Forums Latest Members
  1. Thumpinhard25 Aug 8, 2016

Hello all, first thank you for help. I recently inherited a Omega watch from my grand mother. I have been searching around and believe it to be a omega constellation however it does not say constellation on it. The markings show "Omega automatic chronometre officially certified." I found the receipt from when she purchased it used at jewlrey store back in 1989, however it does not state the model. It just says " omega men's automatic wrist watch with genuine lizard black band - made in Italy " The band did apparently have lettering on it, however it has worn away. I can't seem to find any photos of information on it. I would love to learn more about it. Thanks again.

image.png image.png image.png image.png image.jpeg
  2. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 8, 2016

No, it's a chronometer but more likely a rather well worn 14311. Some of these predate the Constellation, and post-1952 some had the applied star attached to the dial and are known as "Globemasters" even though not mentioned on the dial.

Nice scientific dial, but IMO the hands have been replaced and the sweep is awful.

Thumpinhard25 and kyle L like this.
  3. Thumpinhard25 Aug 8, 2016

Hi thank you for the reply. Any idea the year range on something like this? Was it common for chronometer to be spelled cheonometre? With the re.

4. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Aug 8, 2016

That's the way Omega spelled it. Chronometre.

I'd take it to a watchmaker and have them pop the back off. Take some pictures of the movement numbers and the info inside the caseback.

It would tell us a lot more...

Thumpinhard25 likes this.
  5. Thumpinhard25 Aug 8, 2016

I will do that. Assuming it's a 14311, is this a very valuable watch? I'm just curious on how specialized of a jeweler I should take it too. Looking at under a $1,000? Or 1-2k?

6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 8, 2016

That sweep looks like it came off a Smiths.

wilderbeast likes this.
  7. Thumpinhard25 Aug 8, 2016

Hi. Can't see the original post about the dial you quoted. So it looks like the hands have been replaced at some place on it? yoh mention smiths, can I ask what that is?

8. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 8, 2016

An English watch maker. Their sweep seconds hand looks very similar.

9. Thumpinhard25 Aug 8, 2016

Thanks, been reading about the 14311, not that I would sell it, but how much gold is in the bezel of these things?

10. alam Aug 8, 2016

still nice IMO, and has restoration potential to make it right...

11. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Aug 8, 2016

I wouldn't take to a 'jeweler' I would take it to a 'watchmaker' especially one that is sympathetic to vintage watches.

I took a valuable watch to a 'jeweler' once when I was new to vintage and his first question about my mechanical watch was "You think it needs a new battery?"

I have no idea how valuable that watch is. May be a gold case and it may be gold-filled. Won't know until you pop the back.

If you state the area where you live someone may be able to suggest a 'watchmaker'.

12. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 8, 2016

The hour tick marks do not consistently align with the hour markers (triangle tips). The text is a bit inconsistent as well. Possible redial?

13. Thumpinhard25 Aug 8, 2016

Thanks for the information. I'm in Memphis TN. That's kind of what I was afraid of with the jeweler. The last piece I reviewed from my grand mother was my wife's engagement ring, I took it to Jared the galleria ( who I bought my tag from) to have sized and was turned away. Turns out the ring was over 100+ years old, hand engraved platinum and they actually didn't want to touch it. Had to go to a specialty place in Dallas TX. I really appreciate the help from you guys, I don't want to make a mistake a screw up a watch by doing something dumb.

14. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 8, 2016

Best to weight the watch and take off around 14 grams and then multiply by .75 - that will give you gold content in grams, from which you can convert to troy ounces and check against the gold price.

Agree, could be a refinished dial. High res pics would sort that one out.

Yes, in the 50s the spelling was chronometre until the later 50s when it changed.

15. Thumpinhard25 Aug 8, 2016

Well was able to use a fingernail to pop the cover off. Looks like it has some stuff scribed into the back cover.

image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png
  16. Thumpinhard25 Aug 8, 2016

image.png image.png image.png
  17. Thumpinhard25 Aug 8, 2016

Best I can do with my phone for now

image.png image.png image.png
  18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 8, 2016

The dial is almost certainly a redial. The lettering is way too crude to have come from Omega like that. Also, the dial register marks are far off from the corresponding 5-minute markings.

Here's an example of a similar dial that is all original:

[​IMG]

The thing about this particular reference is that there are very few in existence with their original dials. There was just something wrong with the finishes used on them. Here is one of the few I can find:

[​IMG]

Read all about this one (owned by a forum member) here:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-14311-a-chronometre-review.4566/

Here is an ad from the mid-50's showing your watch. I believe that Omega erred here, as the ad is for a "Chronometre", not a Globemaster, which would have had a star on the dial, similar to the Constellation.

[​IMG]

Your watch has the hand-stamped "OXG" near the balance, which denotes a US market movement.

Very nice watch, despite the redial. A good watchmaker who knows his Omegas, should be able to find you a proper seconds hand to replace that one.
    gatorcpa

hendra324, Thumpinhard25 and GregH like this.
  19. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 8, 2016

Dial has clearly been redone.

20. Thumpinhard25 Aug 8, 2016

Thanks gator. I sent you a PM, I hope you don't mind. I am curious I noticed the numbers on the watch and the numbers on the back case don't match. Should they?