Forums Latest Members

Is This A Genuine Pie Pan? If Not, I Think It Should Be

1. alexgalt Mar 4, 2013

It seems like a lot of you like the pie pans and your posts have made me interested. I don't need another interest. Saw this one for sale on an auction site and I can't find any other pictures like it. I really like the center part of the dial. Do any of you know anything about a model like this? pie.jpg pie2.jpg pie3.jpg

2. ulackfocus Mar 4, 2013

Well, it isn't a pie pan. It's an early version of the modern SMP. IIRC, it's 36.25 mm wide with an 18 mm lug gap and has either the caliber 1109 or it's replacement the 1120 (which continued into the newer models befor the co-axial caliber 2500 was introdiced). Not a bad daily wearer if you can get it for a decent price. Can't tell you what that is becaus I haven't kept up with pricing.

3. alexgalt Mar 4, 2013

Thanks Dennis. I thought pie pan meant the raised center portion, I guess it refers to the raised center and the truncated edges around the perimeter. Looks like it will sell for about 600 US$.

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 4, 2013

It is a nice watch but it is not in any way a pie pan. A pie pan has a dial that has a raised Dodecagon shape in the center to form a pie pan shape. Even a round area in center relief does not meet the definition.

12-gon_37388_lg.jpg !B0l43OQ!2k~$(KGrHqZ,!igE)qydcMh7BM,+e4Bo-Q~~_12.jpg

5. alexgalt Mar 4, 2013

Steve, Thanks. I spent some time trying to think of the right word and ended up with truncated and knew it wasn't correct. I'm halfway through my second refreshing Red Lion. If I don't have a third, I hope that the word "dodecagon" will be burned into my memory. Of course, if I have a third, I won't be able to remember how I ended up with a dodecagon tattoo.

Wheels likes this.