Forums Latest Members

Is this a redial or I don't understand reflections?

1. Slideit Aug 20, 2019

Etp095 likes this.
  2. TexOmega Aug 20, 2019

looks original and mighty fine to me

3. Lurk41 Aug 20, 2019

I am not an expert of checking paint on the markers, but here it seems pretty even and it spreads across the whole index sides. Even if it looks white in the pictures, the sides are too "clean" for me to have some paint on it: it is the reflection of the white dial.
    I guess that when looking for paint on index, it is more about "speckles" (not sure if the word is correct), uneven look / paint stains on the sides of the markers.

Most of the time I spot a redial (now even of models I never saw before) because of the typo (uneven spacing, not sharp, same letters that look a bit different) and the secondary (painted) markers that are not all pointing to the same direction. People that are able to reproduce these 2 things perfectly are also capable enough to not put any paint on the markers. If I do not see anything wrong and I am interested in the watch, then I look for other examples and/or model history guide to confirm it is legit. But I never check for paint on the markers...

I do not know this model and I do not know too much the Seamaster typo and its evolution. But at first glance it seems legit. If it is a redial, it was well done.

Slideit likes this.
  4. Mac5 Aug 20, 2019

Looks very good. Did you buy it?

5. Slideit Aug 20, 2019

No, thinking about it. New to vintage, doing my head in!

6. Tigeranteater Aug 20, 2019

It looks legit and doesn’t set any alarms off for me but take what I say with a grain of salt as I am fairly new. Trust the opinions of the knowledgeable people here.

Slideit likes this.
  7. rkny18 Aug 20, 2019

Omega logo is spot on. If it were a redial, which I do not think it is, it would likely be an older redial because lume dots rarely survived a redial back then, and these dots have age appropriate patina. But the dots themselves look pristine and perfectly placed, which old redial jobs rarely managed to pull off.

Slideit likes this.
  8. Slideit Aug 20, 2019

Thank you guys for all the feedback!

9. apsm100 applysome! Aug 20, 2019

Very nice. That price is a little painful though for a gold cap.

Slideit likes this.
  10. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 20, 2019

I was just looking at that, $2150 :unsure:

Lucasssssss, Slideit and apsm100 like this.
  11. Slideit Aug 21, 2019

Can I ask what you guys would consider fair (so not a bargain you'd jump on without hesitation)

12. Benbradstock Aug 21, 2019

This vendor Omega Enthusiast seems to be legit. He’s knowledgeable and services all of his watches before putting them up for sale. His YouTube videos are educational. You’ll pay a premium, but I’ve heard nothing but good things.

BenBagbag and Slideit like this.
  13. merchandiser Aug 21, 2019

The seller is well respected and the watch is in great shape.

Slideit likes this.
  14. impalla62ss Aug 21, 2019

I think you could do much better for $2,150.00. This is gold capped. It is very nice and the movement looks new, but this price is more than retail for solid gold or NOS. I may be missing something, but I would think half the price would be on the high end of retail.

Lucasssssss, Edward53 and Slideit like this.
  15. apsm100 applysome! Aug 21, 2019

I guess his website is vintage Omega on ‘easy’ mode and for that you pay a premium with less headache. If that exact watch was on eBay I’d reckon it would hammer at tops $800USD.

16. Slideit Aug 21, 2019

This is why I ended up there. Also he has a big range of similar quality watches, so it's easy to compare different models and styles quickly. I also like they come serviced.

I'm happy to pay a premium to get a nice piece for my first go, I just have to decide how much of a premium I'm comfortable with!

BenBagbag, Benbradstock and apsm100 like this.
  17. Walrus Aug 21, 2019

Yeah if your heart is set on it and it brings you joy I guess it’s ok but for 2100 you have a lot of other options

Slideit likes this.
  18. apsm100 applysome! Aug 21, 2019

I think you should go the more patient route. You’re on OF already and have an idea of what a correct, good piece is. Scour eBay and watchrecon daily and I am sure you’ll find something great, especially at 2100.

Slideit likes this.
  19. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 21, 2019

Offer him less and see what he counters with. He knows his price is very high.

merchandiser and Slideit like this.
  20. Benbradstock Aug 21, 2019

Buying from an established seller like this at a premium is just a second kind of noob tax. And I would argue it’s preferable to the first kind.

If you love it, and you’re uninterested in taking the time to learn the skills to identify a good piece at a bargain price, I’d say go for it.

Slideit likes this.