Forums Latest Members
  1. Gogom Dec 28, 2018

Deal all,

I found this unusual example dial with arabic numbering, which the seller claim its a special order from UAE to omega back in late 60s, i'm new to vintage omega, is the movement and the rest part legit? i would appreciate a feed back regarding this piece.

Thank you cheers

Vintage_Rare_Omega_Seamaster_for_UAE_1967.jpg IMG_20180504_WA0028_scaled.jpg IMG_20180504_WA0027_scaled.jpg IMG_20180504_WA0029_scaled.jpg
  2. KingCrouchy Dec 28, 2018

Hands are probably not the original one, the Mouvement is legit and is a Cal 1020 and was first introduced in 1972, so the watch can't be from late 1960s. I would ask for a picture of the inside of the caseback. To judge the crown we would need a side shot of the watch.
    Can't judge if the dial is a redial for sure. Ask also for a picture of the clasp of the bracelet, to judge if it's a genuine one.

Edited Dec 28, 2018
  3. pennsyl936 Dec 28, 2018

What does the seller offer to back up the claim that it was special order from UAE in late sixties?

As a side note - the UAE was founded in Dec1971.

asrnj77, Mark020, Gogom and 1 other person like this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 28, 2018

As noted the hands are not original as they have no lume. These dials seem to pop up randomly. As for this dial leaving the factory that way... no way to know unless marked on the extract. Everything but the numbers seem original quality.

5. Gogom Dec 28, 2018

Thanks for the advice, i will get more info on that, im suspecting the hands is AM since the most common seamaster from this time has a lume

6. Gogom Dec 28, 2018

There is no evidence regarding this claim, even i do some research to find the similar example in existance, there is none, if its a redial or AM dial, its should be very unusual to do

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 28, 2018

Not as unusual as you would think. They don’t tend to come up for sale in the west.

8. Gogom Dec 28, 2018

Yes, its no where else to be found, im trying to get the reference for this particular, and none exist. Could it be UAE special 1 0f 1 piece?

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 28, 2018

A reference can have multiple dials. The reference number is on the inside of the caseback.

Gogom likes this.
  10. Dan S Dec 28, 2018

It's important to keep in mind that rarity does not always equal high value, and speculation about whether something is legit is pretty much irrelevant in the absence of documentation.

Whether it's legit or not, I don't think it is particularly valuable. So if the OP likes the piece, he should not pay a premium price. In the absence of documentation/provenance, he should just buy it for the same price as a custom-dial/redial. Because if he goes to sell it someday, he's certainly not going to get a lot for it.

chronoboy64, Gogom and Foo2rama like this.
  11. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Dec 29, 2018

Cool dial :)

Gogom likes this.
  12. asrnj77 Jan 2, 2019

Except the country didn't exist in the 60's so it would be really rare "hey let's make one random Omega dial in case we form a country in 10 years" . I don't see anything on the watch that says UAE and there are many countries that have Arabic dials. It could just have easily been made for Saudi Arabia.

Gogom, kov and fskywalker like this.
  13. fskywalker Jan 4, 2019

How much is the guy asking for it? Sounds like he's demanding a premium for something might not be really special

Foo2rama likes this.
  14. Gogom Jan 6, 2019

He is asking for US$340, but i didn't know much about this tipe

omg smstr likes this.
  15. Gogom Jan 6, 2019

May be its true its made for Saudi Arabia and not UAE, i think the seller wrongly describe

16. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jan 7, 2019

The watch may have been produced for one of the individual Emirates and the seller is conflating that with the (later) UAE.
    It could equally have been produced for someone in Saudi, Kuwait, Iraq or Iran - all had huge (oil funded) buying power by the end of the sixties.
    An extract should at least tell you where the watch was delivered and if you’re lucky, if it had an original special dial.
    I can imagine that the watch would be quite desirable in a number of the Arabic nations today.