Forums Latest Members

Is this a good watch or buy questions ( The price helps us better to help you )

1. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 3, 2017

With most posts like this " Is this a good buy " no one ever gives the best bit of information most well knowledged members need to give the best yes / no answer. PRICE

It may be a good watch for $1000 and a bad watch for $5000

I see so many watches posted with no price listed and it shouldn't be the many great members helping having to ask or skirt around the no price.

DaveK, apsm100 and Spruce like this.
  2. ConElPueblo Oct 3, 2017

Agree. I think some of the posts that lack prices/links to sales do so because of other fora's rules for posting are much more restrictive.

Sadly, a lot of those posts show watches which is a bad buy regardless of price...

DaveK, mydeafcat and Spruce like this.
  3. Vitezi Oct 3, 2017

Would it help to move some of the introductory stickies to a separate "new member advice" forum, posted at the top of the omegaforums.net page?

Suppose you are a new member who has come here seeking 'is this a good buy' advice on a Longines dive watch. You'll miss the "For the New Members READ" sticky, because it is currently located in the 'Vintage Omega Watches Help' forum, and you're here looking for Longines help...

DaveK and mydeafcat like this.
  4. Ninja2789 Oct 3, 2017

Maybe we could develop a template that everyone should follow. Something like requiring the items below before someone provides resources.

1. Pictures: Dial, Case (movement optional)
    2. Price

People should definitely make an effort if they want help.

NGO1 and Waltesefalcon like this.
  5. cristos71 Oct 3, 2017

Totally agree, only this morning I was asked to give a price range on a watch based on one quite poor picture and no additional info.

I do also think a lot of inexperienced members are scared that if they give an asking price someone else will track it down and jump on it if the asking is particularly attractive.

But yeah, if you need to ask then you are clearly lacking the knowledge that gives the competitive edge to the experienced collector.

As many of us have spent years, sometimes decades, building up that knowledge I can't really sympathise with their worries. I can say from my own buying history that in the last couple of years it is getting harder and harder to find a great watch at a friendly price.

Shabbaz likes this.
  6. kylevanz Oct 3, 2017

This is a great idea. As a long time listener and first time caller here, I am worried about posting some questions in the wrong section or taking a risk and buying something I shouldn't have. As an aside, where is the best forum sub-section to post price, pics and details to find out a) am I being taken for a ride or b) does this watch look fake?

7. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Oct 3, 2017

Depends on the watch. If it is an Omega, it would go in either the Modern or Vintage forum, if non-Omega it would go in the appropriate brand subforum if there is one, if not it should go in the "Other Watch Brands Forum".

Just please, please don't post those questions in the "Recommended on Ebay" or "Beware/Please Report a Fake" threads. Create your own thread, summarize your own research and opinions of the watch, provide photos and links, and don't feel bad if the consensus is the watch is a franken, redial, trashed, or grossly overpriced.

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 12, 2020

Even the “what’s a good price for this” or “what would you pay for this” . When it’s already got a dealer or sellers price.
    Just a simple it’s selling for $900ish or ballpark figure. We know if maybe a bit of haggle you might do good.

But if it’s dealer and 3x asking price it’s a waste of everyone’s time.

There are hundreds of beaut watches at dealers for 3x the asking price that even experienced collectors would love, but not at 3x the going rate.

Dimitris, cristos71, Spruce and 2 others like this.