bothersome dial 😉 Lots of nice watches are out there. Best to get an honest watch late than this one

Oh dear, if I cancel the order, I'll be in deep trouble! I won't have anything to place under the christmas tree ::facepalm1::
This is an excellent project for next year. If that is not an option, you could locate watchmakers in your area and see if they have any serviced pocket watches for sale. If they don't, they may be able to direct you to someone who does. You will be paying full market price if you choose this route.

@DaveK and @amcclell Honesty is the best policy and the truth hurts, right? 😉 I'm humbled by all the responses I got. Thank you all! I'm going to cancel the order and take my time finding the perfect one.

I’m picking up another pocket watch from my watchmaker today. So if you like, this one could be available for you. It is circa 1903-1907, and was serviced by my watchmaker maybe 2 years ago - so it is running fine and ready to wear. I managed to pull the bow off it a few days ago (the ring on top of the winding stem) but he will put it back on for me when I go in today - it might take a few days. There is a bit of honest wear on the case (it is apx 117 years old) and a small hairline on the dial under the subseconds at 6:00. It would ship from my home in Canada. If you’d be interested (considering VAT etc) let me know and I can provide more photos, the watch is discussed already here https://omegaforums.net/threads/the-omega-pocket-watch-thread.122246/.

$500 CDN plus shipping

7DCF7E42-D456-4EE8-BE80-59A228F57616.jpeg F4144330-FA4E-4F2C-A614-171F14F49F03.jpeg 626761F8-9F25-4CD1-A052-0348AB6A63C9.jpeg

PS since you are new to the forum, know that you can send me a private message to discuss details.

Well, I was too late and PayPal-payment was already made. I requested an official cancellation from the buyer on Etsy, but I don't know if he will accept it.

I asked the buyer about the dial and to his knowledge the dial has not been changed. If he doesn't accept the cancellation and he will send the item on Monday, I shall receive a YouTube-video of the pocket watch before shipping.

@DaveK I appreciate your offer. Thank you! Your pocket watch is beautiful, but over my budget. My husband likes silver coloured watches.